Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #1
Registered Users
Back carrier questions

I'd like to carry my 14 month old on my back to get things done. Problem is she gets fed up with it because she can't see over my shoulder. I guess I have a slightly long torso or something because I boosted my Mei tai up on top of my hips at my natural waist and she still could not see over my shoulder. Are there any more structured carriers out there that would work better? I've tried an ergo and found it uncomfortable as did dd.

WAHM Wares
Ask about custom size children's undies!
sandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Registered Users
Different carriers shouldn't make much of a difference- it depends on where you tie/buckle the carrier. High back carries are actually near impossible in ssc's.

YouTube "Mei tai high back carry" - you'll probably tie the bottom strap above your bust.
The time has come, my online friends, to talk of many things:
Of flats, and wool, and all in ones - of breastfeeding and slings-
And why our bed is cramped at night,
and the joy my children bring!
lalaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Registered Users
Re: Back carrier questions

MY MIL (who wore her babies before babywearing was cool) swears by structured backpacks for this very reason. She has an ancient one but I'm sure you could find a hiking pack of some sort that would put your little one WAY up high.
Swagbucks is FUN!
aaiya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Registered Users
My Mood:

With a mei tai, just tie it under your bust and you should be able to get a high back carry. You can then tie the straps Tibetan style for a more secure carry. I have a reverse half buckle that I tie up high like that so my little guy can see over my shoulder. I do the same thing with a full buckle carrier and it works too.
F1Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #5
Registered Users

I actually tie waist straps OVER the bust and do a high back carry from there. Insanely can start the baby on your shoulders, put a strap over each leg, and lower them into the carrier. I wouldn't recommend it for women prone to plugged ducts, but they can definitely see everything.
moiety is offline   Reply With Quote