Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #51
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Just another theory, some forms of depression can heighten the pain senses. Are you on any anti-depressants? Some can help with these symptoms maybe talk to your ob or pcp about this and what is safe during pregnancy. At this point the ER isn't able to do much to help you and I really don't think it's for lack of wanting, I think you are running the risk of affecting your baby from all these meds.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pai...ations/PN00044

Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 03:24 PM   #52
nohollyhomaker
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Because this is a well visited forum, I need some help. Update #29

Quote:
Just another theory, some forms of depression can heighten the pain senses. Are you on any anti-depressants? Some can help with these symptoms maybe talk to your ob or pcp about this and what is safe during pregnancy. At this point the ER isn't able to do much to help you and I really don't think it's for lack of wanting, I think you are running the risk of affecting your baby from all these meds.
Kidney stone pain is on another realm. Someone would be depressed from the pain not in pain because of depression when it is kidney stones. I know I couldn't function at all when I had an attack and did need the IV pain meds and it wasn't because I was depressed. It had nothing to do with that. I even had unmedicated births and found those MUCH less painful then kidney stone attacks. Anti depressants have risks too and they don't help the pain of kidney stones.

Last edited by nohollyhomaker; 10-07-2012 at 03:27 PM.
nohollyhomaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #53
holly6737
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is their reasoning for not doing the stents in pregnancy? I have seen it done before. I know it is possible.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #54
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Based on a pp's comment, I read a bit more of your history, and you said somewhere that you've been dealing with being labeled as a drug-seeker for the last 6 years, from your last pregnancy through now, correct? Why are none of your doctors providing the meds you say you need if you've been dealing with the alleged seeker issues for so long? In all that time, have they really not gotten a plan in place for you?

I also read that you'd talked to the hospital admin a few months ago (or at least were planning to). What is the outcome of that?

It seems like there should be very clear referral plans in place with such a long history. ETA: Which means, at this point, I'd look into new doctors or filing a complaint with the appropriate board.

Last edited by soonerfan; 10-07-2012 at 06:36 PM. Reason: to clarify
soonerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #55
Resellmybelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Grand Prairie, TX 75052 If I owe you feedback, please PM me a reminder!
My Mood:

I haven't read all the threads, but I would look into what is causing your heartburn and kidney stones, in case you do not already know. We went vegetarian near vegan most times and my DH's regular heartburn totally vanished within weeks. My lifelong chronic asthma also completely reversed. We are completely med free after being dependent.

detox info.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:10 PM   #56
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpmercury

Kidney stone pain is on another realm. Someone would be depressed from the pain not in pain because of depression when it is kidney stones. I know I couldn't function at all when I had an attack and did need the IV pain meds and it wasn't because I was depressed. It had nothing to do with that. I even had unmedicated births and found those MUCH less painful then kidney stone attacks. Anti depressants have risks too and they don't help the pain of kidney stones.
I totally agree and would certainly not wish them on anyone, I am a former ER nurse and have witnessed how severe the pain is for anyone. I was basing my opinion more on the combo of history, er visits for heartburn, er visit pain for passed kidney stones that caused no blood in urine, etc. In my experience the pain seems to be caused from a stone when it is moving, when it has been passed the pain should be gone as well. Except in the case of injury caused to the ureter (no blood so no evidence of that) or spasms but there are non narcotic medications that are prescribed for that. I think medication is best avoided when possible, particularly during pregnancy, but the op is obviously suffering and current treatment options are not proving successful. Just another theory.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #57
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

My urologist told me that one of my options for my kidney stones while I was pregnant was to place a stent. He did tell me that it would be very uncomfortable and have to be placed multiple times as all my issues started at 22 weeks with my 4th pregnancy. If the attacks are bad enough to send you to the ER I would ask about having a stent placed now. I'm sorry that you are going through this. Kidney stones while pregnant suck.
thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:27 PM   #58
almostcrunchy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly6737 View Post
What is their reasoning for not doing the stents in pregnancy? I have seen it done before. I know it is possible.
This. Exactly.

OP, I know that you told me that you heard stents can make the pain worse, but honestly if you are in the amount of pain you state then I would think it is worth a shot since it has worked for many pregnant patients suffering from stones (this is info I got from my mother's kidney surgeon (she's a 2 time transplant recipient)).