Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #21
leyash
Registered Users
seller

Re: The reason behind no sandwich meat.

I just ate a deli sandwich. I didn't warm my meat.

It was amazing. I'll have another tomorrow.

I feel like a rebel.

Advertisement

leyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:15 PM   #22
eco-mum
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Haha, I've eaten many cold cut sandwiches this and last pregnancy and nothing bad has come of it. Enjoy what you want to eat, just in moderation kwim?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
Christylkeller
Registered Users

My Mood:

Good for you for eating your deli sandwich! I eat at subway at least once a week, sometimes more. For some reason this baby LOVES a COLD turkey sub and it can NOT be heated up... ick!

Homeschooling mom to A- '01, M- '05, E- '08 and G born 3/5/13 VBA3C

Always missing my 17 weeker E 7/25/11
Christylkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.HeathenFaerie View Post
I ate meat and pretty much anything else I wanted during both my pregnancies and this one. I'm careful about the handling of my food but I personally feel like we (as a society) go a bit over board sometimes on this kind of thing. Like a PP said your chances of actually getting sick are not any higher than anyone else, you just have a weaker immune system and it could be worse for you. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, then I wouldn't but if you feel ok about it and the meat is not old or otherwise compromised I would go ahead and eat it.
I eat anything I want when pregnant. But I don't eat or like lunchmeat. I do eat raw fish and raw milk, and rare steak.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:06 PM   #25
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesej View Post
Am I the only one who has no problem eating lunch meat? Really, how often have any of us gotten food poisoning from fresh, refrigerated lunch meat before. No doubt there is some risk, but probably far less than riding in the car...anyone else feel like a horse and buggy for the pregnancy?!? I don't eat it too often because of high sodium and nitrates, but I wouldn't feel guilty for a moment!
Nope. Me too. As long as it's a freshly opened package I'll eat it. If it's been hanging out in the fridge for 3-5 days I'll leave it be.

Funny story but DH bought some dry aged raw beef called bistirma and kept trying to get me to eat it. Finally I had to spell it out, "Honey it's a bad idea for me to eat RAW meat right now, considering that I am pregnant." I've been pretty lax with all of the food rules but I am not going to mess around with raw meat or raw fish no matter how much my hubby encourages it.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #26
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyH
Only 12 pregnant women per 100,000 will contract it (as opposed to 0.7 per 100,000 in the general population). Out of those twelve women, the fetal fatality rate is 20-30%.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I regularly eat lunch meat that I don't preheat.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2621056/
According to this article most maternal listeria cases are asymptomatic and it is very hard to diagnose. Up to 30% of babies die from it and 12% that dont die have significant long term effects. Not to mention even if the neonate doesn't die or have life long complications it could be very ill and hospitalized for weeks or months which is a hellish experience I never want to repeat. Also listeria is the most common cause of second trimester loss. For a sandwich? Not worth the risk for me.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #27
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by leyash View Post
I just ate a deli sandwich. I didn't warm my meat.

It was amazing. I'll have another tomorrow.

I feel like a rebel.
lol. If it makes you feel any better, I think MOST pregnant women don't strictly abide by every "rule" in pregnancy.

I know personally, I'll have one drink every once in a while, I clean the cat litter box daily, I take hot baths, and I lick the brownie batter off the spoon... there's probably a lot more "no-no's" that I don't listen to...
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:46 AM   #28
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

Oh my goodness. This thread has made me HUNGRY!!!! My doctor said it wasn't a big deal. He said in the 30 yrs he's been an OB he has HEARD of one patient at another practice getting listeria. None of his patients. Those odds are pretty good.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #29
Lisathena
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

5th pregnancy here and I eat whatever I want...and I eat a sub from subway or jimmy johns 1x a week. I love subs mmmmm!
Lisathena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #30
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
According to this article most maternal listeria cases are asymptomatic and it is very hard to diagnose. Up to 30% of babies die from it and 12% that dont die have significant long term effects. Not to mention even if the neonate doesn't die or have life long complications it could be very ill and hospitalized for weeks or months which is a hellish experience I never want to repeat. Also listeria is the most common cause of second trimester loss. For a sandwich? Not worth the risk for me.
:this:

It isn't to keep you from getting sick, it's to keep your baby from dying. It isn't worth the risk for me, either.

Just like caffeine, alcohol, and numerous other "pregnancy no-nos", everybody has to decide each issue for themselves. But that doesn't mean it isn't a big deal. I'd never berate a mom for eating un-warmed lunch meat, but I'd never encourage it either.

I think sometimes pregnant women don't follow the "rules" because of whatever reason, and then somehow that becomes the "cool" thing to do.
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote