Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11
mhschool6
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Tiny 6 month old- should I start her?

I have learned after nursing 7 babies that I have a ton of foremilk. It looks like skim milk. And my babies have mostly been very lean, and have nursed frequently. But after the 5th, I read an article saying that some mamas should not switch sides during feedings so that the baby eventually gets the good hindmilk. And funny enough, babies 6 & 7 have been more chunky, and seem satisfied a little longer. You may already do that though!!

Hannah, mama of 7!

Advertisement

mhschool6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #12
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhschool6
I have learned after nursing 7 babies that I have a ton of foremilk. It looks like skim milk. And my babies have mostly been very lean, and have nursed frequently. But after the 5th, I read an article saying that some mamas should not switch sides during feedings so that the baby eventually gets the good hindmilk. And funny enough, babies 6 & 7 have been more chunky, and seem satisfied a little longer. You may already do that though!!

Hannah, mama of 7!
This is true. My dd started gain weight and is now a little chubby 2.5 month old from block nursing. Also waiting 2.5 to 3ish hours before nursing again makes her eat for a longer period of time therefore she gets more of the hind milk
Hugs mama I think you are doing the right thing!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:09 AM   #13
Sarah-B
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn.mcc
But when I asked my pediatrician, this is what she said:

"What is better for your baby, formula or breastmilk? Breastmilk, right? So why would you want to give him something LESS nutritious if you're worried about his nutrition?"
This is awesome!! Love that your pediatrician said this!
Sarah-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #14
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I had a skinny itty bitty girl that I EBF (including pumping for a year). She didn't double her birth weight until 9 months and even now at almost 3 years old, she is only 26lbs.

I started adding rice cereal at 5 months to her last bottle of EBF milk before I got home from work. We started solids at 7 months. Mostly avocados, rice cereal, and potatoes mashed. No matter what I tried, she didn't gain much weight. I too feel that I don't make a lot of hind milk and the pumping didn't help. My Pedi had a baby months before me and her son was off the charts low, considered failure to thrive. So she was a good source of support for me M daughter is really smart, starting walking at 10 months, and is thriving. I never felt overly concerned.

I'm 31 weeks pregnant with the next one, and he's already measuring huge in the womb. I have a feeling though that as an EBF baby he also will be skinny by 6 months and falling off the charts.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #15
mommytoreanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think they are worried more is because she dropped on the weight charts. At 6 months most babies start solids. I use to give my little ones forumla like twice a day just to help put on a little weight.
mommytoreanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:19 PM   #16
snugglesnsunshine
Registered Users
Formerly: lovinmomma24
seller

My Mood:
Breastmilk typically containsmore calories than both formula and solids so just my opinion, but it sounds like your dr.maynot be very pro-breastfeeding. My ped is not very supportive either but my babies are never sick so I havent bothered finding a new one.
On my Stupidphone.pardon the errors.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:24 PM   #17
mommaagain
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go with your instincts. It doesn't sound like she's ready for solids to me either. Dropping percentiles can be a little concerning. My best advice is find an IBCLC who has a lot of experience with food intolerances. She can also help you determine if you trend towards oversupply. In that case, block feeding (1 breast only for several hours, then the other) would help her get more of the fatty hind milk. A good nutritionist can help you with the elimination diet to be sure you are getting all the good things you need to substitute for what you are cutting out. I don't understand why anyone suggests formula (a lesser quality food) or solids (aka fillers she can't digest well) would help her gain? I wouldn't get crazy over pre/post nursing weights. Each feed will be different. If you want to do them, be sure to do MANY to get a good idea of how much she is taking over the course of the day. HTH!
mommaagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 AM   #18
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you, thank you, thank you mamas! That insight about the foremilk is really good. I do switch breasts because she wants to, and then she switches back usually- I've never heard of block nursing but it makes sense! Will have to try that. Does the other breast get uncomfortably full? I think I would.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #19
KelseyH
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by viettasgirl
Thank you, thank you, thank you mamas! That insight about the foremilk is really good. I do switch breasts because she wants to, and then she switches back usually- I've never heard of block nursing but it makes sense! Will have to try that. Does the other breast get uncomfortably full? I think I would.
I did that with DS, and just fed on one side until the other side needed it. I didn't do it for a set amount of time or # of feedings - just based it on my comfort level.
KelseyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #20
stephy2241
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

following your heart is best!: )
stephy2241 is offline   Reply With Quote