Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2012, 05:32 PM   #81
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
Well, he turns 3 this month and is doing awesome with pee, but the poop is getting worse and worse. He only goes once every second or third day, and has no signs that it's coming, and my "catch rate" has been steadily decreasing. I can't even remember now the last time he had a poop in the potty. He will be 3 next week. I feel like time is running out and/or this will be a years-long struggle.
Has he gone through any phases of holding it and then having painful bm's? We struggled with my son for almost a full year with the poop issue bc he got into a bad cycle with holding onto poops for too long, then having painful constipated poops, then withholding again, etc. My son had Encopresis, which is basically where they hold it in for so long that it compacts in their colon and gets too large to comfortably pass, then new poop comes along and can escape "around" the compacted stuff and look like accidents. If that IS it, there would be a different game plan than if he's just doing the normal "being stubborn" thing.

The good news is, my son is 4 now and he's fine. :-). The trick for us was taking the pressure off of him while his body re-regulated and then offering several (long) times a day of sitting on his ikea potty. He has to have a nice long relaxation time or privacy before he can poop. Otherwise he just holds it in.

Advertisement

BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:45 PM   #82
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Just annoyed and frustrated re: potty training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon View Post
Has he gone through any phases of holding it and then having painful bm's?
No. He's not constipated or anything. He's always been irregular like this, and when the poop happens, it's a normal-sized amount and a good "texture."
I'm also a Younique presenter. Click here for naturally-based beauty care!
Harmony96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #83
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Crazy kid. Okay, so I just took him potty, where he peed. But it was right after dinner, and he had been "chipmunking" his last bite of food, so after he peed, I told him he could get up after he swallowed his bite. I went and checked on him every few minutes, and he would still be on the potty, still with the bite in his mouth. I kept telling him to call for me when his mouth was empty.

Well, he finally called for me, but not b/c of an empty mouth. He called me to say, "I pooped!" In the potty. So I told him that as soon as his mouth was empty, he could have a candy (a chocolate chip) for pooping in the potty.

Now here we are 10 minutes later and he still has the bite in his mouth, lol. I've chewed a bite of beef jerky in less time than it's taking him for a baked potato and steamed broccoli, lol.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #84
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony96
Crazy kid. Okay, so I just took him potty, where he peed. But it was right after dinner, and he had been "chipmunking" his last bite of food, so after he peed, I told him he could get up after he swallowed his bite. I went and checked on him every few minutes, and he would still be on the potty, still with the bite in his mouth. I kept telling him to call for me when his mouth was empty.

Well, he finally called for me, but not b/c of an empty mouth. He called me to say, "I pooped!" In the potty. So I told him that as soon as his mouth was empty, he could have a candy (a chocolate chip) for pooping in the potty.

Now here we are 10 minutes later and he still has the bite in his mouth, lol. I've chewed a bite of beef jerky in less time than it's taking him for a baked potato and steamed broccoli, lol.
Lol!

Sounds like you've got quite the stubborn little guy. :-) or as I like to say, persistent. Committed. Lol.

That's so hilarious!
Old 10-01-2012, 11:06 PM   #85
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Lol. And I used a small play silk for my"demonstration".

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #86
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ugh, so many pee accidents this past week. I don't know what's going on or what to do. I've been taking him regularly but sometimes he's already wet. He still doesn't tell me when he needs to go (except for that one random time nearly a month ago), so since he didn't start telling me regularly in the three weeks that the Oh Crap Potty Training author said it was likely to happen, then I have no hope of that happening this year.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #87
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

What is your interaction with him like after the accidents? Is it possible that he's either avoiding or seeking out your reaction by not communicating about accidents?
Old 10-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #88
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I tell him "No pee floor" (or undies or diaper or whatever) in a stern voice. Today I made him clean it up, too, but he seemed to enjoy that.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM   #89
hpfgirl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Still putting diapers on?

3T/4T Trainers, and Toddler AIOs for sale.
hpfgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:43 PM   #90
Harmony96
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpfgirl View Post
Still putting diapers on?
Well, I am NOW. Five accidents this morning have pushed me over the limit, and I put him back in a diaper for his nap and don't plan on doing underwear or even mentioning potty training again until next summer.