Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Neck gunk! Help!

So dd is 7 weeks. She is slender, but has some seriously deep neck wrinkles. I clean her neck wrinkles all. the. time. And no matter how throughly I clean it, I can always find more. I cleaned it for 10 minutes one time... was letting it air dry, and then when I checked it 2 minutes later, I found more gunk! I don't even understand why since I assume it's just breastmilk, but there is so much all the time. It's gotten so bad that she smells like rotten milk even right after a bath.

Now an added issue is that when I stretch her wrinkles open, it's shiny around the creases. I think because it's raw? It's not bleeding or anything, but it's irritated for sure. Should I put anything on it or leave it alone? I clean out her neck at least every hour... should I do it less even though it stinks?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #2
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:
Re: Neck gunk! Help!

I would put sween on. Keep clean. Could b soap if u do soap & water. Make sure pat dry to help. Could be dead skin cells.
abunchoflemons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Yarnjess
Registered Users
seller

It could be yeasty. You could try coconut oil for a natural antifungal. Or get some OTC antifungal cream. That's what our ped told me when i asked about the gunky neck folds at our 2 month well check. Personally, I'd try the coconut oil over the OTC cream because I like more natural remedies when possible.
Yarnjess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #4
kannondicarpo
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest coconut oil.

Charlene Keala || 9.27.10, Zakary Michael || 10.25.12 & Baby "Momomi" || October 2014 ~

Loving life on the Big Island!
kannondicarpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:59 PM   #5
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

In addition to breast milk, it's also skin cells and debris that accumulate and then causes a gritty irritatation causing the redness (maceration) when baby moves. It usually doesn't get so bad as to be "yeasty beasties," but can bleed if the skin rubs enough. The stink is the worst, isn't it! It's so hard to keep dry in the folds. My little guy used to get it at the neck line and at the back of his knees. Keeping it clean and dry is the absolute best. You just want to eliminate the gunk and grittiness and the redness will resolve by itself. Just putting a burp cloth in between the neck fold for a few seconds after a bath will help absorb extra moisture. You can try fanning it dry while holding under the jaw to hold the head up. If it doesn't resolve with this, you can try OTC remedies: gentian violet (for yeast and antiseptic) or a bit of bacitracin (especially if it bleeds). Gentian violet is purple and does stain. A little goes a long way, but it also helps keep the area dry and yeasty-free. You can find it in the pharmacy area with first aid supplies. You may need to ask a pharmacist to order it if it's something they don't keep on hand. Best of luck!
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #6
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use cornstarch. It helps immensely. Clean, pay dry and apply generously to the folds. Usually if I do this at bedtime it's way improved by morning.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
A21Lee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just re-read what you posted. If you're still smelling the stink after cleaning her neck, check the other folds-behind the knees, in her diaper area, and especially under the arm pits (that's a hard area to clean). The smell could be coming from one of those other areas. That's how I discovered that my little guy had it behind the knees.
A21Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
sisu
Registered Users
seller
seller

Coconut oil, or CJs, helps a lot. It acts as a moisture barrier to protect the skin, and also makes it easier to wipe the gunk off. I had chubby babies with lots of neck folds, I made sure to tip their heads back ans really wash well in the creases at bath time, too.
sisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Heather8183
Registered Users
seller
seller

Sounds like yeast to me. If coconut oil doesn't clear it up, head to the dr for nystatin
ES list IDDDSO Gira Diamonds & Stripes ringsling
Heather8183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Yuck! DD1 did that, I used to say she was 'making cheese' in her neck from the milk. DD2 did it behind her ears. I found using a bib during feedings help, especially one like the Tommee Tippee bib with that big absorbant neck area, or shoving a burp cloth under their chin. I would also wipe it out after every feeding and put vasoline on when it was dry to act as a barrier.
mibarra is offline   Reply With Quote