Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-06-2012, 09:35 AM   #11
LionMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Our DS birthparents left it up to us. We did have our son circ but waited until his 1st appt. out of the hospital. I think it depends on the comfort level of the birthfamily. Ive heard, at least here in CA, there are a lot of hospitals that won't circ anymore and recommend that you go to your primary. My primary was very adamant that it was a unnessary elective procedure but it's what my DH wanted (he's a pediatric resident and has seen several "worse case scenarios" of older kids who had to later be circ- very rare)

Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #12
LionMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll

Again, that's just the local hospitals here in central California. I can't speak for any other area.
Lol- we're from
Fresno- so yep central Cali!

Last edited by LionMama; 10-06-2012 at 09:39 AM.
LionMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #13
CaliRoll
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMama

Lol- we're from
I'm about an hour north of you! DS2 was a 36 weeker and we wanted to wait until he was bigger and more healthy. We had no idea none of the local docs would do it after 2 weeks. Everyone we called had a 6-12mo requirement. We finally found a urologist in Fresno who will do it up until 12 weeks.
CaliRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LionMama

Lol- we're from
So funny! I am south in B-town!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRoll
De-lurking to say our local hospitals don't circ anymore. If you want it done, the pediatrician does it at the first well check but not after two weeks old. After that age, you have to find a urologist to do it, and some make you wait until baby is 6mo or even 12mo before they'll do it. One urologist said even then, only if medically necessary.

All that to say, if the adoptive parents want the circ, they need to find out ahead of time if the hospital will do it and if not, what the protocol is for getting it done.

Again, that's just the local hospitals here in central California. I can't speak for any other area.
This is so interesting! It blows me away how different areas can be like another country! I wonder how this reflects on the number of foster kids who are circed? I assume state insurance doesn't cover it? That must be a tremendous savings to the government. Seems like a no brainer to me! Not the case here so I'm sure most FK are circed.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #16
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Adoption and circumcision question...

When we lived in Utah, Medicaid did not cover it. We had an unplanned pregnancy while dh was in school and his new job didn't have family insurance coverage and he was making very little. I didn't want ds done but since the other boys were (we had private coverage then and it was covered plus my oldest had it done for a medical reason - yes they exist) my dh really wanted it done. It was around $150, maybe $200? But that was 6 1/2 years ago. Done by the pediatrician at his office and ds was close to a month old.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
This is so interesting! It blows me away how different areas can be like another country! I wonder how this reflects on the number of foster kids who are circed? I assume state insurance doesn't cover it? That must be a tremendous savings to the government. Seems like a no brainer to me! Not the case here so I'm sure most FK are circed.

Medi-cal doesn't cover it. I guess that's why most foster babes here aren't circ'd
Old 10-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #18
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No experience with adoption, but huge kudos to you OP for sending her info on keeping him intact

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #19
FindingMercy
Registered Users
Formerly: Evie'sMama
seller

My Mood:
We were in the room when our sons birthmom filled out all her paperwork. She asked us if we wanted it done and we said no, so she marked no. It is up to the birthmom legally until she signs over her rights. It's best to chat about it wore the hospital IMO. The hospital is an emotionally charged time and it's good to have details ironed out beforehand.

I blog about our family, trans-racial adoption, gluten-free cooking, and crafting

FindingMercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
Kimmyann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son's birthmom was supposed to have it done and it was all set up but then she left the hospital before it was done and the hospital couldn't do it without a signature. At the point she left the hospital I hadn't seen him yet. I ended up having to wait until he was 10 months and he had it done at the urologist under general anesthesia however he was there for another surgical issue as well and it was done then. His peditrician does do them but did not want to without the agency signing off. The agency would have signed off on it but by that time he was already seeing a urologist for his other issue.