Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #11
BunnysMama
Registered Users

Re: HELP! Rash, Repelling, Hard Water, Oh My!

So I found an old thread that sounds like exactly what we're experiencing! I think I am going to add a blue dawn scrub before I stip with RLR and switch to Contry Save.

This site is great, years of experience documented!

Advertisement

BunnysMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #12
BunnysMama
Registered Users

Here's the link in case anyone is interested.

http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/.../t-146143.html
Old 09-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
BunnysMama
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss squish View Post
I had almost 3 wonderful months of cd'ing with RNG, and then DOOM. Rashy buns and stinky dipes. I tried a bunch of things similar to your list, but then I would wash them in RNG again and gross.

I had to address the wash routine as a whole instead of trying to get back to a baseline, if that makes sense. Stripping bleaching rinsing all made the dipes clean for one wear and then id wash but they just weren't getting clean so I'd have the same problems.

I have moderately hard water (nothing like your dealing with) but I changed to country save and added washing soda. Sometimes I'll do some bleach in the pre rinse if there's lots of poopy dipes in there.

This thread gave me some good ideas. Looooong but most of the good info is on the first post.
You know, you are like the third person that said RnG was fine to start and then became problematic. So weird. I'm definitely kicking it to the curb. I have some washing soda; I'll try that with the Country Save.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 PM   #14
BunnysMama
Registered Users

I thought I would come back and update with what finally worked! We have been rash free for a week and my diapers are no longer repelling!

(1) Blue Dawn scub followed by an overnight soak and finally washing in RLR with about 5 or 6 rinses. This finally completely restored absorbancy.

(2) Changed detergent from Rocking Green to Country Save

(3) Baby Powder at every single change. Yeah i know some people say not to use it, but most moderately intelligent people can manage to get powder on their baby's bum without creating a big puff for them to breath in. And honestly it is the first CD safe thing that consistantly and completely works!

So what was the problem? I am guessing it started with a yeast infection. Which promted me to use cream. Which caused build up and repelling. Coupled with our hard water and a bad case of mineral and detergent build up (from the hard water not completely rinsing them well). Once they were repelling it was a bad cycle where her bum was just never getting dry enough to heal. All the pee was sitting on her skin instead of being absorbed into the diaper. Plus it was activating the nasties that were built up. So got rid of the build up and using powder to keep her dry and prevent that moist overheating and it looks like we fixed it!!! WOOHOO!
Old 10-09-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
RootedRedwood
Registered Users
seller

Awesome! Glad for you! Thanks for updating us!
RootedRedwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:38 PM   #16
abunchoflemons
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Try sween cream on bright red bottom. Helps my sore red nose to baby butts. Even light. Burns & soreness/ irrritated skin. U try dreft? I use that in my front load & no issues other than if I do one wash not. I used wet pail but hard to empty with one wash rinse & was ok. I put detergent in my prewash now & rubn reg load & no issues. Hot cold. I have softener but not sure if it really does much cuz blocked & system bypassed to pick stuff out.....
abunchoflemons is offline   Reply With Quote