Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #11
thoennes6
Registered Users
seller

Re: Neck gunk! Help!

My dd had that and we used Monkey Butt Powder on it. It cleared it up fast.

Advertisement

thoennes6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #12
milosmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My DD has the same situation, very deep neck folds. I have used cornstartch and have been told that baby powder or Monkey Butt powder works well also. The Ped says it is best to try and keep it as clean as possible and make sure it is dry as often as possible. It is the moisture that accumulates with sweat, spit-up, breast milk, and dead skin cells/debris that make the gunk. We clean it all.the.time also and just try to wipe it out wheneer we diap change (sometimes with just a dry cloth and sometimes with a wet cloth and adding cornstartch/powder). Just be careful that it doesn't go unattended (although it seems like you are checking it regularly), and gets any sort of bacterial infection because then adding cornstartch is like adding food for the bacteria. I hear it clears up pretty quick (let's hope!) as they grow in length and stop being such chunky little monkeys.
milosmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #13
DalesWidda
Registered Users
Formerly: savmaralamommy
seller

My Mood:

actually cornstarch feeds yeast, so if it's yeast I wouldn't use baby powder
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #14
sandhillcranes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I use cjs butter on my DD's neck. I just rub some in. Seems to help. When i bathe her i tilt her head back so i can wipe her neck good with a baby washcloth.

Sent from my iPad using DS Forum
Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
Buffy1023
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am dealing with that too on my 11 weeks old. I wash her neck daily and either put Cjs on aquaphor on it. She is also a EBF baby, but does spit up which causes it.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/MamaLiz8056 join now and see what you can earn!
Buffy1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cleaning it every hour very well could be making it more irritated, I know it's kind of a double edged sword but I think maybe you need to not do it so often. Try a little coconut oil, and then make sure you have a burp cloth wrapped around her neck when she nurses to make sure nothing dribbles down (if she spits up a lot this obviously won't help this.) I would only clean a couple times/day at most (unless you specifically see milk drip down) and then as pp said make sure completely dry.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #17
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Cleaning it every hour very well could be making it more irritated, I know it's kind of a double edged sword but I think maybe you need to not do it so often. Try a little coconut oil, and then make sure you have a burp cloth wrapped around her neck when she nurses to make sure nothing dribbles down (if she spits up a lot this obviously won't help this.) I would only clean a couple times/day at most (unless you specifically see milk drip down) and then as pp said make sure completely dry.

ETA: my first dd suffered terribly from this but it goes away as quickly as it showed up once they get a little length on them

Last edited by nursenmom; 10-09-2012 at 07:19 AM.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #18
Bentley'sMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Update: Dd's neck is looking (and smelling) SO much better. I've been putting coconut oil on it which seems to soothe it and it makes it easier to wipe her neck. She seriously had 90% less gunk today and the coconut oil was all I did differently! Thanks mamas!
Bentley'sMomma is offline   Reply With Quote