View Poll Results: do you have anxiety over your childs health?
yes 22 33.33%
no 38 57.58%
other 6 9.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #31
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My dd spent 5 weeks in the nicu and has cp so a certain degree of concern is healthy in this case I think but when she was little I was a wreck. I couldn't bring myself to buy clothes the next size up because I was afraid she was going to die and not be able to wear them anyway. Looking back I realize that was months after there was any real danger, she was a happy healthy baby by then and it was all in my head.

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #32
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmccall08
now that im sitting here typing it all out and really thinking about it i think he would have alot worse symptoms if something were really wrong but i get my self very worked up thats why i say i have a very hard time knowing when its anxiety and gut instinct
sometimes seeing it in black and white like that can be a wake up call. That one tiny seed was planted and your mind took it and went into over drive.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #33
BunnyMcFluff
Registered Users
seller

Re: anxiety over your childs health

I voted yes, but I don't, really. I have an asthmatic kiddo, and I'm observant because of his history. It isn't unhealthy or irrational in his case.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #34
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
sometimes seeing it in black and white like that can be a wake up call. That one tiny seed was planted and your mind took it and went into over drive.
thanks mama yes that doctor def put me in over drive but we are back in VA and we will be going back to ds pediatrician on friday for his 18 month well visit and i def plan on discussing my fears and concerns with her. I called her crying after all that happened and she tried to talk me down she was very mad and said she couldnt believe that doctor told me that and she said my ds was way to healthy and he would be VERY SICK if he had that. anyway im really looking forward to seeing her again and i really hope she can put these feelings to rest
Old 10-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #35
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I know the stress you are going through, OP. I never once worried about my DD, still don't....but from day one, I had an unshakable fear with DS. I was told by a ped when he was teeny he was congested, and even though I felt it was something bigger, I listened to them and just ran humidifiers. Turned out he had a heart defect that required immediate surgery. Ever since then, I have been much more vocal and demanding with regards to his health, and he has had at least five more diagnoses added on because of my persistance, but I still feel like I look at him too hard...watch him too carefully...scare over little things with him too easily. I can't help it. (I'm not saying your child has something going on...just sharin my experience).

I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between paranoia and instinct. Being a mom is hard and there is no manual that says, "when your kid does/has XYZ, it always means this." If you truly feel like something is going on, speak up...find someone who will listen. I hope its nothing, though.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:07 PM   #36
Kmccall08
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeinstarrz View Post
I know the stress you are going through, OP. I never once worried about my DD, still don't....but from day one, I had an unshakable fear with DS. I was told by a ped when he was teeny he was congested, and even though I felt it was something bigger, I listened to them and just ran humidifiers. Turned out he had a heart defect that required immediate surgery. Ever since then, I have been much more vocal and demanding with regards to his health, and he has had at least five more diagnoses added on because of my persistance, but I still feel like I look at him too hard...watch him too carefully...scare over little things with him too easily. I can't help it. (I'm not saying your child has something going on...just sharin my experience).

I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between paranoia and instinct. Being a mom is hard and there is no manual that says, "when your kid does/has XYZ, it always means this." If you truly feel like something is going on, speak up...find someone who will listen. I hope its nothing, though.
see thats the thing though i didnt have this unshakable fear until that doctor it wasntfrom day one. but now i do still feel like something is wrong but i dont know if its just because i cant shake what that one doctor said *sigh* i just cant live stressed like this
Old 10-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #37
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

see thats the thing though i didnt have this unshakable fear until that doctor it wasntfrom day one. but now i do still feel like something is wrong but i dont know if its just because i cant shake what that one doctor said *sigh* i just cant live stressed like this
Do you still see that doctor? Them even giving you the idea of leukemia was wrong unless they had actual medical evidence to back it up. If it were me, I would contact the doctor who originated your fear and explain to them how it is made you feel and insist on their reassurance...it might be the only way to get past it is to have that doctor apologize and admit their mistake in terrifying you unnecessarily. Even when my sons's docs were very clearly looking for leukemia, they still never used the word out loud to me (because they knew me and Google are pretty close friends...). I'm sorry you are so stressed!
Old 10-08-2012, 10:58 PM   #38
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajane

So, she had it at birth but wasn't diagnosed until she was almost 5?
No, she had many other health issues (bleeding GI, vascular issues, dietary issues, birthmarks, kidney reflux, GI reflux, possible NF) that we have been dealing with with NO diagnosis since birth, well 6 months of age really.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #39
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:

Well I think that if your instincts where not trowing up red flags before this crazy Dr put it in your subconscious then thats where I would draw the line between instinct and anxiety/fear. BUT at the same time, I would be sure to go to a Pedi that you trust and explain your fears and have them rerun the blood work and check for everything, specifically leukemia.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #40
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I voted other. It isn't really their health I worry about so much as their future. Both of my kids have special needs and "physically" they are healthy but they both have so much else going on that I am often a wreck thinking about what might happen to them or what I should do next. Neither of my boys is sick often, my oldest did have GERD, borderline failure to thrive which has now turned into a diagnosis of growth hormone deficiency (pituitary dwarfism) but no matter how you look at it he is never sick. My youngest is really never sick. He has some food sensitivities but nothing that is anxiety provoking (it isn't fun to deal with a child with stomach upset but it is doable). But I worry almost every day about whether I am making the right decisions about their education and future. Will Kearnan be able to take care of himself when he is grown, is he getting enough therapy, are they the right therapies, is he too far behind in school work? It is stressful. Then with Tharen I feel this incredible guilt around his bipolar diagnosis (I'm bipolar it is genetic and it is my fault he has it) so I struggle with his treatment and knowing he will struggle with this for the rest of his life. I struggle with living with him. Bipolar children are not easy to raise and I am torn between pushing him because I know he needs pushed and letting him the time he needs to get through this thing. So while I'm not anxious about my kids' health exactly I am anxious all of the time about their special needs and meeting them.
iris0110 is online now   Reply With Quote