Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-08-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
avismomma816
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Does anyone make their own laundry detergent? And is it good for cd?

I really want to make my own detergent bc: A) it's more economical B) it's better for the wear on the clothing... I have read many recipes to use borax soap and so on. Do any of you have a recipe that really works, fighting stains without leaving a residue And maybe smells good? I really would like some help

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
evasimone
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Does anyone make their own laundry detergent? And is it good for cd?

I've never used my homemade detergent on diapers so I am curious too. By itself my detergent just smells like soap and leaves no residue. I like to add down unstoppables to my wash loads. The smell is great and 1 $6 container lasts almost two months.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Marianna1988
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use my homemade detergent on most of our laundry. The only thing I don't use it on is diapers and my husband's ACUs and PTs. for those I use Rockin green. Most of the ingredients in homemade detergent are harsh for diapers and can void warranties (I would not worry about flats and prefolds, but any items with PUL, elastic, or synthetic materials may pose a problem). My husband just prefers Rockin green for his ACUs :giggle

I grate 1 bar fels naptha and mix with 2 cups washing soda and 2 cups borax. Might mix it up and add 1 cup powdered oxygen bleach next time. I keep it powdered and add 2tbsp per load.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
~$25 off your first order of $50 at gilt.com!
Marianna1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

http://www.budget101.com/myo-househo...soap-3993.html

I plan on trying this stuff out with my cloth. We use AIOs, Prefolds and pocket trainers for our oldest. I would just assume that it wouldn't tear things up since the powders are melted down. As far as the Fels naptha leaving residue, she addresses that in the post and says that this particular method doesn't leave residue since the soap is melted beforehand
Hum Bums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Double post! Sorry

Last edited by Hum Bums; 04-23-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
madebymommy
Banned - User Requested
seller

My Mood:

I use the powdered laundry recipe - fels naptha, baking soda, washing soda, borax and purex crystals. The key to no residue with the fels naptha is to shred it, and then put it in a food processor with a few scoops of baking soda, and then run it until it is a fine powder. Once I did that, I never had residue.

I use this laundry detergent on everything, and I've not had a problem with my diapers!
madebymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
Hum Bums
Senior Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebymommy View Post
I use the powdered laundry recipe - fels naptha, baking soda, washing soda, borax and purex crystals. The key to no residue with the fels naptha is to shred it, and then put it in a food processor with a few scoops of baking soda, and then run it until it is a fine powder. Once I did that, I never had residue.

I use this laundry detergent on everything, and I've not had a problem with my diapers!

I am doing the liquid because we don't have any fancy kitchen appliance (food processor, blender, mixer, etc)

Last edited by Hum Bums; 04-24-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
jen1608
Registered Users

Does anyone add essential oil to their homemade mix? If so, which ones would you recommend?
jen1608 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #9
Katiesuds
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Do any of you who already use hm detergent have hard water? I have extremely hard water, but want to give it a try.
Katiesuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #10
igotmywings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madebymommy View Post

I do this recipe but no purex crystals and I add the pink soap..cant remember the name..I think it starts with a z? Anyways I don't like using Fels naptha by itself. I find the perfect mixutre for my hard water is both soaps. I first shred the soaps in my food processor. And then I add my borax and everything else and with the blade bix them all up really really really well. best thing ever. my whites are staying white and my washing machine is staing cleaner and no build up on my clothes either.

I live in Arizona. SOUTHERN arizona and our water here is horrible and hard. Like I get calcium deposits on my fridge its so hard. I have never had any issues with this soap.
Follow me at The Whole Adventure I AM DESTASHING EVERYTHING. FROM BGE ORIGINALS, ALVA BABY POCKETS, PREFOLDS, THIRSTIE DUO SIZE 2'S POCKETS GOODMAMAS, AND MUCH MUCH MORE MESSAGE ME IF YOU ARE ISO ANYTHING
igotmywings is offline   Reply With Quote