Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #41
HeatherlovesCDs
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The reason behind no sandwich meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
The problem (for me) with this line of thinking is that it just starts to make me neurotic after awhile. Like the beef example, or e. coli in the spinach...anything could be contaminated, and so what do I eat without feeling guilty or scared? I've had a miscarriage too, and maybe this isn't typical, but it didn't matter what I ate, I still ran through every possible thing that could have been my fault. I'm not saying no rules our no changes in diet when I'm pregnant, but I can't go down the "what if" road, and I'm very comfortable that we all draw our lines in different places.
This is exactly true. I try not to go down the "what if's" road when it comes to food in pregnancy either, which is why I said I don't change a lot about my diet. But, unfortunately, on this particular issue, I read a story a while back about a pregnant woman who contracted listeria and her baby died. I usually stay away from those articles and threads online, but I read it in an office and it really stuck with me. So, on this one, I can't help but think "what if?" I can almost guarantee that if I hadn't read that I wouldn't worry at all about it. It's kind of annoying to me actually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-mum View Post
What is wrong with eating Caesar salad?
I'm not sure, but I'm thinking she is thinking about the anchovies in most Caesar dressing. I've never thought about that and eat Caesar without a second thought. I don't like Caesar that has a strong anchovy flavor though. Plus, I don't like any fish or seafood at all.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #42
joeslittlewoman
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco-mum

What is wrong with eating Caesar salad?
Caesar in restaurants often has raw eggs in it.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:17 AM   #43
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

I guess I'm a terrible Mom then. I eat a homemade Turkey wrap nearly every day. With the GD diet what I can eat is restricted enough.

My MW has seen ONE case of Listeria ever. In a woman whose DH owned a Subway.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #44
bcb1961
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
This is how I feel.

My midwife sorta made fun of me for following all the rules but I couldn't get past feeling like this.
That is really sad. No one should EVER be made fun of for trying to protect their children, and ESPECIALLY not by a healthcare provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle View Post
The problem (for me) with this line of thinking is that it just starts to make me neurotic after awhile. Like the beef example, or e. coli in the spinach...anything could be contaminated, and so what do I eat without feeling guilty or scared? I've had a miscarriage too, and maybe this isn't typical, but it didn't matter what I ate, I still ran through every possible thing that could have been my fault. I'm not saying no rules our no changes in diet when I'm pregnant, but I can't go down the "what if" road, and I'm very comfortable that we all draw our lines in different places.
YES to the bolded.
And as far as the other types of food poisoning, I don't think other types have been shown to be so harmful to an unborn baby like listeria. So that's why it is singled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherlovesCDs View Post
This is exactly true. I try not to go down the "what if's" road when it comes to food in pregnancy either, which is why I said I don't change a lot about my diet. But, unfortunately, on this particular issue, I read a story a while back about a pregnant woman who contracted listeria and her baby died. I usually stay away from those articles and threads online, but I read it in an office and it really stuck with me. So, on this one, I can't help but think "what if?" I can almost guarantee that if I hadn't read that I wouldn't worry at all about it. It's kind of annoying to me actually.
I guess I'm similar on this, when I was pregnant with DD, my OB office had a patient lose a 37 week pregnancy from listeria.

A roast beef sub was my first meal after I got home from delivering DD, and that was the best sandwitch I've ever eaten!
bcb1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 AM   #45
Brooke789
Registered Users
seller
seller

I ate nitrite free lunch meat every day during my pregnancy! I heated it when the sandwich was made (the night before) and then reheated it when I ate it for lunch!
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #46
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb1961 View Post
That is really sad. No one should EVER be made fun of for trying to protect their children, and ESPECIALLY not by a healthcare provider!
oh, it's alright. We became friends and it was after I had the baby and she was just commenting on how I was a just obsessed with following the rules.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:43 PM   #47
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

I asked my OB about it when I was preg with #1--he laughed at me. I've been eating lunch meat ever since.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #48
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just think
It's odd how deli
Meat is the evil one.. BUT you can get this from many other avenues. Including ur own leftovers. Produce!!! Do you wash everything incredibly well??!!

http://www.babycenter.com/0_listerio...9528.bc?page=2

It's not just deli meat. Yet, so many focus on that. I do my best to follow the guidelines but am not obsessive about anything.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #49
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Well that's true. The last lysteria outbreak I know of was on spinach.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #50
MamaLump
Registered Users
seller

The last one I heard about was on cantaloupe, I've actually never even heard of one from deli meat.
MamaLump is offline   Reply With Quote