Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Xanders
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie
oh well, I might just have to stick to disposables at night for her. I can't convince my husband to spend $60+ on training pants. I think maybe I was looking for something that doesn't exist
Maybe, but you will spend a ton on disposable pull-ups. It might be a few yrs before she stops bed wetting. My DS is 5 1/2& still does!

Advertisement

Xanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #12
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
Trainers for older kids can be very bulky. All the 7 yr olds in my family were wearing pullups or trainers last yr. (at night for 2 of them- 1 is not PTed yet due to disabilities) I made pocket trainers for all 3 of them. My mds was ok with them, my one niece complained they were uncomfy whole the other niece is autistic and didn't seem to care.

Have you tried wool over the diaper? It allows you to put less in The diaper without leaking.

My yds is getting to the point that he is uncomfortable in the overstuffed diapers (which I already use wool over) so I'm planning to make a fitted style trainer with PUL outer and bamboo and zorb inner (yeah- that makes it AIO or pocket but what I mean is no wicking inner and a pocket for adding a booster) then put the wool over it. Wool does an awesome job of keeping the bed dry and paired with a shirt means no need to add PJs over so no real added bulk. I use up cycled wool sweaters that I felt (or ones I've gotten from other mamas). There are some awesome patterns if you can sew.

Last edited by m0mof6; 10-09-2012 at 10:32 AM.
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
raisingthem4Him
Registered Users
seller

Re: Diaper for a 4 year old at night?

I have a couple snap-ez aio trainers that are not absorbent enough for nights, but they fit my 40 pound son well- so the pocket style snap-ez may fit her well and you could stuff it with what you needed. I also have some (older style) mommy's touch diapers that are the biggest pocket diapers I've ever tried and they fit my son really well still, and with one Flip organic insert they are great at night without being huge.
raisingthem4Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #14
olstep
Registered Users
Formerly: MyVeryBest
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingMercy View Post
I'm not sure a fabric exists that is trim enough to hold a heavy wetting 5-year-old overnight without being a bit bulky.
Unfortunatelly, it is true. If you want to use cloth for overnight for a 5yo, it is going to be bulky.
olstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #15
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have a 6yo still in night diapers. It is bulky, but I have had great success with a Motherease ToddleEase, stuffed with a tri-folded prefold (GMD red edge fit perfectly), with a Disana wool cover on top. This has worked better than even sposies, which he was peeing out of at least 3x per week.

We average about 1 accident per month with this combo, and from what I can tell, it is usually him peeing in the early morning straight up and out of the diaper, as it is never fully saturated when the leaks happen. I have a feeling he is getting an erection at some point, his penis ends up pointing up, and then when he pees, the pee just shoots straight up and out of the diaper.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:01 PM   #16
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanders View Post
Maybe, but you will spend a ton on disposable pull-ups. It might be a few yrs before she stops bed wetting. My DS is 5 1/2& still does!
I already know all of this. I know investing money up front will save money in the long run but my husband doesn't like cloth to begin with and I don't work so anything I buy has to be approved by him and he wont spend that money up front plus we live paycheck to paycheck and honestly don't have that much money sitting around so that's why disposables are easier for us to handle right now BUT hers are running low and I'd prefer to buy cloth but I can't invest alot of money up front. Maybe $30 but that would need to be for at least 2 diapers but thank you
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

ok you guys have great suggestions that I will research tonight
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
fish3737
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I say this all the time so ignore my broken record for others who have read this before.

We love the Tinkle Time Trainer = we get ours from Ladder Hill Design.

http://hyenacart.com/stores/ladderhi...index.php?c=19

You can also just buy the pattern and make your own (or if someone you know sews this could be an option).

http://hyenacart.com/ladderhilldesig...PatternLITTLE-

I don't sew so I've always just bought them from her. My 5 almost 6 year old just night trained - so we used these for the last couple years for him. My 4 1/2 year old DD still uses them and has since she day trained at about 2 1/2.

I highly recommend them - my kids do not consider them diapers - and we call them pull-ups. They have a stay dry on the inside so they aren't totally pee-soaked in the morning v. fitted diaper. I stuff them with Thirsties organic prefolds or Flip organic prefolds. I have both of these left over from diapers - you could also use prefolds. My DS was such a heavy wetter I used a wool cover as shorts over the top for a just in case so I didn't have to bulky/overstuff the pull-up. My DD is a moderate wetter and only needs the pull-up/prefold combination.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #19
meahr29
Registered Users
seller

Check out etsy.com. LOTS of WAHM options on there, and you can request they make the size you need!
meahr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #20
LaurelBelle
Curator of Newborn Diaper Forum Reference Sticky
seller

We use the Flip trainers with 2 inserts for my overnight super heavy wetting 4 yo. He's on the middle rise, so hopefully they will last as long as we need.