Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #361
clothdiapercrunchy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: KAL Oct 7-13 *Knit the funk away!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach View Post
If you have a single drive/scotch tension wheel, the spin of the flyer puts the twist in your yarn, the brake band slows the bobbin so it turns at a different speed than the flyer, which in turn winds the bobbin. (Direct drive is similar and usually has a scotch tension mechanism too). Double drive has the same band wrapped around the wheel twice, one strand goes around your flyer/whorl, the other goes around the bobbin, and the difference in size between whorl and bobbin determines the difference in speeds the 2 turn and how your bobbin winds.

So the brake band tension knob increases or decreases the tension on your scotch tension spring, which increases or decreases uptake. If your fiber is breaking because it's pulling on too much, you loosen the tension and decrease your uptake. If it's not winding, you tighten the band which increases uptake.

The screw that raises your mother of all is for the drive band, and really is only going to need adjustment when you change whorls, unless it's stretched out over time. For double drive wheels that mother of all screw is crucial, because it effects the tension on the bobbin AND the whorl, which affects your uptake. For single drive you won't need it much.
OMG MINDY! That green yarn on your etsy! Your killing me!

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #362
808mamaof3
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach View Post
Today is our 8th anniversary, trying to decide where to go for dinner. The kids were up early and being monsters so I'm hoping there's a nap in there soon. I have more fiber prepped to dye during nap, then there is just 8 oz. left of this order!
Happy Anniversary!! Oooh, PF Changs is super nummy. We haven't been there in a long time, but it was the restaurant DH and I ate at when we introduced our parents to each other.

Drunken noodles...mmmm. Are most of the noodles there rice and GF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
I may or may not have found som really pretty yarn while oogling the internet :O.. OOPS... LOL

http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/Preciosa__D5420227.html

its the ginger one. OMG DROOL
The ginger colorway is really pretty. The only thing I don't like and its totally a personal preference is that its single ply. I knit a cardi with that and it pills/fuzzes like crazy, esp. when I knit, then grogged, then reknit. I prefer tighter plied yarn, but that's just me.

AFM: I'm a quarter of the way done with my second linen stitch leg. My wrist/fingers don't seem funky today so I hope to get most if not the rest of the leg done tonight and start the embroidery tomorrow. Eek! I'm nervous, but excited.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #363
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ahhhh, thank you Mindy! I get it now and its winding on the bobbin now too! Yay! Thank you for that great explanation!
Dayzee1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:37 PM   #364
Scaethach
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy View Post
Eeeek don't look at my Etsy right now! I have nothing on there cause of the morning sickness nasties.
Like my Facebook! Etsy
Scaethach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 PM   #365
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clothdiapercrunchy

If you like greens, I have several (realizing now how much my love of green projects into my dyeing ) in stock on my etsy page

Eta - spam alert...haha, I promise I won't spam anymore
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 PM   #366
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaethach

Eeeek don't look at my Etsy right now! I have nothing on there cause of the morning sickness nasties.
You poor thing (and all you m.s. -stricken mamas) and I hope you all feel better real soon!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:41 PM   #367
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Also, Mindy, I the green yarn too! Hehe!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:49 PM   #368
EskimoStitches
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I bet Youtube and google would help in working out the kinks of your new wheel, Katie. Did you ever finish that hh?

Dh bought me Legos last night. He found me a glow in the dark mummy and a mini fig that looks like me. He is so awesome.

We watched hunger games last night and couldn't help but point out the totally illogical but it was pretty good all things considered. I want to read the books now. I have them so we will see.

About half done on the body of the hh and depending on how long dd wants it I may or may not finish today. My huge fiber order should be shipping today. 19 braids of mostly BME and TibH and that makes me giddy. The seller was super awesome. I was supposed to send her my list the night I went to the ER and she held all her sales so I got dibs when I got out.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #369
HookedByCarolyn
Registered Users
Formerly: shaneNspencersmommy
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches
I bet Youtube and google would help in working out the kinks of your new wheel, Katie. Did you ever finish that hh?

Dh bought me Legos last night. He found me a glow in the dark mummy and a mini fig that looks like me. He is so awesome.

We watched hunger games last night and couldn't help but point out the totally illogical but it was pretty good all things considered. I want to read the books now. I have them so we will see.

About half done on the body of the hh and depending on how long dd wants it I may or may not finish today. My huge fiber order should be shipping today. 19 braids of mostly BME and TibH and that makes me giddy. The seller was super awesome. I was supposed to send her my list the night I went to the ER and she held all her sales so I got dibs when I got out.
Hey Fi! You must read the books! Much better than the movie. Movie kinda sucked. Yay for squishy yarn mail! What an awesome seller!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #370
Dayzee1081
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoStitches

Its almost done (finally!) - I was just breing ADD and playing with my other new toy today and I'll check out YouTube - thanks for the suggestion :-) and that's a Lotta fiber you're getting - any project in mind for it?