Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Core standards have changed in some states. Kinder now looks like 1st grade and a lot if homeschoolers have yet to make the changes. My son just started kinder, knows 50 sight words and can write a Paragraph. It's the standard here. He is also in a very good school and we are dedicated to his homework and studies.

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM   #12
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Can someone give me some advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keen1981 View Post
Core standards have changed in some states. Kinder now looks like 1st grade and a lot if homeschoolers have yet to make the changes. My son just started kinder, knows 50 sight words and can write a Paragraph. It's the standard here. He is also in a very good school and we are dedicated to his homework and studies.
Like if you show him what to write? Or dictate it to him? (This is what I do w.DD)

Or do you mean he can sit down and write his own thoughts into a paragraph? (If that is the case, that is amazing.)
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #13
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

His own thoughts. He knows 50 sight words (see, spell and use in sentence) so his paragraphs are basic. He must try to sound out words he does not know. Like 'home' he spelled 'hom'. Sometimes I help him spell it, but not usually.

Last night he wrote

'my dad is cumng p' 'he plays with me and sebi' ' I like when dad teks me to mooves.'' mom said to play with sebi.'
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
That is the beauty of homeschooling...you can move at the speed of where your child is and not where someone who does not know your child or their readiness for different academic areas thinks they should be.
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #15
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHeatherLynn

That is the beauty of homeschooling...you can move at the speed of where your child is and not where someone who does not know your child or their readiness for different academic areas thinks they should be.
I'm aware of that. Lol. Just explaining why it seems like way more than typical, especially with it being a recent change.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
His own thoughts. He knows 50 sight words (see, spell and use in sentence) so his paragraphs are basic. He must try to sound out words he does not know. Like 'home' he spelled 'hom'. Sometimes I help him spell it, but not usually.

Last night he wrote

'my dad is cumng p' 'he plays with me and sebi' ' I like when dad teks me to mooves.'' mom said to play with sebi.'
ok got ya. she can do that. But for this assignment, all words must be spelled correctly, punctuation used appropriately, etc. so lots of practice writing. Which I don't necessarily think is BAD - I just think it's an excessive amount.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

ok got ya. she can do that. But for this assignment, all words must be spelled correctly, punctuation used appropriately, etc. so lots of practice writing. Which I don't necessarily think is BAD - I just think it's an excessive amount.
It sure does! I hang with a large group of teachers. One was teacher of the year at a very large district and teaches kinder. She would be floored. Floored.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #18
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
They don't actually KNOW if you don't do everything EXACTLY, but you are supposed to. I kind of feel like I'm cheating the system or something.I am going to skip the last 2 days of stranger danger b/c I think 3 days of it is excessive. I am also letting her just do a smaller amount of keyboarding. Like today I only made her do 10 mins.

We just submitted one of her big writing assignments - about what she wore that day, so one long sentence ("I am wearing a pink shirt and a black hello kitty skirt with dark pink socks and silver shoes") - she did a planning page, TWO rough drafts, a final copy and then also a graph, and the teacher is asking me "where is her drawing for this assignment?" Maybe I'm the one who's wrong, but seriously? She wrote SO MUCH and you're complaining over her not drawing it? Oy.

Anyways, thanks for all the perspectives. We'll just keep plugging away but I do think I might trim a little here and there that I think is excessive or unnecessary, and stick to the core concepts to be sure she's got those down.
I don't know if this will help or not, but just offering a little perspective. I taught first grade for several years and my lesson plan book was full. It was because I needed to make sure that 27 kids understood/mastered the concepts taught. I typically had three or four activities for each objective and would start with the one that I thought most kids would get and then moved on from there. If 15 kids got it through one activity, then we would do another (from a different learning style)-then maybe 6 or so more would catch on. At that point, I kind of had to decide to do another activity or go on and catch up the handful that remained with one of the other activities I had planned during a center time. Not always did I do everything that I planned. I felt like it was pointless to beat a dead horse, KWIM? I would look at the charter lessons in the same way. If I were you, I would do the activity and if your DD gets it, then why beat the horse.

As far as writing, that is some serious monotony! I really see the importance of following the writing steps, but even with DD2 (4th grade), I will sometimes write out the planning stage or even type while she dictates if it will be really long. Then we print it out, revise on the paper, correct the document, and print again. Personally, I don't see the sense in writing the same sentence 3-4 times when you are 5yo. Now, sometimes we do things just b/c we have to and I try to teach my kids that as well. Don't worry if you don't do everything 100% to the letter, as long as she has the concepts.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
JackieLyn
feeling festive
seller

My Mood:

We did a virtual academy two school years ago...it was a nice way to get my feet wet into actually planning a school year...it also left a LOT to be desired. If I was confident my kid could do a skill that was planned, I'd skip it and just move on. I just made sure their portfolio items (turn in work) were good and they understood the concepts.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My third grader (public school) would have a meltdown if I tried to get her to write 2 rough drafts and a final copy! And 30 minutes of typing? No way!

Do you have a copy of the kindergarten curriculum - the copy from your Ministry of Education or whatever you call it? Ours are available online. Sometimes knowing what the final educational outcome is meant to be makes it easier to figure out what they are trying to have her know by June so you know where you can cut some corners.
isabelsmummy is online now   Reply With Quote