Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #61
Registered Users
Re: Annoyed at church member regarding her statement to me on BFing....Advice?

I'm sorry someone treated you like that. Having grown up in church, I have experienced these kinds of things a few times. Don't get me wrong, I love the body of believers, and have wonderful relationships and don't know where I would be without the church, BUT there are some people who really struggle with being judgmental and some who honestly feel they are helping others by pushing their own feelings on others under the guise of "advice".
Obviously you have done nothing wrong, nursing is perfectly acceptable in the sanctuary. However, I don't think suddenly nursing without a blanket or cover is really the right thing to do. I think the most Christ-like choice is to continue to use a blanket or a cover and to nurse when you need to. The lady obviously has issues. But be the bigger person and respond in a loving way. If she confronts you again, I would maybe ask advice of another woman in the church (older motherly type?) or go to the pastor. But do so in a humble way, not trying to throw the lady under the bus, but just asking advice on how to deal with confrontation.

One of the reasons I think it is is so important to handle this correctly is that I know how easy it is to become bitter against another believer and that would hurt you more than anyone else. So my advice (though I realize it is difficult) is to choose to forgive her.

FTR, I love my nursing cover. I'm always perplexed about the comments people make about them though. I don't wear a cover to make it less obvious that I am nursing. I wear it to cover my nipples! I don't care if people know I am nursing, but I would prefer no chance of even a mini-flash.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old twin girls and their sweet baby brother

Totally new to cloth, so any advice and info is much appreciated!
Melaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM   #62
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: Annoyed at church member regarding her statement to me on BFing....Advice?

You could print out some great scripture for her to think on:

Psalms 22:9
"Yet you are He who took me out of the womb; You made me hope and trust when I was on my motherís breasts."

I Peter 2:2-3
"Like newborn babies you should crave - thirst for, earnestly desire- the pure (unadulterated) spiritual milk, that by it you may be nurtured and grow unto [completed] salvation; Since you have [already] tasted the goodness and kindness of the Lord."

Isaiah 66:10-13
"Rejoice with Jerusalem, and be glad for her, all you who love her; rejoice for joy with her, all you who mourn over her; That ye may nurse and be satisfied from her consoling breasts; that you may drink deeply and be delighted with the abundance and brightness of her glory. For this is what the Lord says: I will extend peace to her like a river, and the wealth of nations like a flooding stream; you will nurse and be carried on her arm and dandled on her knees. As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you; and you will be comforted over Jerusalem."

I Thessalonians. 2:7-8
"But we behaved gently when we were among you, like a devoted mother nursing and cherishing her own children. So, being thus tenderly and affectionately desirous of you, we continued to share with you not only Godís good news ( the Gospel) but also our own lives as well, for you had become so very dear to us."

Joel 2:16 - Gather the people, sanctify the congregation, assemble the elders, gather the children, and those that suck the breasts: let the bridegroom go forth of his chamber, and the bride out of her closet.

That last one even specifically says when you gather the people and the congregation, that it includes "those that suck at the breast". The bible speaks of nursing in many places, and always compares it to God's love. Never in the bible does it call it lewd, unmodest, or anything of the sort. It compares nursing at the breast to God's love for his people. She needs to listen to what the Lord has to say about it, and put her own prejudice away.
Samantha <3 Aspiring Midwife--Wife to David the and mom to August Benjamin and Archer Harrison Writer for Birth Without Fear
PROUD Intactivist.
blessed1018 is offline   Reply With Quote