Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM   #21
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Going pat 41 weeks...really dangerous?

I don't think you can say with any specific baby induce or not induce at week X based on a study.

What mothers should be doing is talking to their mw/dr and discussing what testing should be done to determine if induction is medically necessary. If you're going and getting NSTs and being closely monitored and everything is looking good, then make that decision. If your baby doesn't seem to be happy, then make that decision.

Clearly, it's a case by case situation and should be treated accordingly.

Advertisement

AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
My friend lost her baby at 42+ after a long induction. The cord may have been compromised and they lost his HR during the last moments before his birth. He was 8lb10oz so not gigantic, but she's kinda petite so big for her. He made it out but not alive. She didn't want to risk an unnecessary c-section with an induction at 40-41wks so she waited and tried acupuncture. Finally at 42wks she went in and 2 days later lost her baby boy. It was one of the single most traumatic and sad experiences I've witnessed. It really changed me to the core. She's since had another baby and they scheduled a c/s at 39wks and everything went great. After 39wks you're only adding risk to your pregnancy... All of my dr's have told me that. I've been induced for health reasons the last 3 pregnancies between 37-39wks.

It sounds like his death wasn't caused by being 42 weeks, though, but instead by the long induction and the cord issues. If it was to do with his cord, it may have occured at any gestational age with labor and birth.
If he had passed away before the induction I would be more likely to put some blame on him being 42 weeks, but not with the other stuff going on.

Again, I can't imagine the issues Levi would have had if we had induced early - 39 weeks would have been 2.5 weeks early for him... that is scary to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
Clearly, it's a case by case situation and should be treated accordingly.
Yes, true.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #23
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My doctor also said the same thing about increased risk after 41 weeks (he's said this since my first dd 4 years ago). That was as far as he would let me go before being induced at 40 weeks 6 days (I actually went into labor and had her before they started the pitocin)
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #24
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

I find it hard to believe in the increase risk, specifically because a lot of hospitals won't induce earlier than 42 weeks in the military. They let you know that, early on, too!
Old 10-09-2012, 06:37 PM   #25
Lklasmama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think it is definitely a scare tactic. Going past your due date is not dangerous, mothers frequently go past the "magical" 40 weeks. I (thankfully) had a good induction experience at 42 weeks with my first, and was able to have a pit-free and drug-free birth. My daughter was perfectly fine and very healthy. My second was born at 41 1/2 weeks, I went into labor on my own, and both of us were perfectly healthy. My third was born at 39 weeks 6 days, and we were perfectly healthy. Babies come when they are ready. Inducing without any medical indication, is both pointless and can just lead to a cascade of interventions which could end in a c-section. You could try to help things along on your own, try using evening primrose oil, eating pineapple, having sex, drinking raspberry leaf tea. But baby will come when he/she is ready.
Lklasmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:50 PM   #26
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Ok. My husband and I have talked it over. The mw wasn't really pressuring us. I think she was just 'letting us know' I'm not worried about a stillborn. What I'm more worried about is I was 42 weeks with my last and he had a nicu stay. We still don't know why. The doctors coulsnt figure out what was wrong with him and I was scared out of my mind. In the back of my head I wonder if going over had something to do with it. The reality is I will never know. I'm just thankful he is happy and healthy. That being said we decided to go in for the induction tomorrow. She told me time and time again that we don't have to. I want to labor in the tub but they only have one tub. She told me to call and see if it was open at that time and if not then call back and when it is open to come on in. I don't really feel pressured to do anything. This wasn't anyone's choice but my husbands and mine. Being induced wasn't something I originally wanted to do but I have had a feeling that something bad would happen since I found out I was pregnant so I guess part of me is still 'waiting' for that to happen. :/

**not so patiently waiting for baby #3 to arrive**
jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #27
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoreta
Ok. My husband and I have talked it over. The mw wasn't really pressuring us. I think she was just 'letting us know' I'm not worried about a stillborn. What I'm more worried about is I was 42 weeks with my last and he had a nicu stay. We still don't know why. The doctors coulsnt figure out what was wrong with him and I was scared out of my mind. In the back of my head I wonder if going over had something to do with it. The reality is I will never know. I'm just thankful he is happy and healthy. That being said we decided to go in for the induction tomorrow. She told me time and time again that we don't have to. I want to labor in the tub but they only have one tub. She told me to call and see if it was open at that time and if not then call back and when it is open to come on in. I don't really feel pressured to do anything. This wasn't anyone's choice but my husbands and mine. Being induced wasn't something I originally wanted to do but I have had a feeling that something bad would happen since I found out I was pregnant so I guess part of me is still 'waiting' for that to happen. :/

Good luck and try not to stress to much! I hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #28
jojoreta
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Thank you Amanda. I'm only sad because my little boy won't be my baby anymore and he still seems so young!

jojoreta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
kushie tushie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoreta
Thank you Amanda. I'm only sad because my little boy won't be my baby anymore and he still seems so young!

I felt like that with DS and I know I'll feel like that with DD this time. DS was 16 mo when DD was born and DD will be 20 mo when this baby is born.

The night I went in to labor with DD I went in to say goodbye to Wesley. He was sleeping and so little and I just cried
I remember thinking why didnt I cuddle him more today b/c tomorrow hes not going to be my baby anymore. OMG- I'm getting emotional just writing that out (I'm lame...and pregnant )..but now they are best buds and I couldnt imagine it any other ways.

Amanda . Blaming my phone for typos and crap.
Amanda- wife to DH. Mama to W (2010), L (2011), H (2013) & expecting #4 Jan 2016
kushie tushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:32 PM   #30
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
My friend lost her baby at 42+ after a long induction. The cord may have been compromised and they lost his HR during the last moments before his birth. He was 8lb10oz so not gigantic, but she's kinda petite so big for her. He made it out but not alive. She didn't want to risk an unnecessary c-section with an induction at 40-41wks so she waited and tried acupuncture. Finally at 42wks she went in and 2 days later lost her baby boy. It was one of the single most traumatic and sad experiences I've witnessed. It really changed me to the core. She's since had another baby and they scheduled a c/s at 39wks and everything went great. After 39wks you're only adding risk to your pregnancy... All of my dr's have told me that. I've been induced for health reasons the last 3 pregnancies between 37-39wks.
I've heard this story before and I took away a very different message. What if the induction contributed to the stillbirth? A woman in my doula training course lost a baby during an induction at 42 weeks, and felt strongly that her baby would have been alive if she hadn't been forced into the induction. I don't think that I would schedule a c-section if my baby died during an induction, but that's just me.
I know a local mother who lost a baby during a homebirth; baby was breech and the cord was compressed in some way during the end of the birth. For their second they chose a hospital birth, but still allowed labor to start on it's own, labored naturally at home for almost the entire labor, and didn't make decisions based on the fear that the same thing would happen during the birth of the second baby.

OP, here is an article from a midwife that discussed inductions and addresses some of your concerns.
http://midwifethinking.com/2010/09/1...lancing-risks/