Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #11
dissidentdad
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What were your medical reasons for circumcising?

I was uncircumcised at birth and was later circumcised due to complications. I know your looking for the medical benefits but I have to suggest insight into the statistics quoted here. I had to look into cancer.gov because I've never looked into that specific source.

Circumcision is also found to reduce prostate cancer but, as with penile cancer, this is prior to the first act of intercourse. I feel if you want to give this medical procedure as an option it would be better to wait, since you should have time to ask your son what he would want prior to him having sex and allow him to make this choice for himself.

When it comes to UTI's there is a reduction during the first six months of life, however sanitary living conditions and proper hygiene protect just as much. The increased rate in uncircumcised men is due to the fact that there are more places for bacteria to hide, however if there is no bacteria there to begin with this is a moot point.

Circumcision has also been found to reduce the rate of certain STD's specifically HSV-2 and HPV. Once again, however, safe sex education can keep this number at zero whether circumcised or uncircumcised.

Advertisement

dissidentdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #12
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissidentdad View Post
I was uncircumcised at birth and was later circumcised due to complications.
I agreed with most of what you posted and have been researching this issue for 4 years as well as thinking about it since I was present for a circumcision procedure during my nursing clinicals. Your quote though, is specifically what I'm curious about. I'm just want to make sure that I'm aware of the possible complications that can arise from not circumcising.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
mekat
Registered Users

I always found the medical benefit argument to be full of holes. I won the argument with the ex because he was pro-circumsion by saying okay but only if you watch the video of a child being circumsized and educate yourself on the pros and cons. I won the argument and then ds was born and it didn't matter because his penis needed to be surgically corrected for hypospadis and chordee and the surgeon used what little of the foreskin that formed to do the correction. Usually when these birth defects happen the children aren't born with their full foreskin anyway ds only had 60% coverage from his.

Side note -
I have seen anti-circ advocates go after even this surgical correction procedure and it genuine perplexes me since when the whole penis is affected by the birth defect they rarely have a functional foreskin anyway. Those anti-circ adovocates (not all of them but some) say it is better to take skin from the thigh which seems way more painful and invasive to me to cut a chunk off a child's thigh versus using a flap of skin that is so deformed it doesn't serve its original purpose anyway.

Last edited by mekat; 10-09-2012 at 09:05 PM.
mekat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:11 PM   #14
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
They have used a local on all 6 of my boys. I have witnessed one myself, dh witnessed one and the others were done at the nursery and I signed papers about it and specifically was told they do. Maybe this is regional... I'm in CA and this was between 1997 and 2011.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #15
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinKristi View Post
They have used a local on all 6 of my boys. I have witnessed one myself, dh witnessed one and the others were done at the nursery and I signed papers about it and specifically was told they do. Maybe this is regional... I'm in CA and this was between 1997 and 2011.
I think you may be correct. I'm in the midwest with a high rate of circumcision and I think a low rate of anesthesia. I could be wrong but when I witnessed in clinicals for nursing anesthesia was not used and it was the norm.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #16
isabelsmummy
Registered Users
seller

My high school boyfriend had to be circumcised in Gr11. I'm not entirely sure why, as it's rarely something 18yr olds discuss.. I think it was something to do with it not having been correctly formed (the foreskin).

So is the rate of prostate cancer lower in the US than in Europe? Because Europeans tend not to circumcise and Americans tend to do it. Same with infant UTI's? Is there a lower rate in the US?
isabelsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 PM   #17
dissidentdad
Registered Users

My Mood:

When I initially responded to this post I was really just trying to encourage the OP and everyone else not to circumcise. Now I get to talk about the kind of thing that no man wants to talk about. Ultimately, I was considered to have phimosis, which is the inability to retract the foreskin.

Having done research as an adult, I was six at the time of the procedure, I feel this diagnosis was premature. There are multiple reasons for phimosis. Physiological phimosis is common and you basically grow out of it by the time the penis is done growing around the age of 17.

Pathological phimosis is much more complicated. Basically it comes from abuse, in the literal sense not necessarily sexual, to that area of the body. Basically anything that causes inflammation in the glans or foreskin can cause phimosis. Natural lack of retractibility is common prior to the age of 1, however uninformed medical staff retracting the foreskin can cause it to change from physiological to pathological. Untreated diabetes causes glucose to be present in the urine which can cause infection in the foreskin. Phimosis may occur after other types of chronic inflammation , repeated catheterization, or forcible foreskin retraction.

Basically don't let people mess with your son's penis and he should be good. Hope this helps.
dissidentdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

A pediatrician tried to tell me DS would have to be circ'd because at age 4 he still couldn't retract. (He's going on 7 and still can't.) There were a couple studies done (I'll try to find the links) that showed the average age of retractibility was 10 years old, and it was still considered normal (though rare) into puberty.

For this reason, whenever I hear of someone who "had to be circ'd" as a child I wonder if it was simply because the doctor didn't know this.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:51 PM   #19
tinyblackdot
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We will be circumcising, i had and my dd also had kidney reflux and most likely DS will have it as well, that causes UTIs and can cause kidney damage with each infection, and DS will have a higher risk of cancer because of my daughter's cancer diagnosis, so we will be eliminating all possibilities possible.

Had those issues not existed in our family, we would NOT be circumcising.

Its a very hard decision and a very personal one, it took me quite a while to be ok with our decision, but i do believe we are doing what is best for our son.

Last edited by tinyblackdot; 10-09-2012 at 10:52 PM.
tinyblackdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #20
DesertRat
Registered Users
seller

Here's a link that talks about several studies that were done about normal retraction.

http://www.cirp.org/library/normal/

I think it's important that parents know in case they come across misinformed doctors. When DS's ped said he'd have to be circumcised, I knew it didn't sound right, but it had been so long since I'd read anything about it. Thankfully I came home and googled the info and found these studies. But for a parent who doesn't know and just trusts their doctor, it pains me to think there are doctors out there circumcising boys for being totally normal.

And for the OP, I know this probably seems like I'm getting off-topic. But, when discussing the need for circumcision, there are so many people who say they know someone who had to be circumcised as a child or adult, to the point it feels like an epidemic. And since it appears to be such a common problem, I think some parents are talked into circumcising their infant b/c they feel that problems are almost inevitable. Unfortunately, I think a lot of the "medical necessity" for late circumcisions stems from doctors not knowing any better, or from forcibly retracting which causes problems that do require circumcision. I think it's important to point out that when an intact penis is cared for properly (ie: left alone!) the chance of problems is incredibly rare!

Last edited by DesertRat; 10-09-2012 at 11:25 PM.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote