Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-09-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
tmrobinson
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cheap Non-Handmade Gifts That Don't Look Cheap

I agree with the pp about the kitchen stuff. If you have someone someone that likes kitchen stuff you can always find great cookbooks at Tj Maxx, Marhsalls, Ross and throw in some seasonal kitchen towels or kitchen gadget....I would love this kind of gift.

For books/toys/dvds you can go to Barnes and Noble site and find something little or cheap (but something you could actually use or gift) and add it to your cart. There should be an option when you check out to sign up for a free two month free membership and go ahead and sign up. This will give you free express shipping for the next two months. Then go back and sign up for a kids club account (free) and they will send you a coupon code for 30% off. Last year they had some amazing sales and deals and with the free shipping and I got half my list crossed off from here with toys, books, and dvds. You can go into your account and uncheck auto renewal right away so you don't forget in two months and it won't affect your free trial.

Advertisement

tmrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
issybissy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I always do "baskets" but I don't keep in baskets...I just use ribbon to wrap together or place them all in the same gift bag ...
I've done bags that include coffee press, mug, and coffee.
Or chocolates, shortbread cookies, and tea bags
Or kid melamine dinner set and lunch recipe cards and a $10 gift card to target or shop rite to buy some of the ingredients with
Ummm...I also did movie theme with popcorn, candy boxes, and movie tickets
And recently my brother gifted me 3 different bubble teas, the bubble, straws, and tall glasses.

I've also done stickers, coloring books, markers, playdoh sets and hand them out to random kids that willbe at the holiday party but aren't too close to me. Love $5below!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:23 PM   #13
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybissy
I always do "baskets" but I don't keep in baskets...I just use ribbon to wrap together or place them all in the same gift bag ...
I've done bags that include coffee press, mug, and coffee.
Or chocolates, shortbread cookies, and tea bags
Or kid melamine dinner set and lunch recipe cards and a $10 gift card to target or shop rite to buy some of the ingredients with
Ummm...I also did movie theme with popcorn, candy boxes, and movie tickets
And recently my brother gifted me 3 different bubble teas, the bubble, straws, and tall glasses.

I've also done stickers, coloring books, markers, playdoh sets and hand them out to random kids that willbe at the holiday party but aren't too close to me. Love $5below!
I've done this too--a mug + a box of recipient's favorite tea, or a set of nice kids' art supplies that were on clearance + a roll of paper from IKEA.

Once a co-worker made everyone gift sets of popcorn + Blockbuster gift cards...does Red Box do gift cards? Since Blockbuster is gone (at least around here).
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #14
NoMoreJunk
Registered Users

I have found my family and friends to be very receptive to food. I found a recipe for an easy chocolate truffle a few years ago. I make a double batch of those, seal them in zippered sandwich bags and put them in decorated boxes from the final markdown or ocean state job lot. I also get a slab of ghiradelli chocolates from Sam's Club (2.5 lbs for about $7) and a couple pkgs of double stuf Oreos and make chocolate Covered Oreos. People really love them.
NoMoreJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Grandparents and aunties often like photo calendars. Upload 12 pics of your kids to shutterfly or whatever, pick out a calendar template, order multiple at a time for both a discount and ease of gift giving. It's ok to give multiple grandparents the same calendar gift if they aren't going to be comparing. Like my grandmother on my dad's side has no idea what my grandmother on my mom's side got for Christmas so it doesn't matter that they got the same thing.
happysmileylady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
sweetpeapumpkinbaby
Registered Users
seller
seller

I love all the ideas! I was thinking a DVD (they have some good ones at walmart for $5) and popcorn (get some fancy kinds at a bulk food store if you can, microwave if not). I think this would be good for grown ups or kids.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:06 PM   #17
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpeapumpkinbaby
I love all the ideas! I was thinking a DVD (they have some good ones at walmart for $5) and popcorn (get some fancy kinds at a bulk food store if you can, microwave if not). I think this would be good for grown ups or kids.
Even my 3-year-old would love that! (She might be slightly obsessed with popcorn.)
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #18
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you have a good dollar store close to you you can get containers and make your own gift baskets really cheap. Crafts for kids, kitchen stuff, car stuff, bath products etc. I also let my kids pick out a gift for the people on thier list (including each other) from the dollar store I can let them pick out whatever they want and who cares if its something goofy, its $1. they get super excited about picking it out all on their own. And it helps put emphasis on giving instead if just getting.

Sent from my droid
Old 10-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #19
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to say a movie-night-in-a-bag!

And I Kohl's clearance and Ross. That right there covers about 90% of my gift shopping year round!!
Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #20
babynme8
Registered Users
seller
seller

My go to gift is the plastic tumbers with a straw and lid and fill it up with nice candies or drink mixes. CVS always has them with fun holiday themes.
babynme8 is offline   Reply With Quote