Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
Greenebean214
Registered Users
seller

Normal! I felt the same exact way. I still don't like anyone else to try to calm her down if she gets upset, and she's almost 17 months old! I remember my MIL trying to soothe her when she was younger and I'm standing right next to her saying "I'll take her back now" with my arms out and she refused to hand her over!! I was livid) DD was SCREAMING and that woman was essentially a stranger to her- I had to literally pry her from MIL's arms!!!!!!! I doubt it will get better with the potential next LO's.

Advertisement

Welcomed Liberty Grace May 12, 2011!
Greenebean214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #22
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Selfish with your baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenebean214 View Post
Normal! I felt the same exact way. I still don't like anyone else to try to calm her down if she gets upset, and she's almost 17 months old! I remember my MIL trying to soothe her when she was younger and I'm standing right next to her saying "I'll take her back now" with my arms out and she refused to hand her over!! I was livid) DD was SCREAMING and that woman was essentially a stranger to her- I had to literally pry her from MIL's arms!!!!!!! I doubt it will get better with the potential next LO's.
We've had similar instances, I don't understand why other people feel the need to be possessive over a baby that is not theirs. There were times as an infant my son would be screaming reaching his arms out for me and they would ignore him even though I was standing right there ready to take him.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #23
Tina5834
Registered Users
Formerly T***e
seller
seller

My Mood:
My whole family know that I don't like to 'share' the baby. But, I do share my newbies for a few minutes at a time!
Tina5834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #24
crazyeyesmcgee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I do NOT want people holding my babies until they are at least a few months old. I always dread the "food drop off" because I know it's sort of expected to let them cuddle baby while they are there. This time around, I just stopped offering even when they'd drop hints. If it was family asking, I'd say "she JUSt fell asleep and I don't want to wake her" or something like that. Don't care, MY baby, you can wait. And absolutely NO kids holding baby until 3-4 months old. My midwife (yes, midwife!!) brought her 9 year old over for my post partum visit and kept saying her daughter tagged along alllll day to her appointments just to see and hold my baby. When I didn't give in, she finally whispered "can you just let her hold her for a minute?" I said no and gave some excuse I can't remember now. Sadly, if I ever have another I will not use her as my midwife because that pissed me off so much.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #25
katengrace
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I was the exact same way with all if mine. In fact people always joke that no one held dd4 for her first year. She is 14 months old and has only been left with dh for a funeral and doctor appts.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #26
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemarques View Post
Haha exactly! Thank you now I don't feel so crazy!! Everyone is always so quick to shove a paci in her mouth but I'm pretty sure she's not crying because she wants her pacifier... Today I put our two pacifiers away so people can't just grab them up and automatically give them to her. I really bought them for car use only when I can't tend to her.
Good luck with that - I WISH mine would take a soother for cars but she wont take them at all any time...I think if you don't introduce them pretty early they will never take them.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:43 AM   #27
Angel89411
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeyesmcgee
I do NOT want people holding my babies until they are at least a few months old. I always dread the "food drop off" because I know it's sort of expected to let them cuddle baby while they are there. This time around, I just stopped offering even when they'd drop hints. If it was family asking, I'd say "she JUSt fell asleep and I don't want to wake her" or something like that. Don't care, MY baby, you can wait. And absolutely NO kids holding baby until 3-4 months old. My midwife (yes, midwife!!) brought her 9 year old over for my post partum visit and kept saying her daughter tagged along alllll day to her appointments just to see and hold my baby. When I didn't give in, she finally whispered "can you just let her hold her for a minute?" I said no and gave some excuse I can't remember now. Sadly, if I ever have another I will not use her as my midwife because that pissed me off so much.
Oh my goodness. That is some gall.
Angel89411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I viewed people coming over wanting to hold baby as my break, so I could do something else. So I quite happily handed her over to whomever, including letting the odd sweet little old lady hold her when I had to grab something or put on the mei tai again at the mall. Everyone wants to hold the baby! However, that's not to say it isn't completely normal to feel like you always want to cuddle the squish, and feel protective of baby, it certainly is.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
Babybird4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I offended MIL once but oh well. They were having a house built when DD1 was 3 months old and stayed with us in the interim for about 2 months. I was tired of sharing and spent most of our days playing in my bedroom/TV room upstairs while they were downstairs. One morning she heard DD wake up and while I was getting her changed MIL came in and said "you have to share her sometime today." I said "I absolutely do NOT have to share her." and finished changing her and proceeded to my room for the day.

I also hate when in the hospital and people pass her around and when I ask to have my baby back they say "Oh, you will get to hold her all the time." Well yes, that is because I am the one that pushed her out and she is MINE!
Babybird4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #30
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm the opposite, I'll pass my babies off to whoever wants to hold them (within reason obviously). I actually think that is the reason why my children are so comfortable around others. We never went through stranger anxiety phases with them, and DD started daycare recently without shedding a single tear.

Although, nothing beats a good baby snuggle.

I held my daughter constantly. Even when she slept I held her. I hated passing her to anyone. I did not pass her around. My daughter never went through separation anxiety. She never met a stranger. I had only to tell her where I was going and when I would be back. As long as I did that she was fine without me. I think it has more to do with a child's personality than it does with passing them around or keeping them close to mama.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote