Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #11
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Diapers, Cloth Pads & 1st time ordering Fabric Online

If you want streatch they will mostly end up the same in the end. A heavy interlock will hold up to wearing a bit better but it will also tear and wear. All fabrics will, it's just about choosing what you need and know how it will behave.

Advertisement

mgmsrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
Veronemilie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

OK so I guess I will just make sure to put an elastic in the back to help with the fit (I was already planning to put in leg elastics). With that being said what would be your recomendation for a fabric that will hold up well to 2-3 years of diapering (not in a small rotation I would like to make 4 doz plus I will have about 2 doz pockets) & be somewhat affordable. I was thinking a cotton might do well enough as I will have inserts if I get a super soaker. But I want to make sure I get something that will wear well, because if I am going to put all this work & effort into making these diapers I want to make sure they last.

Thanks I really apreciate the input.

Swag with me!
Veronemilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:44 AM   #13
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bamboo and hemp fleece has held up the best with OBV and CV coming in second. The OBV and CV change in texture but they still work wonderfully. My jersey/interlock works but has more holes then the others. Cotton from regular fabric store is the most cost effective.

I would go to the thrift stores (check Kijiji too) and pick up some cotton jersey and flannel sheets to make some to see if you like hoe the pattern comes together.

What kind of covers will you be using?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #14
Veronemilie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I will be using just regular PUL covers & likely make some Poly Fleece ones to use as well (I have a pair of snap pliers as well that I will use to put on some closures).

I will test out my pattern this weekend as I will be going to the city on Monday & can use that oportunity to pic up the fabric. I will be going to FabricVille as they have the most selection around, (of course I cant see what their flyer will be on Monday as their current flyer ends on Sunday). What fabric would you recomend I get?

Thanks

Swag with me!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
mgmsrk
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Unless your Fabricville is greatly different than mine was (PEI) your only choices will be cotton. Mine said they were getting in a bamboo/cotton jersey but they never did.

I would go with the heaviest 100% cotton knit you can find.

I think members get a sneak peek at the flyers, if I get my email i will let you know.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:17 PM   #16
Veronemilie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Cotton will likely be my only choice, but they have a lot of selection so I will have a look around, the one I will be going is the one in Gatineau, Quebec so a fairly big store. I think I am signed up for the e-mails as well. I will pick up some cotton velour for my pads & see what they have in their left over bin for fun prints for my pads (I've decided to use printed wovens instead of the jersey for a little more fun), I'll also pick up some poly fleece to use on my pads & to make afew covers from.

I'll try out my pattern with a woven & see how it behaves with an extra elastic at the back & some at the legs, should help with the fit & then I can use Flanel or something else along those lines which will likely last a little longer than a knit.

Thanks

Swag with me!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
One Little Window
Registered Users
Formerly: mamainmaine
seller
seller

My flannel and hemp dipes that I've made have outlasted the others in terms of wear. I REALLY like stretchy dipes. But in terms of practicality I'm a huge fan of flannel. I think it's under-rated. A really quality flannel shouldn't get scratchy or pilly either.
One Little Window is offline   Reply With Quote