Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #11
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Re: What do you do when cars speed down your street?

I do nothing... I don't like confrontation, especially in my (less-than-stellar) neighborhood! I've also never heard of that hand sign for "slow down". I would be confused if someone did that to me!

Advertisement

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
Swimmingly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, let me break it to you. NOTHING you do will stop the cars from speeding by. Nothing.

I live on a street that is the entrance to our subdivision, so not a ton of traffic, but a decent amount. We have lived here for 6 years and all six of those years a coalition of our neighbors have been HOUNDING the police dept to do something about all these speeders. They have set up speed traps, put one of those blinky signs up that tells you you are going too fast, etc, etc. They sat out there at rush hour every day for a week clocking speeders and handing out tickets. Did anything change? Nope. They have now put in a stop sign near my house, and I honestly hate it. People are now ACCELERATING as they go past my house. Lovely. SOOO much louder than it used to be. Ugh.

My next door neighbor will sit at the end of his driveway while his kids play outside and he gives the "slow down" signal to every car that speeds by. He has had SEVERAL people stop and cuss him out for it. He also pissed off one guy enough that that guy will now GUN IT as he passes now. Every.single.day. Multiple times a day. It is seriously irritating. And it has been going on for close to a year. He must really hold a grudge!

So, yeah. I spray painted a line well back from the end of my driveway and taught the kids that they DO NOT cross that line unless I am holding their hands. The 5 year old does well with that. The 2 year old does most of the time, but I still have to watch her.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Throw a basketball at the repeat offenders car as it speeds by........................j/k (save the hatemail). It was a huge problem at our last house even though we lived on post it was still the main road from the school and a lot of the guys units. So my bigest offenders were mommies after school who were texting non the less while doing 45 in a 15 zone, and soldiers who were in a hurry to get home. I just took plates down and called them in. Now we dont hardly ever have any cars on our road so I dont have to worry about it.
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:33 PM   #14
Shimpie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_to_DJM View Post
I do nothing... I don't like confrontation, especially in my (less-than-stellar) neighborhood! I've also never heard of that hand sign for "slow down". I would be confused if someone did that to me!
The "slow down" hand motion is often used by construction workers.
Shimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Shake my fist and yell "this us a neighborhod!"

No really maybe see if the police department will put up a little yellow child shaped sign or a sign that says slow children playing or something? I think you are probably fighting a losing battle but it might make yout feel better to do all you can.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
shouldbedoinglaundry
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13 View Post
Shake my fist and yell "this us a neighborhod!"

No really maybe see if the police department will put up a little yellow child shaped sign or a sign that says slow children playing or something? I think you are probably fighting a losing battle but it might make yout feel better to do all you can.
OM-Gosh; love your avatar!!

My ISO/IHA
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...3#post15551593
shouldbedoinglaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14 PM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I know about 10 yrs ago on our street (long before we moved here, so this is accdg to a few of our neighbors who have lived here forever), a lady petitioned the county to put in speed bumps on our street, and she kept going to city hall and making a big flap about it and so they finally did it.

Our street sits between two busy streets and one block back from two very busy intersections where the two streets intersect with a very very busy 6 lane road. So, it's a great shortcut for someone who wants to avoid the heavy traffic at the intersections. (probably hard to picture... sorry) I guess ppl used to speed down our road to cut through and avoid the traffic, hence the lady complaining and getting speed bumps put in.

I dunno, maybe that's worth a try?

Other than that, I can only echo PP's about teaching your kids the dangers of the street, not allowing them to go past the sidewalk, wearing younger babies whenever it's practical, and keeping a close eye.

I have 3 right now - 5.5, 4, and 18 mos. We have an average city sized driveway and then there's the sidewalk, and then the street. I get EVERYTHING ready to go out the door and I put it right by the front door. I unlock the car using the key fob from inside the house, let my older two out the door, they get in the car and start buckling (or, more often arguing over carseats or something LOL). I leave the front door open, grab the 18 mo old, go put her in the car, leave all the doors open (cause this is FL) walk back to the door, grab bags or whatever, lock the door, and then close all car doors, start the car, and go. Probably not the most ideal thing, but it works and no issues so far. I watch carefully from the front step as the older 2 get in the car to make sure they don't go wander somewhere, once they are in the car, I have to go grab the baby, which takes probably 30 seconds in our tiny house, assuming she isn't right at my ankles....

Could you maybe get a few of those huge irridescent signs to stick in your yard/driveway to encourage ppl to slow down? Like this?
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #18
UnderTheStars
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would really focus more on teaching the kids the dangers because unfortunately, you can never count on the public to use common sense. That sounds harsh, but it's the truth. If you teach the kids that absolutely, positively, under no circumstances are they to go near the road then the trust lies with them instead of Joe Blow out there in the street who is late for work. I suppose you *could* call the police, though I'm not sure what good it would do. We actually had a hit & run fatality right in front of our house, and then another involving a dog a few months later...it was a terrible place where the road forked and people ALWAYS sped through there. After the fatality I requested they put a stop sign at the fork to try and slow people down, but it never got done. Sad.

The only other thing you could do is to buy one of these signs to put in your driveway. Maybe it would help people use their heads about how fast they are going, at any rate.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:49 PM   #19
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
We have a stop sign in front of our house, but people rarely totally stop. If they slow dowm and kinda roll through, I give a dirty look. If they just blow through it, I yell at them. Seriously.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Myles_104
Registered Users

My MIL lives in a speed controlled neighbourhood. Speed bumps ever 5-6 houses, its a pain when you need to go down there, but great for stopping speeders. We had a huge speeding problem at our old house. Over one winter there was a NASTY (like 3ft across and about 9inches deep) pot hole that cropped up over winter. I would take great pleasure in parking right across from it (so not able to swerve) and watch speeders fly through the street and hit it going 70km/h in a 50km/h zone
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote