Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #11
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kitchen storage solutions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
Our brother in law gave us an awesome dehumidifier, we use the basement for storage ( like totes of clothes and stuff ). I could easily convert the second room for food storage, just need to buy shelves. There is actually a canning room down there but the shelves are old, dirty and just plain icky. Our house is OLD, like it has a coal room old lol
You mean you have a cold room? Wow! I would LOVE to have a cold room! Even if it was dirty and icky, it is better then what I have now (nothing remotely close to a cold room) and NJ requires a 10% cut on any home improvement that we do (adding walls or anything like that).

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
MrsAsh
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you buy canned goods by the flat you can stack the flats and it keeps you using your food in even rotation as well I start stocking up this time of year b/c I hate going out during Dec and during snow!
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 ladybugs View Post
You mean you have a cold room? Wow! I would LOVE to have a cold room! Even if it was dirty and icky, it is better then what I have now (nothing remotely close to a cold room) and NJ requires a 10% cut on any home improvement that we do (adding walls or anything like that).
Not sure what the difference between a coal room or a cold room is but this is where they would store coal. There used to be a shoot that they would pour it down but I am not sure where it was orginally, just know it is gone now lol There is actually still coal down there and who knows what else. It is dirty, icky and dark. I never ever go in it lol
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:48 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters
The pantry I have was kind of a hall closet, it is in the back entry way by the basement steps. There is a lot of space but I can only reach four of the shelves lol, yes I am short. So the top three I need my husband to reach and get stuff.
Oh I get this completely. I can only reach the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets. It's ridiculous. I have to use my Stepstool to get a sippy cup. So, basically, to do anything.

I think this kitchen was designed for giants.

But if it's just a jic type stockpile, you don't need to reach them often, so it's okay to use those top shelves. And get a Stepstool
Old 10-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilytheStrange View Post
Oh I get this completely. I can only reach the bottom shelf of my kitchen cabinets. It's ridiculous. I have to use my Stepstool to get a sippy cup. So, basically, to do anything.

I think this kitchen was designed for giants.

But if it's just a jic type stockpile, you don't need to reach them often, so it's okay to use those top shelves. And get a Stepstool
Oh man, if I tried to use a step stool I would probably die lol. I will try to explain the set up in a clear manner haha. Okay you walk in the back door, straight in front of you are basement stairs, a slight turn to the right there are three stairs that lead to another door, the door into the house and kitchen. My "pantry is on the side of the stairs.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:52 PM   #16
3 ladybugs
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/do-it...m0z04zsie.aspx This shows what a cold room is. I highly doubt you would keep your coal in there. I guess you might but it would make your food dirty! It was common in older then mine houses. However it went the way of the dodo bird and now people who are stockpiling are wanting them back. They are very useful and if done properly can be like a warm fridge.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #17
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not my pic but the same thing basically
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peterjbaer/567183047/

ETA - I want to seal it up. It is so dirty in there.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

How much counter space or wall space for shelves do you have? I took all my spices, baking powder/soda/cornstarch/etc type stuff all out of drawers and cabinets and instead have them in wooden wine boxes I got from Costco. My contractor put a shelf right in the middle of it and when the wine box is on it's side I have a double shelf. I have four of them lined up on the wall at the back of one counter. The spices and oils/vinegars/etc are all lined up in them, along with baking type stuff, and vitamins. On the top of the wine boxes is all my tea and then large glass containers and mason jars with dry goods. I buy bulk flour, sugar, wheat flour, brown sugar, rice, pasta, beans and nuts and then put a usable amount in the large glass jars and store the rest in a place that is accessible enough to dig into once a month or less frequently with a little work.

Does this make any sense? Haha, I can't tell if this description works at all because it's in front of me at the moment.

This freed up TWO cabinets and TWO whole drawers that now hold like half my kitchen stuff and all glassware. It gave me so much space.

ETA: I am next going to do this with my veggies along another wall/counter

I was flipping through channels a few weeks ago and saw this, and decided I NEED to do it

Last edited by Hungry Caterpillar; 10-10-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:55 PM   #19
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There is no way I can leave my spices out. I have two counters so to speak, one is by the sink for dishes and the other is by the stove. On the one by the stove there is enough space for my coffee area, toaster, a few minor things and a little prep room. That is it.

I am thinking about having my DH build little shelves between the two cabinets on the wall and storing spices there.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #20
Hungry Caterpillar
Registered Users
seller
seller

Do you have wall space for a large mounted object? I was thinking of making this
http://ana-white.com/2010/06/plans/25-cubbies-wall

But, changing the specs to fit a typically-sized spice jar because I have a lot of spices, and then also putting other small kitchen things in there that seem to take up too much drawer and cabinet space.

I think shelves and cubbies and building up can be a great use of space I wish my husband could build stuff like that!
Hungry Caterpillar is online now   Reply With Quote