Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #21
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Farming/Homesteading October Chat Thread

Megan that kitchen is GORGEOUS! Love it!

Here, I almost bought 2 jersey cows. Someone about 30 miles away (which is super local for us) was selling a boy and a girl for $35 each, but we're just not set up for cows. Though I have to wonder if something is wrong with them since they usually go for $400+ around here. Maybe because they were 5 weeks old? Dh was hoping that I'd take them because it would keep me busy and keep me from working out of the home (he doesn't want me working until ALL kids are in school full time. That's another 3 years and if I don't find at least a per diem before July I'll lose my licence as a CNA). I may have a job coming from the hospital where my mom works though. It for the ER and the nurse manager likes the fact I was trained as an EMT years ago. Plus they love my mom's work ethic (both my parents are really hard workers and instilled it into me from an early age. I had my first honest to God, real job when I was 8).

I am getting increasingly disgruntled with the local school. My 4th graders spelling word consist of things like 'yes' and 'green' and she has to spend 10 mins per night on math flash cards... addition, can you believe it, she should be AT LEAST on multiplication tables! My daughter rolls her eyes each time we pratic and asks if I can give her the times tables and mark her paper as having done the addition. She's still doing stuff she learned in Kindergarden in CA, the educational system here is a joke. If I don't get the ER job I'll likely homeshool. Either way I'm pretty sure next year I'll be homeschooling. They just like 'going to school' *sigh*

Oh and it's apple season. The 'local' orchard 45 miles away has some nice apples. And while they don't advertise it I got some inside info that any from the ground were $0.15/lb vs the $0.45/lb from the tree. I knw have 20 overstuffed grocery bags to go thru and put up. That's what I'm supposed to be doing now but I have a feverish 5 YO in my lap atm.

Had something tear apart my roo the other day. Swear it was the neighbors dog. But today I caught a fox xhasing one of my hens up the drive and into the street. A passing truck hit the chicken, darned fox survived :angry: so tomroow mornign DH and I are headed to town after a .22 rifle since all I had was a bb gun and a 270. The nighbors, roads and tril system are all too close for the 270 (plus it's kid safe atm. The ammo is in a lockbox in the basement and the rifle is dismantled in the closet in our room on the 2nd floor WITH a trigger guard on it.) Have no idea how we'll store the .22 to keep it fox ready and away from kids. May come home with a cabnet with combo lock on it too. I wouldn't keep it loaded but a clip loaded in the same case and easy to get together quick, I dunno.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #22
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post
Megan that kitchen is GORGEOUS! Love it!

Here, I almost bought 2 jersey cows. Someone about 30 miles away (which is super local for us) was selling a boy and a girl for $35 each, but we're just not set up for cows. Though I have to wonder if something is wrong with them since they usually go for $400+ around here. Maybe because they were 5 weeks old? Dh was hoping that I'd take them because it would keep me busy and keep me from working out of the home (he doesn't want me working until ALL kids are in school full time. That's another 3 years and if I don't find at least a per diem before July I'll lose my licence as a CNA). I may have a job coming from the hospital where my mom works though. It for the ER and the nurse manager likes the fact I was trained as an EMT years ago. Plus they love my mom's work ethic (both my parents are really hard workers and instilled it into me from an early age. I had my first honest to God, real job when I was 8).

I am getting increasingly disgruntled with the local school. My 4th graders spelling word consist of things like 'yes' and 'green' and she has to spend 10 mins per night on math flash cards... addition, can you believe it, she should be AT LEAST on multiplication tables! My daughter rolls her eyes each time we pratic and asks if I can give her the times tables and mark her paper as having done the addition. She's still doing stuff she learned in Kindergarden in CA, the educational system here is a joke. If I don't get the ER job I'll likely homeshool. Either way I'm pretty sure next year I'll be homeschooling. They just like 'going to school' *sigh*

Oh and it's apple season. The 'local' orchard 45 miles away has some nice apples. And while they don't advertise it I got some inside info that any from the ground were $0.15/lb vs the $0.45/lb from the tree. I knw have 20 overstuffed grocery bags to go thru and put up. That's what I'm supposed to be doing now but I have a feverish 5 YO in my lap atm.

Had something tear apart my roo the other day. Swear it was the neighbors dog. But today I caught a fox xhasing one of my hens up the drive and into the street. A passing truck hit the chicken, darned fox survived :angry: so tomroow mornign DH and I are headed to town after a .22 rifle since all I had was a bb gun and a 270. The nighbors, roads and tril system are all too close for the 270 (plus it's kid safe atm. The ammo is in a lockbox in the basement and the rifle is dismantled in the closet in our room on the 2nd floor WITH a trigger guard on it.) Have no idea how we'll store the .22 to keep it fox ready and away from kids. May come home with a cabnet with combo lock on it too. I wouldn't keep it loaded but a clip loaded in the same case and easy to get together quick, I dunno.
Yay, that's way too cheap for a jersy heifer! I understand the jersey steer. Here, jersey heifer calves will still go for 80-120. Our Rosie just had a heifer and we named her Maizy. Right now my dh and fil are bottlefeeding her, but I'm hoping when my son's month long intense therapy program is over then I can take over. We are keeping her and I'd love her to love me whenever I'm allowed to start milking. My DH says I can't until the last kiddo is around 3 (baby girl is turning 1). haha.

I LOVE shooting our .22! It's lightweight, not too hard, no kickback really. I much prefer it to rifles, handguns and the sort. We do that with ours, keep the guns in the gun cabinet by our bed and the clips loaded ontop, ready to shove in. It's worked well and we are still able to get deer (we have farm permits), groundhogs, etc. in time.

Do your kids help with canning the apples? I am dreaming when mine are old enough! I canned 2-1/2 bushels of apples over 2 days and with the 4 kids being so young... those days were so tiring! At our orchard they just go by the peck/half bushel/bushel. I wonder what poundage that equals out to?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #23
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
try a full dose vinegar soak. vinegar should neutralize the pee and as it dries will take the smell out. you can try that special stuff they have for cat pee too. can't remember the name of it??? Nature's miracle or something like that i think
Thanks!! MIL bought something like that for some problems they were having with one of the cats peeing on the wall...She's going to give me a bottle of it to try out.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #24
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the old guy at the auction barn when we went said that cows twins are not a good buy. so if the mother had a boy/girl or two girls. you don't want them. he said 9 out of 10 times the girls are sterile and of no use to you!!

that could very well be the problem!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 AM   #25
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloecat View Post
the old guy at the auction barn when we went said that cows twins are not a good buy. so if the mother had a boy/girl or two girls. you don't want them. he said 9 out of 10 times the girls are sterile and of no use to you!!

that could very well be the problem!
Amanda- This ^^ Yes. Dh was just telling me that the other night. We were talking about MY chances of conceiving twins/triplets on fertility meds (which we are starting next month if we don't conceive this month) and he started talking about cows then (yeah true farmer!!! LOL) and how in twin cows the female has a very high chance of being sterile. I knew this but had forgotten all about it...ofcourse at that moment I was thinking about my OWN possible future kids...not a calves. Haha. Also, Mom and Dad buy 2 steers every few years as calves from their neighbor and dad's best friend. A few years back that neighbor gave them a heifer with their steer they bought being she was the steers twin and he said that my parents would probably need to butcher her as well. He said they just butcher or sell twin heifers off for beef anyway. He said if she turned out to be non-sterile that they could keep her as a milk cow free...She ended up sterile and butchered as beef.

About the school system...My jaw literally dropped. My 6 (seven in January) nephew is learning that stuff in first grade right now. Dh thinks I'm nuts but I'm keeping an eye on the schools in this area already (we have atleast 3 years before even pre-k). I've already found one (ofcourse the one Ds will be supposedly going to) that I'm not impressed with b/c of the way the teachers act and how smart the kids seem (they seem behind other schools). I told Dh that if I'm not impressed after the first year of him going there, he will be transferred to the one in the neighboring town (which I really like...teachers/kids I've met are really nice and seem smart). He thinks I'm nuts for even thinking about it yet.

As for the gun. We keep some in a locked cabinet at the farm house and I keep the clip in my Ruger .243 (my "baby" in way of rifles. Daddy bought it for me when I was 13 as a birthday present. Haven't used any other rifle since.) so I can just jack a shell when I see a coyote in the field. Darn things kill deer, cats, chickens, geese, and pester the cows. Dh keeps his .243 above the entryway so he can grab it quick. His isn't loaded tho. We have an awful coyote problem at the home-farm when we stay. Here I keep my old old 20 guage (passed down through years...I've had it for 12 years...my baby in ways of shotguns) with clip in, ready to jack a shell for when Dh is over at the farm working until late, fixing machines and stuff. I'm paranoid that someone is going to try and break in. I've never lived close to a road before. We always lived in the boonies, back off the road in the middle of no where!!

Last edited by Dani_Phen; 10-11-2012 at 05:59 AM.
Dani_Phen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:26 AM   #26
Dani_Phen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So tuesday, Ds ended up busting his lip and needed taken to the Dr to get checked out. He is fine...just tore the little piece of skin that runs from the top inside gums to the top inside lip. Bled like a son of a brick tho! **sighs** NOTHING on my "to-do" list got done but somehow I still managed to finish washing bedsheets (along with Ds's newly bloodied bedsheets from smacking his face off the bed) fairly late into the night. Yesterday laundry got finished and I ran around visiting people for birthdays and birthday parties in our hometown. Didn't get home until 10:30 last night. And I am fighting one heck of a cold! DH had it...Ds is getting over it...now I got it.

So today we are finishing up decorating for fall, folding 2 loads of laundry, washing diapers, cutting up and freezing peppers, canning pears, tidying the house, and then visiting my grandparent-in-laws.

Oh! Wanted to ask. We have a mold and pest (spiders, mosquitos??, mice, centipede) problem in our farm house (90ish years old...mud basement) since we haven't stayed there in a few months. Anyone know what I can do about this?

MIL is no longer working and offered to keep it up for me and to watch Ds for me on the weekends so I can work on the house to get it back in order. As of now, my plan is to get mold test strips and see what kind it is. Then I plan to set off bug bombs and put out more mouse poison as we leave some weekend. Then wash ALL of the (too small baby and me) clothes and blankets we have in storage and put them in those airtight space bags to keep them pest free. Then I plan to clean out the back porch and get all the junk out of there. And depending on what kind of mold is in the house I plan on scrubbing down ALL the walls and floors with bleach water/disinfectant to kill it. Then I want to start getting MIL to keep a small fire going over there this winter and tidy it up through the week to make sure everything stays clean, dried out and dead. I have a small dehumidifier I used in my basement bedroom when I lived at home that I plan to run in the bathroom where a lot of the mold is. This spring I'm buying a bigger dehumidfier for the whole downstairs (upstairs seems mold free) and running it in the house this spring/summer/fall to keep the mold at bay.

Any suggestions on how to keep this stuff out for good? If the house sits empty for more than a week (we usually go every two weeks to stay in the winter), it gets like this. This is the first time I'm going to extreme measures tho...I'm just so sick of the pests. We typically don't use poisons or harmful sprays but I'm making an exception since I've tried most everything else. I want to be able to stay there and feel comfortable with staying.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #27
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Raising crops and babies. Since both calves were 5 weeks I'm going to guess twins as well. They said that you 'could' raise them for beef but preferred them to be pets. (For me to keep an animal though it has to be usefull. My American Bulldog may not seem like much help but she scares away any unwanted visitors since she looks a bit like a pit and barks/snarles at unknown men like she's going to tear them to shreds ) So sterile cows do me no good. So I'm happy I didn't buy them (tho I'm sure DH would have appreciated the beef, he RARELY gets it due to his size and cholesterol levels, and when he does get it I make sure it's grass fed. I'll have to see what we can do for pasture in the spring. My dad is going to cut the wood on our land this winter, he'll burn it next year and we'll have a free tree cutting service, win win since we do not have any sort of wood heat (yet, still hoping we can convert our propane fireplace that is unused to wood next summer, but we have 9 acres, so plenty of wood will be left as less than an acre is cleared.)

Dani: I feel your pain on injured kids NOT being on the 'to-do' list. ODD got sent home from school this afternoon as she fell while walkinng ON TOP of the monkey bars and landed with her crotch on a bar. She wanted to stay an finish the day (she always does when sick or hurt, she LOVES going to school. Basically that is the only reason I have yet to homeschool.)

Raising crops and babies: My older two 'could' help. ODD stayed up till 11 last x-mas helping peel apples for pies etc but she was on vacation. Right now they get on the bus st 6:45 am and off the bus at 3:45 pm and have a snack, then 2 hours of parent assisted homework (I make dinner while they read to me), by the time dinner is done they 'may' have time for a shower, shower night usually go past bedtime and if they did have a little spare time before bed they have other chores like putting away dishes or thier laundry. DD#2 has to feed and lock up the chickens for the night (right now that's with a flashlight since it gets dark by 6). So it'll be me processing the apples.

DD#3 had a fever last nite (and in my lap all nite) so no processing apples then, will do after dinner tonite tho. Plan on freezing some already mixed with sugar/cinnamon etc for pies/crips, some died apples for muffins, and tomorrow during the day I'll can applesauce and then I'll use all the peelings and cores to make pectin.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:33 PM   #28
aiyana4969
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Today, we went to town and bought the .22 Maine has no waiting period for any legal gun (even hand guns), they just have to call the FBI and they say yes. They made it sound like it was such and awesome thing contacting the FBI. Dh and I wanted to laugh. We've been thru FBI investigations before for security clearances. I wanted to tell them if 'Agent Booth' walked in then I'd be impressed (and need a bucket for the ) but I just smiled and nodded.

Shot a couple rounds when we got home but had to go get ODD and Dh had to go to work. So right now we are keeping it in the trash closet, it has a chain that goes through the barrel out the magazine hole for a safety lock, we hang it by that and then on the tippy top shelf is the loaded magazine and on a hidden hook is the lock key. It's all quite accessable to a knowing adult (if you can figure out the childproof handle on the door, little rascal of an almost 3yo has always needed to be kept out of that closet.)

It won't be immediatly ready to shoot but doesn't take long to get it that way. This eve I think I'm going to hang the dead chicken from a tree so I can keep an eye out while doing apples.

Ok, gotta get back to helping kids with homework. *sigh* as much as I have to do WITH them I might as well homeschool I suppose.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiyana4969 View Post

Ok, gotta get back to helping kids with homework. *sigh* as much as I have to do WITH them I might as well homeschool I suppose.
haha. That was one of my arguments to homeschool when discussing it with DH. By the time I would get the kids dressed, take to school, drop off, volunteer (because I know I would be a volunteer parent), pick them up, etc... I could have a few hours of teaching in and be done for the day. The drive times alone (loading up 4 carseated children, mind you) add up too! Plus I am not a believer in homework until they get to high school and papers come into play. If kids are spending 7 hours in school, why should they come home and do more school? It frustrates me. I want for my children to help Papa, do chores, have free time to explore and play and practice hobbies. Not come home, do homework, eat supper, shower, go to bed. I get Captain Obvious' homeschooling done in 60-70 minutes (depending on crafts or experiments) and we aren't too frazzled to do gymnastics, library/park day, and his therapies (though it is only K... if he went to public school he would be in all day kindergarten 5 days a week). I get a little overwhelmed at the thought of teaching all 4 kids, but I need to take it one child at a time! Don't borrow trouble, you know?
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM   #30
Mysweetseven
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I'm kind of excited that DH and I have actually came up with a different plan to get back to the country. We have been looking for quite some time for an acreage but the problem is that some farm ground around here has been selling for in upwords of $10,000 an acre--which is out of my price range. So we are instead going to look at timberland with a water source which is much more affordable and do everything piece by piece. We have been digging out of debt for the last 5 years and after this week our vehicles will officially be paid off--happy dance--so we will take that money and start putting it directly to that fund. We are hoping to take our time and keep everything as off the grid as possible....exciting to think about for me.

raisingcropsandbabies--I have days where I still get overwhelmed trying to HS 3 with the youngest tagging along and we are still trying to find our "groove" for this year, but if you take it one day at a time it will be fine I have no doubts you'll be fine HSing 4!
Mysweetseven is offline   Reply With Quote