Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #11
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Families of 7 - what do you drive?

We have a grand caravan as well - and I sure hope it'll fit us all in the spring!

My kids are older than yours, so car seats are much different for us I'm sure. We will (likely, depending on what fits best where) have DD (in seat belt), DS3 (Radian, will be FF at that point) in the rear row, and DS1 or 2 (both boosters). Then DS1 or 2 (whoever isn't in the rear) (again, booster) in one middle seat, Babe (infant seat, likely) in the other middle seat.

With younger kids, and thus more carseats, it would be a matter of puzzling and seeing what would fit next to what, kwim? A couple Radians might be necessary, possibly 3, for the rear row - but even if you had to buy 3 new seats, that's going to be cheaper than a new vehicle, kwim?

Advertisement

canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
We have a grand caravan as well - and I sure hope it'll fit us all in the spring!

My kids are older than yours, so car seats are much different for us I'm sure. We will (likely, depending on what fits best where) have DD (in seat belt), DS3 (Radian, will be FF at that point) in the rear row, and DS1 or 2 (both boosters). Then DS1 or 2 (whoever isn't in the rear) (again, booster) in one middle seat, Babe (infant seat, likely) in the other middle seat.

With younger kids, and thus more carseats, it would be a matter of puzzling and seeing what would fit next to what, kwim? A couple Radians might be necessary, possibly 3, for the rear row - but even if you had to buy 3 new seats, that's going to be cheaper than a new vehicle, kwim?

Yeah my kids are tiny for there age so they will be in carseats for awhile yet. I am going to look into car seats that will fit three in a row.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

We bought a used Ford E150. It was used as a shuttle bus for a corporation. It was low mileage and no frills, which I love. We also loved the cost, which was about $35,000 less than a full convsersion van.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #14
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

One more thing, look on ebay. We found our's there - it was in Denver and we are in Michigan. We paid a hauler to put it on a truck and deliver it to us for $500 bucks. Totally worth it!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #15
whitneywalters
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found a few carseats that would work. I would rather stick with the van we have and use it till it dies lol

I am not sure when we would have another. Probably in a couple years.
whitneywalters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:50 AM   #16
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
I found a few carseats that would work. I would rather stick with the van we have and use it till it dies lol

I am not sure when we would have another. Probably in a couple years.
Good idea! I loved my previous ride, but had to go bigger. I'll be in the bus till it dies, too.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Janelle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitneywalters View Post
How are you getting all the carseats in?
My kids are a bit older than yours: My almost 10 yo isn't in a booster anymore, she is going in one of the captains chairs in the middle row, baby will go in the other captains chair in the middle. DD2 (7 yo) will be in the back row drivers side in her booster (graco turbo booster), DS1 (5 yo) will be in either his Trufit or a booster by then on the passenger side back row. DS2 (3 yo) will be in the middle in what ever car seat will fit (he is currently in an Evenflo Triumph, but we might have to go w/ a Radian)...this is how I currently have it figured..not sure if it will work, I am sure we will have to tweak it a bit, an might have to buy a different car seat or 2 to make it work, but I am sure there is an option
Old 10-11-2012, 03:21 PM   #18
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

We have a Ford Flex, it seats 7. You can do 4 car seats comfortably in it.
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:55 AM   #19
Free Thinker
Registered Users
seller
seller

A Suburban w/ captains chairs, no one else can fit Back row holds 3 (Radian, Frontier, and Oldest DD in nothing), captains chairs are 7 year old in booster, baby rear-facing. We have plenty of cargo room, with a van there was not enough room to haul groceries. If you were not using all the seats, you might have some room, but we felt the suburban had a lot more cargo room, and we often haul large amounts of stuff for our business.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Only a family of soon to be 5 but we have family who live with us so that adds more butts to seats! We have a Town and Country that seats 7 which is fine for now. The Honda Odyssey and Toyota Sienna can seat 8 if you are looking for just a little more room but not a huge 12 or 15 passenger van. We almost bought one just for the extra seat but they cost so much more used then our Town and Country. If we have another baby after this one I want to upgrade