Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
joyous
Registered Users
Formerly: erika375
seller
seller

I had no idea. I think it's insane and scary. Even if you fill out a form, how do you know your child is not being hit? The mama in the other post said she opted out and her DD was still paddled twice. How is this okay? What if a teacher is angry one day and wants to take it out on a child? :shudder:

I wonder if there are any rules about gender, like a male spanking a female. I mean, if they're not going to make it illegal (which it should be), there should definitely be guidelines about that.

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #22
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous View Post
I had no idea. I think it's insane and scary. Even if you fill out a form, how do you know your child is not being hit? The mama in the other post said she opted out and her DD was still paddled twice. How is this okay? What if a teacher is angry one day and wants to take it out on a child? :shudder:

I wonder if there are any rules about gender, like a male spanking a female. I mean, if they're not going to make it illegal (which it should be), there should definitely be guidelines about that.
Check out the article I posted. There are SOME schools that have that guideline, but it's not required, and even in that school, the male vice principal did it anyway.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #23
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Here, there are rules about gender. I was always paddled by a female, males by males. And like I said in my first post, the 7 districts that I am familiar with require the parent to be present. They will not paddle without a parent there.

I have heard horror stories about the rules not being followed, too, but I'm confident that my child's school will follow procedure. If I weren't, he wouldn't be there. There are always extreme stories to be found on every topic. I don't believe it's anywhere close to the norm in my area.
L J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #24
Icryinbaseball
Registered Users

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

Arkansas is #4 why does that not surprise me
Icryinbaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #25
sh0rtchica
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Wow I had no idea. Appears it was made illegal in my state a long time ago, which is why I've never heard of that. I would not be ok with that at all. Even a little.
sh0rtchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #26
suthrnmomto3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Our rulebook states if paddling is needed after other stargeties are tried then 2 people must be present but teacher can paddle and if get into trouble again then principal can paddle...no gender requirements in rules. My oldest daughter has been paddled by male and femal she lives with my mom. Teachers here do as they wish...as does the principal. Ex: iss teacher has ripped earrings out of oldest daughters ears bc she said she was playing with them, iss teacher took another childs barettes and threw them in garbage, principal kicked one child off bus bc she was defending herself against 4 football players in 7th grade (she was in 4th grade) and the boys didn't get into trouble at all...he says the boys were just being boys...I bet it had to do with one being the quarterback...
Old 10-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #27
mayliz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I knew it was still being done in our state but each school district makes up its own rules, and they stopped in ours a long time ago, I think two decades ago. I was never paddled but my brother was. He would rather that over having the principal send a letter home to my parents. Truth is, it would've been much worse for him if my parents found out. A quick paddle was all he ever got and he still laughs about it now, but my father would've been less, um, forgiving.

IMO - I hated it then and hate it now. Just the thought of someone spanking my child and not telling me about it sends chills up my spine. I just found it interesting that my brother would always think it was funny while I found it despicable.

Last edited by mayliz; 10-11-2012 at 01:10 PM.
mayliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:42 PM   #28
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's not legal here, and I'm glad. I do not agree with spanking and would never allow a teacher or anyone to spank my child, JMO.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #29
Scarlett's mommy
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
I agree with this post.

I think it serves a purpose. Esp for those ridiculous kids that get so out of control - throwing furniture, screaming, biting, attacking teachers and counselors - I bet *some* of those kids are kept in check knowing they might get paddled.

In a perfect world, all kids would listen easily, all parents would agree on how to discipline every child, and no one would ignore bad behavior and raise a monster... but this is reality, and unfortunately, not every kid responds to mild discipline, not every family knows how to be consistent with discipline, and sadly, some kids are completely ignored and allowed to become completely uncontrollable with no respect for any authority figure.

We do spank when the kids get ridiculous and out of control and there is no other way to get through to them, after we've tried every other method. I refuse to let my kid turn into a raging maniac throwing things, hitting people, pushing over furniture, etc. This is what some kids ARE DOING and the poor teachers and staff are at a total loss... they have to stand and helplessly watch. If they restrain the kid, they get in trouble for touching them and suddenly a parent is suing the school board. If they call the cops, people freak out that they're being outrageous. I think if they had permission to paddle a kid in that situation, they would be able to get the situation under control quickly, with minor disruption to everyone else, and return to normal, with less of a threat to teachers and staff, and less things getting damaged.

I think it's easy to get all up in arms about it when you forget the fact that teachers and staff really have very little they can do to stop an out of control kid who really does NOT care about suspension, grades, privileges being taken, etc.

if a child is that out of control do you really think a paddling is going to take place with out someone restraining them they arent just going to say ok kid you misbehaving stop throwing that desk and chair and bend over so we can hit you. that makes no sense.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:38 PM   #30
waterisntsomething
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthrnmomto3 View Post
Our rulebook states if paddling is needed after other stargeties are tried then 2 people must be present but teacher can paddle and if get into trouble again then principal can paddle...no gender requirements in rules. My oldest daughter has been paddled by male and femal she lives with my mom. Teachers here do as they wish...as does the principal. Ex: iss teacher has ripped earrings out of oldest daughters ears bc she said she was playing with them, iss teacher took another childs barettes and threw them in garbage, principal kicked one child off bus bc she was defending herself against 4 football players in 7th grade (she was in 4th grade) and the boys didn't get into trouble at all...he says the boys were just being boys...I bet it had to do with one being the quarterback...
That is so so sad.
And my vintage shop! http://www.etsy.com/shop/usedbutnotabused
waterisntsomething is offline   Reply With Quote