Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #1
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Valerian root and kids??

My 4 yo suffers from severe Insomnia. She is up very late every night, and gets so frustrated that she cant sleep. she tosses and turns all night.
Well I sometimes take valarian root to help me sleep. and it works like dream.
So I am wondering form you all knowing herbal mommas, is this safe for kids. she is 40 lbs and 4 1/2 years old. I want to give her just like a 3rd of a capsul, but i am afraid..

Anyone know

Advertisement

Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM   #2
lararum
Banned

Re: Valerian root and kids??

One of my herbal has a specific kids section, and there is a hyperactivity tincture that has valerian in it. The only side effect I know of with valerian is stomach cramping if you take too much of it.
I've used it off and on for years for insomnia, and never had that problem. I've always used tincture though. It absorbs quicker than capsules, and would be easier for her to take diluted in juice. I'm sure a 3rd of a capsule would not harm her. How were you going to dose her with it?
Have you tried chamomile? That is very safe, and no worries with it. You can get homeopathic tablets, we use those all the time. My dd thinks it's candy.
You can use tea too, but some kids won't drink that. If you use the tablets you can give her one every 5 minutes until she is sleepy. They have no side effects.
Good luck!
lararum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 09:12 PM   #3
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I dont have any personal experience with valarian root and kids... I did give it to my dog for many years before bed though

Celeste often has a terrible time falling asleep too. Many nights she takes melatonin. I know its safe and she has been taking it since she was about 3. In fact after about a year of taking it she got into a better sleep pattern and needs it less often as time goes by. Now I would say she takes it about 30% of the time where she needed it every night at first.

Melatonin comes in 1 or 3 mg pills. We do half of the one mg, Celeste wieghs 46 lbs. You could probably try with 1/4 and see how it works. Her dr told us we could even give the 3mg but that scares me!

Good luck
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #4
nothing_butt_cloth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks.
I was thinking of putting opening the capsule and putting it in juice. She take a kiddie stool softener this way and it workds great. So i figure on the really restless nights, (like tonight) i could give her a bit.

I think i will try it, then I will get melatonin in a week after I pay bills .. AGAIN.. LOL

Thanks mamas
Old 07-12-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
keegans_mommy
I had the CD wagon impounded!
seller

My Mood:

Is she on any medications? Some meds you cannot take valerian root with.

I have given Tiffany valerian for her sleep issues before and started that when she was no more than 50lbs. Our naturopath has told me it's ok too.

to her! I am typing this while having insomnia tonight. Coincidentally, I just took my beloved Valerian to help me sleep. ugh, it's frustrating!