Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cheap Non-Handmade Gifts That Don't Look Cheap

Homemade marshmallows are not too difficult to make, but are very impressive, and unusual. Plus they are SUPER expensive in stores like Williams Sonoma, so if you compare to buying them, you're getting what would be an expensive gift for pretty cheap.

Advertisement

jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Today Barnes & Noble had some random gifts on clearance for 75% off. BPA-free light-up rubber ducks (guess what autocorrect tried to make that say? ), Trumpette-style baby socks, fun stuff IMO, for $4-7.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
Ready2Bmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
Homemade marshmallows are not too difficult to make, but are very impressive, and unusual. Plus they are SUPER expensive in stores like Williams Sonoma, so if you compare to buying them, you're getting what would be an expensive gift for pretty cheap.
Do tell!
Hadley, proud to be a wife to Wes (5/26/07), Catholic, natural birthing, BFing, Bedsharing, BWing, ERFing, WOHM, Master's student graduate, and mama to my loves, Emmitt(8/17/09) & Ellen Kate (9/22/11)
Adding a new little snow baby to our family Jan 2015
Help me earn more space on Dropbox!!
Ready2Bmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #24
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Bmommy View Post
Do tell!
I use Martha Stewart's recipe from Oprah. If you want to be fancy you can combine it with hot chocolate on a stick.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #25
drabekgirl
Registered Users

I got 5 of my nieces and nephews each a pair of $4 goggles and a family pass to a local pool for each family price, $20 my boss through in the passes for free!

CBD (Christian book distributors) has a $10 grab box for both adult and kids. I've bought them in the past and used all 10 items in each box for gifts depending on the interests of each person or age. In fact last year the amount spent on the 1 family exchange was $30 while the amount it was worth was well over $100 as each family member(all 6) got a little something. Btw if you put something in your cart and than put it back you might see that item in your grab box.

One year I made each family on DH's side a basket with dog treats in a jar and than a small dog toy with dog print fabric (they sew). They all have dogs so it worked out great and it was inexpensive with plenty of recipes online.

for a school teachers I've done home made pancake mix with dried blueberries in it in a jar. They used it in the spring when they tasted the maple syrup one of the students brought in.

For MIL we've done baskets full of specialty bulk food items that she enjoys like dried fruits, and vegetables that she normally wouldn't buy. Course this is also the lady who just dissed my suppers this week (sloppy joes with half burger and half lentils and hamburgers with beans mixed in) and has told me not to give her certain kinds of foods b/c they don't taste good so who knows if she actually ate much of it.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #26
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

What about the Kohl's cares book and stuffed animal sets? They have Toto's with wizard of Oz books and velveteen rabbit sets for $5-10.

Also what about peanut butter play dough and a new cookie cutter? Make a huge batch and divide it out into mason jars, tie a ribbon in with the cookie cutter.
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:51 AM   #27
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

For friends kids this year for all the birthdays we did "tub toys" theme...
$1 expandable washcloth (dollar tree)
$1 pack of glow sticks (awesome in a dark bathroom at night)
$1 can of shaving cream (awesome for the kids to make shapes etc with)
Walmart for the rest: bubble bath, $1 pack of elmo bath color tablets, bathtub crayons or paints etc... We didn't do actual toys though so that most of these were things that would be used up.

Add in a full sized bath towel if budget allows.

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:52 AM   #28
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Last year we got a pancake gift basket...
a handful of different recipes
a package of pumpkin pancake mix
syrup
blueberry syrup

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Not exactly the same, but we let DD take her shopping list and go to Dollar Tree and buy each person one item. While the gifts were cheap and looked cheap the stories behind them were hilarious. For instance, she got each of her 20 something year old aunts matching make up mirrors, so that they wouldn't be jealous of each other. She got her grandmama some paper dolls, so that she would have toys to play with when DDs not there. She got her cousins candy because...this kind must be really really good-mom and dad never let me eat it...
Old 10-12-2012, 10:13 AM   #30
lovebugsmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
I use Martha Stewart's recipe from Oprah. If you want to be fancy you can combine it with hot chocolate on a stick.
I love that idea! I am going to make the hot chocolate on a stick for our gift exchange this year.
lovebugsmama is offline   Reply With Quote