Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #31
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What do you do when cars speed down your street?

Originally Posted by elizabeth.scalf View Post
I'm not sure how you could do it but I was thinking adding speed bumps. Those huge kinds where you total your car if you hit them going more than 15 mph.
My neighbors have been hounding the police and the city for literally YEARS trying to get speed bumps put in on our street. The city keeps saying that if they put speed bumps on OUR street then EVERYONE will want them, and they can't afford to put speed bumps in everywhere.

Mom to 2007 and 2010.
Swimmingly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #32
Registered Users
My Mood:

Curse. I don't let my kids play out front. The yard is too small and is desert landscaped. Our HOA gives out safety cones that say "slow down children playing", and our neighbors always put theirs out about 3-5 feet into the street when their kids are playing out front. They have a yard though and older boys that play catch in the street.
"Why should I allow that same God to tell me how to raise my kids, who had to drown His own?" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll
Samandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #33
Registered Users
My Mood:
I yell slow down and they do we also live in a town of less than 500 people and w live right across from the park people rarely speed down my street though
SAHM and full time student, Breastfeeding, baby wearing, no longer vaxing, baby food making, co sleeping, helecopter mom to DS 1-5-10, and DD in heaven 2-18-09.

My swagbucks
firstimemommy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #34
Registered Users
My Mood:
Originally Posted by keonli
Are you in America? Contact your district's councilman, address your concerns with him/her, and ask about the city/town adding a SLOW CHILDREN AT PLAY sign or something somewhere on the street.
This is a good idea IN THEORY. If they don't pay attention to speed signs they aren't going to pay attention to this type of sign either
CarrieMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #35
Registered Users

The speed limit on our road is 25, but unfortunately it can be used as a way to avoid 2 red lights to get to a highway. Cars are always speeding. After they pass my house they go down a very steep hill and suddenly hit a stop sign. People are ALWAYS running that stop sign. At the stop sign is a park and football field and is very high traffic. It is always so dangerous.

My solution is just to stay in the backyard. I wish we had a fence so we could actually block off the front yard. The only time we go to the front is to use sidewalk chalk. When we're doing that I am right there with them and wouldn't take my eyes off either one for even a second.
Brooke789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #36
Registered Users
I have never run into this issue at home, we live on a cul de sac off of two dead ends. So literally there is one way in and one way out.

But. I have this issue in PARKING LOTS. Usually I say "slow down please!" very loud. They usually get the hint.

sent from my iPhone. excuse all typos
NiNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #37
Registered Users
My Mood:

Luckily we dont' have this problem on my road, but if we did I woudl be calling the police. If they're breaking the law then they shouldn't be getting away with it. If they continued I would right my city and go to council meetings. I would also yell at them and probably would forget my filter "what the hell! Can't you see there are children in these yards! Slow down!".
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #38
Registered Users

So I have three young kids, and I had a neighbor, while walking her dogs, yell at me to slow down as I was driving my two older kids to school. it has happened twice now. This is the first time I've lived in a subdivision. The speed limit is 25 and I was probably going 27-28 both times she yelled. I suppose I was technically breaking the law, but I feel her actions were pretty barbaric. I'm used to a more urban setting and city driving where people (including small children) keep out of the street. In subdivisions people treat the street like an extension of their yard. I need to get used to that and slow down I guess. Either way, I feel like letting kids play or go into the street sets a bad precedent. It doesn't matter if I'm going 28 or 24. If your kid runs out as I'm driving by, he/she may get hurt.
Lauren1041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:22 AM   #39
Registered Users
My Mood:

Roll my eyes? LOL

I live on a main road, the speed limit is 30 or 35...I'm sure cars go faster than that. I just teach my kids to stay out of the road. I grew up in a house off a major state highway, cars went 60mph+...
Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #40
Registered Users
We have old speed bumps and I am just inside the start of a school zone. People speed between the bumps and ignore the school zone. We don't really play out front, but I have a "no crossing the sidewalk rule" for my 18 month old. She doesn't really get it. But I stand on the side walk and direct her back into the yard. Seriously, I just shepherd her back into our yard.

I'm of the opinion that streets are made for cars, not people. No playing in the street. No even walking BY the street. A little silly, but the speed bumps and curve of our street has gotten two speeding cars into my neighbors house and fence and one into the big oak tree in my front yard (before we lived there). It's not really others jobs to watch out for our kids on a road.

I'm sorry the man was rude and not following the law. I agree to call the police with his license plate number!
Sara wifey to Chad and momma to Lily (4/11)

Sunny due in October!

We're a breastfeedin', babywearin', vax delayin', un-circumcisin', cloth diaperin', bedsharin', home birthin', atheist family from Texas!
Sarawithouth is offline   Reply With Quote