Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
That's frustrating! I'm sorry your post was responded to like that when you are just trying to help.

Over the last few years I have mellowed to live and let live with most things.
I don't generally share my strong opinions unless asked and as such don't post parenting stuff ( mommy war) or other highly controversial subjects on fb. Just not worth it to me.

For the same token I don't comment on stuff I don't agree with.
If its really bad ( I once saw a ff picture of a 6 month old) then I send a polite private message worded as non offensively as possible and hope for the best. (((hugs)))

Advertisement

mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #12
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: argh!!!! some people!!!!

I'd be unfriending some people thanks for the reminder to post about coat compression
Super crunchy, atheist, vegetarian, liberal WOH and student mama to 4 wonderful, smart homeschooling kids Wesley 16, Seth 9, Pandora Moonlilly 5 and Nevermore Stargazer 2, married to my awesome sahd artist hubby and partner to my amazing writer/techy boyfriend
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Sadly she was actually my maid of honor ten yrs ago. She actually posted that as her own status. But that bothers me worse. She was clearly addressing my status, so I feel like she didn't want me to see it. I'd rather it be directly to me kwim?

Sent from my droid
Yeah, I'm not sure which is worse! Posting it as her own status is so totally passive-aggressive...
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I tried to discuss this at a "car seat safety" meet with our MOTS (moms of tots) group a couple years ago. Another mom, who says she knows a lot about car seats, basically said I was crazy - both about not wearing coats in car seats and about extended rear facing. She said that our insurance (public insurance, they have "car seat technicians"... but they're going off old info) doesn't recommend those things, so I must be wrong. Even though I had car seat info from both that same insurance and from the government of Canada's transportation department that talked about those very things.
And never mind that the car seat manuals themselves ALL talk about not bundling baby up in heavy/thick coats.

The argument the mothers gave, over and over, was that it's just too cold here to expect that to be safe, and that obviously the people recommending it don't live here.
Yes. It is cold here. But we haven't had coats on our kids in their seats for years now, and they're all just fine - we buckle up, and they pull their jacket on like a blanket.
They also argued that in an accident, you'd have to be wearing your coat, at least, to be safe in the cold.

One mom told me that she always has her daughter in snow pants and her jacket when it's cold - then buckled in her seat!? It would be SO loose!
I talked to them about compression of the coats, and asked if they noticed how much they had to adjust the straps with/without coats - they all said they noticed that, but refused to acknowledge that the clothing would ever compress and "make" the straps that loose. Again
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
nursenmom
Registered Users
seller
seller

That's so annoying, these are cut and dry issues. Every parent has the right the make their own decisions but you can't deny the statistics. I think quite often parents make decisions that are more convenient and then try to justify it as the "best decision for their family" when they really just do it because it's easier.
nursenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 PM   #16
jjordan
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
That's so annoying, these are cut and dry issues. Every parent has the right the make their own decisions but you can't deny the statistics. I think quite often parents make decisions that are more convenient and then try to justify it as the "best decision for their family" when they really just do it because it's easier.
Can I get an AMEN?!? I absolutely agree. As long as you say the magic words, "it's the best decision for our family," then anyone who is critical in the least is obviously an uncaring, unfeeling jerk. There are many parenting decisions that truly do come down to a personal choice of what is best for a particular family, but many of the car seat decisions are simply not that way. It is never best for a child to be riding unsafely just because the parents can't be bothered to listen to wise advice on how to safely restrain their child.
jjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #17
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

in the UK they had sleep sacks with zippers so you could run the straps through and zip it up around, was a genius idea, I wonder if they have them in the USA/Canada?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:03 PM   #18
Kirsie
Registered Users
Formerly: Kir***m
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
I posted this status to my fbit was supposed to be attached to a pic, but the pic never loaded.)
Winter carseat reminder: chest clips at armpit level and coats are NOT safe in a carseat. put baby in seat in clothes only. Tighten straps until you cannot pinch any slack in the strap. If you have to loosen the straps to get them in with their coat on its too bulky! The coat will compress in an accident and the seat will not hold baby properly! Keep babies safe this winter! Rear facing til at least 2!

well guess what shows up on my feed? a "friend, "C" post that reads

This is why I dislike Facebook....because I read other people's posts and since I've gotten more and more opinionated with every year that passes, I get irritated. When it's cold out I'm not going to put my daughter in the carseat without a coat. It's cold, we wear coats for a reason. Secondly, I'm not leaving her rear facing until she's two. Her legs would be so curled up its ridiculous. It's not a law, it's a recommendation. Just because I don't follow the recommendation doesn't mean I'm not keeping my daughter safe. Lol this is why I keep deleting people off of Facebook. I don't care to read people preaching on topics they like to think they are experts on. Whew....now I feel better.

Like .

3 people like this..

D This brought a smile to my face

about an hour ago via mobile Like 1..

D We are all individuals. What's best for one child isn't necessarily best for another. That is why we as their parents get to decide what is best for our little one

53 minutes ago via mobile Like 2..

C I'm sorry but with the leg room available in a rear facing carseat, if you had them like that until age two, they might as well sit Indian style.

50 minutes ago via mobile Like..

DLOL

48 minutes ago via mobile Like..

C How's that safe? So impact in an accident can snap their legs. I know....I'm ranting and have rage issues right now.

46 minutes ago via mobile Like..

D It is okay. We all have our days.

45 minutes ago via mobile Like..

C It's just my inner self

42 minutes ago via mobile Like 1..

S LoL true dat LoL

35 minutes ago via mobile Like..

Lora A rear facing child is 5x less likely to have a spinal cord injury. Id much rather have a broken leg

11 minutes ago via mobile Like..

C Well my pediatrician doesn't seem to think so....and since he went to medical school that technically makes him an expert on my daughter's safety. They also say its a recommendation that you're in a booster until 4 ft 9 ....guess there's adults that should be in boosters still too. They can make recommendations until they're blue in the face and then they'll decide they were wrong next year.

7 minutes ago via mobile Like..

D If you see someone has clearly stated others posting their opinions about all this why would you go right under that status and comment...I would think an adult could have respect for the persons frustration and just keep their mouth shut.

2 minutes ago via mobile Like..

Lora Parks i have more concern for kids safety than offending people. not my opinions. Facts. HUndreds of studies, not just what i think is cool

a few seconds ago Like
No, the adult thing to do apparently is create a passive aggressive response on your own page. *face palm*
Old 10-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nursenmom View Post
Yup. The last time someone posted something like that on one of my posts on facebook I made some snarky remark about how I hadn't been aware that the laws of physics change from one family to another. This isn't a choice like starting solids at 6 months or 7 months or to formula or breastfeed, where one choice might be better but either choice is unlikely to harm the child. It's a certainty that if there's a crash, their child WILL get hurt or killed.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 12:20 PM   #20
Myles_104
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post

I tried to discuss this at a "car seat safety" meet with our MOTS (moms of tots) group a couple years ago. Another mom, who says she knows a lot about car seats, basically said I was crazy - both about not wearing coats in car seats and about extended rear facing. She said that our insurance (public insurance, they have "car seat technicians"... but they're going off old info) doesn't recommend those things, so I must be wrong. Even though I had car seat info from both that same insurance and from the government of Canada's transportation department that talked about those very things.
And never mind that the car seat manuals themselves ALL talk about not bundling baby up in heavy/thick coats.

The argument the mothers gave, over and over, was that it's just too cold here to expect that to be safe, and that obviously the people recommending it don't live here.
Yes. It is cold here. But we haven't had coats on our kids in their seats for years now, and they're all just fine - we buckle up, and they pull their jacket on like a blanket.
They also argued that in an accident, you'd have to be wearing your coat, at least, to be safe in the cold.

One mom told me that she always has her daughter in snow pants and her jacket when it's cold - then buckled in her seat!? It would be SO loose!
I talked to them about compression of the coats, and asked if they noticed how much they had to adjust the straps with/without coats - they all said they noticed that, but refused to acknowledge that the clothing would ever compress and "make" the straps that loose. Again
Ok, I live in the same place, and get the same thing. I also get "if you DO get in a crash and your kids survive (due to proper buckling) and you get hurt, they will die of exposure anyway."
Really. ITs so terrible. but then again, I always make sure my kids have their jackets on backwards (arms in the sleeves) after we buckle. Even at -50*C I would hope someone would stop before the warm car cooled enough for the kids to die of exposure.
I also find I can get them in the seats with snow pants without adjusting the straps.
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote