Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:32 PM   #31
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett's mommy View Post
if a child is that out of control do you really think a paddling is going to take place with out someone restraining them they arent just going to say ok kid you misbehaving stop throwing that desk and chair and bend over so we can hit you. that makes no sense.
no, definitely not. But I'm guessing the parents who sign the release to allow their kids to be punished in this manner know that it will probably require an adult restraining them, and are okay with that.

I'm not saying this is a necessary thing for all kids, or that it is a good idea at all.

I'm just saying that I can see that it serves a purpose.

Also, all the posters who are concerned about some staff member having a f*tish and spanking in a s*xual manner.... these people would still be having these same issues AND be around your kids anyway. Paddling them or not.

Advertisement

Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #32
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: S/O Am I the only one that had no idea spanking was still allowed in some states?

I had absolutely no idea it was allowed anymore, and I'm in Indiana which is apparently is still legal in. I don't know about IPS (the public school system, mostly inner city) but the township public schools don't spank AFAIK. They definitely didn't when I was in elementary school 20+ years ago and I highly doubt they have started since then.

I started school in Georgia, where I was born, and they did have a paddle they spanked kids with. I don't know what the rules about it were, but I mentioned to my mom years ago about it and she said she had no idea they did that. So I don't know if she just couldn't remember it or if she really had no idea that it happened. I remember VERY well walking to the principals office one day and was threatened with a spanking, but I wasn't spanked that day. I don't remember ever being spanked but I started at 5 so it's possible I just can't remember if I was. I'm sure I would if it was frequent.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-11-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #33
VinhThiMom
Vinh Thi Designs
Formerly: chrisnsteph1022
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyous View Post
I had no idea. I think it's insane and scary. Even if you fill out a form, how do you know your child is not being hit? The mama in the other post said she opted out and her DD was still paddled twice. How is this okay? What if a teacher is angry one day and wants to take it out on a child? :shudder:
Then I would sue the hell out of the school.

Yes, I knew it was legal, practiced in our school as a last resort and I opted out. If it comes to the point of paddling, I'm required to come get my child immediately. I trust them to follow this because they know how much trouble they'd be in if it they didn't have my consent (which they don't).

VinhThiMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
AnimalHouse
Registered Users
Formerly: mama***ms
seller
seller

My Mood:
It's legal in my state (Georgia), but I've never heard of it happening. DS1 attends a private SDA school, and paddling/spanking isn't part of their discipline plan. All of our friends' kids attend public school (grades range from preK-6th), and I've never heard any of them talk about it.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post

Also, all the posters who are concerned about some staff member having a f*tish and spanking in a s*xual manner.... these people would still be having these same issues AND be around your kids anyway. Paddling them or not.
You can never weed out every sexual predator, but that doesnt mean we should give them an excuse to act on it with no consequence. It opens doors, and not just sexual ones....like i said, anger escalates quickly for some....its just not a necessary risk to take. The benefits that you see most certainly do not outweigh the risks.

Im not one who has hang ups about stranger danger and worries about sexual predators everywhere they go, but this is just completely unnecessary and opens up such obvious doors to legalized abuse that it seems obvious to me that its wrong. Its not something that is an unsubstantiated worry....its an obvious worry.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #36
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni247 View Post
You can never weed out every sexual predator, but that doesnt mean we should give them an excuse to act on it with no consequence. It opens doors, and not just sexual ones....like i said, anger escalates quickly for some....its just not a necessary risk to take. The benefits that you see most certainly do not outweigh the risks.

Im not one who has hang ups about stranger danger and worries about sexual predators everywhere they go, but this is just completely unnecessary and opens up such obvious doors to legalized abuse that it seems obvious to me that its wrong. Its not something that is an unsubstantiated worry....its an obvious worry.

I understand exactly what your opinion is. I just have a different view. and that's ok.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #37
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Its legal here, but our school board has a policy against it. It was done in Indianapolis Public Schools a couple years ago by the book (someone else did it, it was witnessed, and parents were notified beforehand) and people freaked out, so even IPS has it against their policy now.

I see it as a tool of last resort, and if my own children were that out of control at school, I'd have no problem with it as long as it is administered by someone unrelated to the situation, and witnessed by another adult.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-11-2012 at 09:30 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:30 PM   #38
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Family View Post
For the people that live in a state where it is legal, is it only in private schools? I wonder if your (general you) child goes to a school where spanking is practiced, you could opt your child out of it?
Yes you can opt out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
I don't spank my child. But, if my child needed to be spanked at school, she'd catch so much crap from me at home, her little world would be turned upside down. I expected nearly perfect behavior from her outside the home. She never once even had to change her card from green to yellow. (she would have been crushed)

Seriously bad behavior at school is not acceptable to me at home.

A child with special needs would probably not be disciplined the same way as a kid with problem behavior. A child who purposely makes a really bad choice can suffer the consequences that come with it.

Cops are a consequence of breaking laws as an adult. I'd rather my child learn the hard way in school than out in the world.
All of the bold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola View Post
Its legal here, but our school board has a policy against it. It was done in Indianapolis Public Schools a couple years ago by the book (someone else did it, it was witnessed, and parents were notified beforehand) and people freaked out, so even IPS has it against their policy now.

I see it as a tool of last resort, and if my own children were that out of control at school, I'd have no problem with it as long as it is administered by someone unrelated to the situation, and witnessed by another adult.

It is legal here and it is practiced in our school district. If my children went to public school I would check the box that allowed it. I'm sorry but if my child is acting in such a manner that the school feels the need to discipline them than so be it. The paddling they received at school would be the LEAST of their problems when they got home.

Last edited by AbbieJack; 10-11-2012 at 10:32 PM.
AbbieJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:11 PM   #39
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It is legal here and I was aware of it. I do not remember it ever being used when I was growing up, even on worse case scenario kids (I had friends who earned worse case scenario status and I came pretty close as a teen). I just looked it up and sure enough our district does not use corporal punishment. They use suspension (in or our of school), expulsion, calling authorities, and in some cases restraints (usually only when necessary with SN kids with IEP's in place for the use) as their behavioral protocol. My friend teaches in a different district and they do not use corporal punishment either, they are a Love and Logic district and have meetings and workshops on discipline style. My kids are homeschooled so I don't worry about it too much but when my oldest attended a local charter school I am fairly certain they did not paddle either. Some districts still may but you can usually opt out.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:39 PM   #40
TexasHeatherLynn
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Family View Post
For the people that live in a state where it is legal, is it only in private schools? I wonder if your (general you) child goes to a school where spanking is practiced, you could opt your child out of it?
I didn't read the whole thread, but here spanking is allowed in school (and practiced often). You have to consent to it though, and specify the conditions. It is also legal to spank your child here at home or out in public, as long as there are no bruises or whelps.

Not taking a stance on it, just stating what the law is.
Riley & Dusty, twins lost 12/11 & 31/03~~Brody born still 5/28/05
TexasHeatherLynn is offline   Reply With Quote