Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #41
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/o How often do you change

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
To the first bolded that was my point it's not a matter of sanitary measures but finding what works for your kids. Being loving and caring for your kids and taking care of their needs whatever that may be and that is not the same for all of us. Having a MIL who makes others feel like they are filthy people because they don't do things just like she does may have made me a little protective of how mom's feel and helping them not feel inadequate.

To the second bolded that's the point I came to when I had my second kiddo.
Exactly, which is why some people's answers (like mine apparently) will be different then others. Lurkers and other moms should be able to read both sides, as there is always going to be atleast 2 sides (and it should be done respectfully, which I thought I was). I in no way was trying to say people who change every x amount of hours is unsanitary, I was saying it is for sanitary reasons for my kids bases on their *needs*. It would not be sanitary for me to leave them in a pee diaper for long knowing how their skin reacts to urine. If I let them get rashes, especially ones that bleed (which happen pretty quickly with one of my boys) and then let them pee it would be unsanitary and could cause infections and so on. Obviously that is not how every one elses children react, but that is how mine does and that is what I based my answer on since it was a questions of personal experience and not a study or anything like that.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #42
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We use sposies right now exclusively for a laundry list of reasons.

We change...

Upon waking
After mid morning poop
Before nap around noon
After nap around 3
Some time before dinner around 5ish
Before bed

Works for us.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #43
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
I was talking to some moms and they were bragging about how they can only use 3 disposable diapers on their tiny babies each day because the diapers "can hold soooo much these days."

I thought that was pretty gross, considering that when ds was born and before we converted to cloth @ 2.5 months, we often averaged 15 wet or poopy disposable diapers a day. Maybe my kids pee a lot and theirs don't, but it made me upset to hear that they were proud of it and that it was their strategy.

Last edited by Marbie; 10-11-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #44
Only
Registered Users
Formerly: hu**rees
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie
I was talking to some moms and they were bragging about how they can only use 3 disposable diapers on their tiny babies each day because the diapers "can hold soooo much these days."
That is foul.

Austen 06/12
Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #45
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbee View Post
These sort of posts always get a bit heated.

I actually change DD more often when she's in a sposie because you can feel and smell things pretty much immediately. Cloth hides pee smell... you know, until it sits in the wet bag for more than a couple hours.
I thought I was just imagining it. I noticed if my son has a normal poo I cannot smell it unless up close to him. Only when he has a particularly stinky diaper like diarrhea do I notice a smell. When in sposies the poop smell was like instant.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #46
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbie View Post

I thought that was pretty gross, considering that when ds was born and before we converted to cloth @ 2.5 months, we often averaged 15 wet or poopy disposable diapers a day. Maybe my kids pee a lot and theirs don't, but it made me upset to hear that they were proud of it and that it was their strategy.
Onw sposie mama told me she saved on diapers by only changing when her son pooped. So no pee diapers. This way they could at times get away with only one diaper change a day. She told me this when I offered to change her sons obviously saturated diaper.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM   #47
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's actually pretty common to see toddlers with clearly sagging diapers at the park here.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #48
joyful mother
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
Exactly, which is why some people's answers (like mine apparently) will be different then others. Lurkers and other moms should be able to read both sides, as there is always going to be atleast 2 sides (and it should be done respectfully, which I thought I was). I in no way was trying to say people who change every x amount of hours is unsanitary, I was saying it is for sanitary reasons for my kids bases on their *needs*. It would not be sanitary for me to leave them in a pee diaper for long knowing how their skin reacts to urine. If I let them get rashes, especially ones that bleed (which happen pretty quickly with one of my boys) and then let them pee it would be unsanitary and could cause infections and so on. Obviously that is not how every one elses children react, but that is how mine does and that is what I based my answer on since it was a questions of personal experience and not a study or anything like that.
I agree it would be unhealthy for you to leave them in it. I had one little guy who we had to change over to Tushies for night time cause left at all in a cloth wet diaper or other sposie that had chemicals and he had serious problems. It was hard keeping up with him and his wet diapers (he was a frequent wetter). We did what we had to, to ensure healthy skin.

When my firstborn was small my MIL would check his diaper as soon as we walked in the door than disapprovingly tell us he was wet, well duh we just had a 30-45 min drive to get here. My MIL was also a common one to say "I never did that when my kids were little, it's just not sanitary." Yes that is a quote, could be why the word sanitary gets on my last nerve. She would say that about things like kids walking barefoot in the grass. I would be treated like an unfit mother, she would say it like she wouldn't personally do that, but there was an implication that anyone who didn't do as she did was an unfit mother.

Jenn I see your heart is to just make sure your kids are taken care of whatever sacrifice that means to you, and I applaud that, every kid deserves that. I applaud those moms who put the needs of their child before their own comforts, it's a tough job and there are times that the demands can just leave you feeling inadequate and overwhelmed even without the help of a MIL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
It's actually pretty common to see toddlers with clearly sagging diapers at the park here.
Here too! I've even seen ones so full that they bust and the chemical beads are all over the place, that's time to leave the park!

Last edited by joyful mother; 10-11-2012 at 11:03 PM.
joyful mother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:02 PM   #49
me_just_me
Registered Users

My Mood:

I change pretty often. My DD is 5 months old.

1 Morning when she wakes up
2 before 1st nap
3 after 1st nap
4 before 2nd nap
5 after 2nd nap
6 before 3rd nap
7 after 3rd nap
8 before bed
9 middle of the night

These are the regular changes that happen every day. Then there are other changes that happen between naps if needed or when there is a poop. We also do some ECing.

I do like REALLY trim diapers, so I'm willing to change often to be able to use super trim diapers.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:07 PM   #50
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyful mother View Post
I agree it would be unhealthy for you to leave them in it. I had one little guy who we had to change over to Tushies for night time cause left at all in a cloth wet diaper or other sposie that had chemicals and he had serious problems. It was hard keeping up with him and his wet diapers (he was a frequent wetter). We did what we had to, to ensure healthy skin.

When my firstborn was small my MIL would check his diaper as soon as we walked in the door than disapprovingly tell us he was wet, well duh we just had a 30-45 min drive to get here. My MIL was also a common one to say "I never did that when my kids were little, it's just not sanitary." Yes that is a quote, could be why the word sanitary gets on my last nerve. She would say that about things like kids walking barefoot in the grass. I would be treated like an unfit mother, she would say it like she wouldn't personally do that, but there was an implication that anyone who didn't do as she did was an unfit mother.

Jenn I see your heart is to just make sure your kids are taken care of whatever sacrifice that means to you, and I applaud that, every kid deserves that. I applaud those moms who put the needs of their child before their own comforts, it's a tough job and there are times that the demands can just leave you feeling inadequate and overwhelmed even without the help of a MIL.

Here too! I've even seen ones so full that they bust and the chemical beads are all over the place, that's time to leave the park!
Yeah sposies are out for us. Chemicals on bum = some bad diaper rashes for my kids. Even the bleached gerber prefolds are out. I remember my mom saying that my brother had these problems too, which I am assuming must come from our genes then.

Your MIL sounds like a gem And it really sucks to have family like that (I have a family member, I'm not close to them at all, that says that same kind of stuff and it really gets to me too).