Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #21
mollypeters
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: I can't beleive it....

yup! time for a new bank! our credit union and credit card company always contact us if there's any unusual activity, which has only happened a couple times. once we were on vacay out of state, and the other time, I was doing my Christmas shopping "too fast" lol, and it caught their attention

eta ur insurance agency might offer identity theft insurance. ours is just a few dollars a month. if we ever get "stolen", they deal with everything

Advertisement

Last edited by mollypeters; 10-05-2012 at 08:13 AM.
mollypeters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #22
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
They are going to likely next week sometime...refund the charges ...pending the investigation. Dh had been on the phone for days...constantly calling the police station and the walmart were the charges were made. He finaly got a manager to take it seriously and she found in the security tapes the person making the purchases...he had debit card made with our account numbers and an id matching it. The police station told dh that it was pointless to try to catch anyone..until he told them that walmart had footage on the person..then they decided they would pursue it. But dh had to do all the legwork to get them to even consider it. Crazy!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #23
twinpossible
Registered Users

My Mood:

Wow how annoying. Who are these policemen? My sister and friend's hubby are cops and they would have been all over that case! Sorry this has been such a hassle for you, the bank and police should have been doing all the work!
Old 10-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #24
amb2j
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
So sorry mama. Ive been through similar in the past. I agree with getting a new bank. This sucks! Im sorry u have to go through this!!!!! Thinking of u and your family.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #25
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Does your card have a VISA or MasterCard logo on it?

VISA has fraud prevention services - which is what PP's are referring to about being called about out-of-state charges and whatnot. VISA's fraud prevention dept. keeps track of strange (unusual FOR YOU) charges made with your card and calls you about them. They also refund any fraud immediately.

I don't think this has to do with your bank, I think it has to do with the type of card you have.

If you DO have a VISA or MasterCard and you are going through this, you should srsly call VISA or MasterCard directly and speak with someone there about what is going on. They offer these services to ppl who carry cards with their logos on them.

I'm so sorry mama. That really stinks.

We have a VISA debit card and our numbers somehow got stolen and the ppl used our card number to buy like, over $1300 worth of gas at various gas stations across the state. I was really miffed, but there was nothing I could do except file a report with the financial institution and accept their "conditional refund" (which meant they would refund the money back but if they completed an investigation and found that I did indeed make the charges, they would take the money back out and then prosecute me - no problem with me, I knew they weren't my charges!). All of that was possible b/c of the provisions through VISA, though.

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:07 AM   #26
pgkcb13
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

How ya doing mama?
ISO Gypsum Keens in Kids size 12
pgkcb13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #27
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

VISA has fraud prevention services - which is what PP's are referring to about being called about out-of-state charges and whatnot. VISA's fraud prevention dept. keeps track of strange (unusual FOR YOU) charges made with your card and calls you about them. They also refund any fraud immediately.

I don't think this has to do with your bank, I think it has to do with the type of card you have.

If you DO have a VISA or MasterCard and you are going through this, you should srsly call VISA or MasterCard directly and speak with someone there about what is going on. They offer these services to ppl who carry cards with their logos on them.

We have a VISA debit card and our numbers somehow got stolen and the ppl used our card number to buy like, over $1300 worth of gas at various gas stations across the state. I was really miffed, but there was nothing I could do except file a report with the financial institution and accept their "conditional refund" (which meant they would refund the money back but if they completed an investigation and found that I did indeed make the charges, they would take the money back out and then prosecute me - no problem with me, I knew they weren't my charges!). All of that was possible b/c of the provisions through VISA, though.
Interesting! The card does have visa logo on it !

Thank you all for all the helpful advice and kind words...i think its going to all work out in the end...but I am past ready for it to be done already!
Old 10-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #28
roseyroberts
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki

Thank you all for all the helpful advice and kind words...i think its going to all work out in the end...but I am past ready for it to be done already!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #29
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyroberts View Post

mama. I am so happy it is all working out.

I still think you should call VISA, though. This is b/c VISA expects financial institutions who use their logo to maintain a certain level of professionalism and to make it EASY for their customers to reclaim money stolen from ID theft.

HERE is VISA's web page about ID theft and their stance... at the bottom is a number any VISA customer can call and they will work with you to correct the issues.

Here's another blurb from their site:

Quote:
Count on quick resolution and provisional credit if your card is lost or stolen. 1
If your account is compromised, Visa is committed to setting things right without further aggravation or inconvenience to you. Visa’s cardholder protection policy requires all financial institutions issuing Visa products to extend provisional credit for losses from unauthorized card use within 5 business days of notification of the loss.
Your financial institution is breaking a lot of rules with VISA and could get into big trouble. YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE TO JUMP THROUGH SO MANY HOOPS TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK. I would be calling VISA and complaining and making a big ole stink and getting someone in big trouble at the bank. They are in the wrong. 100%

Last edited by Kiliki; 10-11-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #30
mommy2kaitlyn
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncegrl
Wow. I would suggest as soon as you get through this, get a new bank. I have had someone steal from me a couple of times now and I have never been treated this way by my bank. Especially if the charges are in another state...really? U can't be in 2 places at once. I'm sorry this happened to u. It can be so frustrating and stressful! I hope u get everything worked out quickly!
Yup! My bank would refund immediately then do the investigation! My bank is US Bank. I love them!
Haha due date crashed oops
Alisha I know how to spell my Samsung Galaxy S2 does not.

Last edited by mommy2kaitlyn; 10-11-2012 at 11:25 PM.
mommy2kaitlyn is offline   Reply With Quote