Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 04:01 AM   #21
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Unsupervised Bathing

I'm seldom the one playing fast & loose, but I guess I am on this one. I started leaving DD so I could grab something (phone, drink, etc.), then progressively longer to change my clothes in the next room or put laundry away for a couple of minutes in DD's room (across the hall) or my own (next door) when she was around 18 mos or so...but even still, it's frequently punctuated by me hollering at her, "let me hear you sing!" I trust her to bathe alone safely, the only reason I don't do so is b/c of the inevitable water mess

Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #22
SamanthaSews
Registered Users

My Mood:
I leave DS (21 m) in the tub for a minute to go get something quickly. Maybe started this a few months ago. It doesn't happen often. We have a small house & the bathroom is in the middle so I don't worry too much. I just make sure he is sitting & settled before I run out.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Old 10-12-2012, 06:12 AM   #23
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: danner
seller
seller

My Mood:
My upstairs bathroom has a unique child-size bathtub that is about 3.5 feet by 2 feet. The side is a foot high. I can fill it with 3 inches of water, put my 4 year old and my 15 month old in there and feel comfortable with it. I keep the door open and stay upstairs though.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #24
umphreysmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38
I'm seldom the one playing fast & loose, but I guess I am on this one. I started leaving DD so I could grab something (phone, drink, etc.), then progressively longer to change my clothes in the next room or put laundry away for a couple of minutes in DD's room (across the hall) or my own (next door) when she was around 18 mos or so...but even still, it's frequently punctuated by me hollering at her, "let me hear you sing!" I trust her to bathe alone safely, the only reason I don't do so is b/c of the inevitable water mess
Agreed. My DD is now almost 3 and plays in the tub for probably a half hour while I do other stuff. I can hear her the whole time because she plays in there. I started going in and out around 18 months but our old house was much smaller so even in another room I could see into the tub.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:58 AM   #25
Van1300
Registered Users
seller

I started letting my almost 3 year old DD alone in the bathtub a few months ago. She sings every time she is in the tub, so I can hear her from the whole house (bathroom is centrally located). We leave the door open and we come in to help her wash her body/hair and rinse, and she knows to call if she has to get out to potty.

In another few weeks, we'll have a NB so it will be back to supervising baths
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #26
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
This is us. I am never the one to play fast and loose either, I would think, (just based on what I read here about helicopter parents, and the 3 yr old playing on the curb by traffic wearing only panties, etc) that I am a pretty strict paranoid parent. Before kids, I would have never thought I would let kids play in the tub before, say 5. But DS is a big strong 2 yr old and our house is small with the bathroom he takes baths in being right in the middle. His room is the first room by it, so if he's playing in the tub I will put up his laundry, etc. I'll hang a few shirts, then go peek on him, hang a few more, peek at him, etc.

Generally, TBH, I'm basically just sitting there (watching him) after I wash him. But if I have a load of his clothes to put away, we've been doing that stuff for months now. Or I'll get the phone and walk back to the bathroom, etc.

Last edited by Mom2Connor; 10-12-2012 at 07:07 AM.
Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #27
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

DS will be three this month ans we still don't.

A local mom lost her 2.5 year old to bathtub drowning and I am SUPER paranoid about it.
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
ajane
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My oldest was probably 3 I really don't remember. But, it was only for short periods of time while I ran to grab something or put something away and was back.

DD2 was about the same. DD3 was with one of the 2 older girls and probably similar, DS was about 2. But, again....only for short period of times to grab something. We do pretty quick baths so they are in to get clean and get out.

Mine have alll been able to swim on their own by 3 so drowning didn't worry me, but I have a fear of my kids drowning so I was always paranoid. If that makes sense, lol.

ETA: a child can drown in less than an inch of water and anything can happen in the tub. They can easily slip and hit their heads and be knocked unconscience.....which is why I was never comfortable for more than a quick run and back....and talking to them the entire time I was gone.

Last edited by ajane; 10-12-2012 at 07:12 AM.
ajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
threec's
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

my boys are 2 and 4, and they recently started sneaking up to take a bath while I nurse DD. I set up some rules, and as long as I can hear them (our house is small) I'm fine with it. Gives me a nice quiet time to nurse
threec's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM   #30
Holly dolly
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma
I started at 2 with both of them. Door is open, I'm in the next room putting things away, can hear completely and would be checking in. They are now 5 and 2 and bathe together mostly. They have never been standers and would tell me when they wanted to get out instead of doing it themselves.
This. Plus my boys make a lot of noise in the tub...if its quiet I know something's up.

Our house is tiny so I am always within a few steps of the bathroom.

Before my ds was 2 I never left him alone.

Wife to Casey Mom to Isaac and Carson Hoping for someone new in 2014
Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Holly dolly is offline   Reply With Quote