Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #11
Nat'smom
Registered Users

Re: Starting home schooling after a bad start to the school year at public school

You'll probably want to combine some online learning with textbooks. As a supplement, we use k5learning.com. We also like mathmammoth and jumpmath.

Advertisement

Nat'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Starting home schooling after a bad start to the school year at public school

I have a 5th grader that I homeschool. He is ASD so it is a little different but his strongest subjects are math and science. I have worked very hard to get him roughly on level with his peers in all subject areas though he is still behind in spelling and writing in particular. I also use Saxon and Scott Foresman for math and Grammar/writing. He is using Saxon 6/5 second edition plus the workbook (it has all of the tests and some "timed" warm up sheets). He can do his math independently, he just asks questions when he has them and that is pretty rare. So far he gets 100% on the vast majority of his tests. I am at the point of wondering what to do for next year, I am assuming we will just go on to Saxon 7/6 but I'm not sure whether to bother with 8/7 or skip right to Algebra 1. There is a lot of repeated information in there and he gets it already. We may go ahead and do it anyway, I'm not sure yet. We'll see.

We use the free Scott Foresman and that is all for now. As I said he is behind in writing and though he understands grammar in a worksheet format he can't get it contextually yet (unfortunately this is not uncommon for children like him, he has poor verbal planning). I find that this program is more than enough to challenge him at this point though as of next year he will be using Hake Grammar which is produced by Saxon. I am hoping it will be a format he is more comfortable with. I do attempt to have him do some free writing, journaling and story writing, at least every other week. Right now he is writing a research paper for me. He also does Spell By Color for spelling.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #13
2queens&1princenmyhouse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymomof3 View Post
Thanks Kristen I think I may go with Saxon and Scott Foresman, since I have used them before. Which books did you buy for Saxon? Do you use all of them? So for grammar/writing you only use the free worksheets, or do you have the textbook as well?

The library didn't have as much as I had hoped. They had a learning resource person who is an ex-teacher as well and she suggested a book called "write ahead" which I have never heard of. When I looked at the time4learning site, my dd said it was the same as compass odyssey, which she has the password for from ps.
I got this Saxon set from christian book distributors. Not that it will help you right now, but they run 40% off in the spring (for future reference if it works for you).

As for the grammar, we just use the free handbook. We're going through it pretty quickly, so I will supplement with this free Kindle book. I plan to introduce diagramming at that point.
2queens&1princenmyhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #14
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

I would suggest going to Rainbow Resource Guide online catalog and cheating with their live support. They can help you find great programs and they carry practically everything. Good luck!
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
BellaPepper
Registered Users
seller

Haha auto correct! Chatting not cheating!
BellaPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondeviolin View Post
I'd recommend taking a break and "deschooling." Homeschooling does NOT have to look at school at home. Don't rush into things. Study the curriculum choices. Do crafts, go to museums and the zoo. Enjoy each other. You can school year round if you're worried about being "behind." Read good books while you're deciding.

Check out the Well-Trained Mind forums. They are one of the more active homeschooling boards.
I think this is great advice. Don't really have anything to add, just want to say that it's awesome you have decided to do this for her! Yay for your family! I hope you enjoy your time working together. Don't let yourself get stressed out about doing things "right", or perfectly. You guys will figure it out!
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:49 AM   #17
Indymomof3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainandRedemption View Post
I think this is great advice. Don't really have anything to add, just want to say that it's awesome you have decided to do this for her! Yay for your family! I hope you enjoy your time working together. Don't let yourself get stressed out about doing things "right", or perfectly. You guys will figure it out!
Thanks for the info. I am sooo stressed! We found out last week that FIL has terminal cancer and not much time left. He lives almost 2 hrs away and we will be driving out at least 1x a week. Dh works out there and will be staying there on and off to help out.
So, I am dealing with that and trying to figure out what I want to do with homeschooling, and I babysit my nephew, and I started an ebay business last month that will have to be put on the back burner for now.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:54 AM   #18
threelittlehoneys
formerly R***and**********
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymomof3

Thanks for the info. I am sooo stressed! We found out last week that FIL has terminal cancer and not much time left. He lives almost 2 hrs away and we will be driving out at least 1x a week. Dh works out there and will be staying there on and off to help out.
So, I am dealing with that and trying to figure out what I want to do with homeschooling, and I babysit my nephew, and I started an ebay business last month that will have to be put on the back burner for now.
Sounds like you have a lot going on! So sorry about your FIL... Take things slowly and let the pieces fall into place. Don't let yourself become overwhelmed. You're going to do a wonderful job !
I read the unschooling handbook this summer by Mary Griffith and highly recommend it. I would be stressing a lot more about getting everything "right" if I hadn't read it

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
threelittlehoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
dolphingirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

www.homeschoolshare.com has tons of free unit studies, literature units, and lapbooks!

I agree with the others who said take some time to just relax and "deschool," and spend time with your FIL. Sounds like there could be some good life lessons to be learned about compassion and caring for others. It's also amazing how much kids can learn just from reading good literature.
Check out the Life of Fred books for a math supplement--zany and fun!
dolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
sunflower83b
Registered Users

homeschoolreviews.com might help you. I do Story of the world, saxon math (though I used Horizons at the younger ages), rod and staff writing, spelling power with the activity box, apologia science (very Christian), and learning language arts through literature for reading.
sunflower83b is offline   Reply With Quote