Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:
Re: It's attitudes like this that continue to perpetuate ignorance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoGcubed View Post
Griffin traded one of his Lightning McQueens for a whole make-up kit from his sister.
Griffin is awesome!

Advertisement

Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
momtoGcubed
Registered Users
Formerly: momtoGsquared
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
Griffin is awesome!
I think so, too.
momtoGcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
soonerfan
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
The wonderful thing about America, is that she is entitled to her beliefs, and you to yours. However, this seems like a pretty unprofessional thing for her to bring up at work.
See, I don't buy that we are all entitled to believe hateful things. It is akin to someone saying black people are inferior, and someone excusing it because that's their belief and they are entitled to it. Homophobia is hate under the guise of a religious excuse, and it is wrong, therefore should not be tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516
And that's why people who are teaching a group, supposedly from the Bible, shouldn't give their own viewpoint, but stick to what the Bible actually says. Yes the Bible says that homosexuality is wrong, but there's nothing in there that says that raising your boys in any particular way will change them. It's almost as bad as Ezzo claiming that he knows how to raise kids "god's way".
The bible says many things are wrong, yet people pick and choose what they want to actually live by. I think using the bible as an excuse for why homosexuality is wrong is every bit as abhorrent as when it was used to back up the "wrongness" of interracial marriage.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Joyful Tie Dyes
Banned for reasons unrelated to transactions
www.joyfultiedyes.com

My Mood:

It's sad isn't it?
Joyful Tie Dyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan View Post
See, I don't buy that we are all entitled to believe hateful things. It is akin to someone saying black people are inferior, and someone excusing it because that's their belief and they are entitled to it. Homophobia is hate under the guise of a religious excuse, and it is wrong, therefore should not be tolerated.

The bible says many things are wrong, yet people pick and choose what they want to actually live by. I think using the bible as an excuse for why homosexuality is wrong is every bit as abhorrent as when it was used to back up the "wrongness" of interracial marriage.
Good points. Personally, as a believer, it's frustrating that Old Testament verses are cherry picked, yet people who use it don't follow all of the "Old Law". I get really believing that something isn't right. It's the hate, the judging, etc that bothers me so much.
Terra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
addicteddad
Registered Users

I can totally see how someone can make the correlation between homosexual behavior and raising kids outside of 'traditional' gender roles.
a. We grant them the assumption that being gay is a behavioral choice, because we don't want to insult their cherished beliefs.

b. Some closed minded people only understand being gay as assuming the opposite gender role as the one traditionally meant for that person. I.e. effeminate gay men, and masculine gay women. Clearly, they're not worldly enough to recognize the scores of 'manly' gay men, or 'feminine' gay women.

c. If people see doing effeminate or manly things as influencing the future behavior of said person, they jump to the conclusion that you can influence a child's eventual choice to be gay or not by confusing them with allowing behavior traditionally reserved for the opposite sex. One of the many reasons I find the Duggar show reprehensible.

Once you cease to grant them any assumptions without evidence, and don't give their beliefs, no matter how cherished, any undue respect when they don't comport with evidence it makes it harder for them to jump to such conclusions.
addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #17
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Im really turned off by that attitude as well. I actually attended an easter service where the pastor actually said "left wing losers." Niiiice. Too many people use the bible as an excuse for hatred and bigotry. Not to mention there is ample evidence that toys do not play a role in sexual identity in adulthood, even if "you" do find homosexuality distasteful. Or sinful or whatever blahblahblah. Thump your bible all you want but numbers dont lie. And no, gay couples dont raise little gay babies. Facepalm.

But if we are going to be honest we cant judge an entire denomination based on one (or two or ten, really, or my entire family) persons nasty or ignorant comments. Thats as bad as saying all muslims are terrorists right?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:04 AM   #18
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

While I don't think playing with girl toys will turn a boy gay or vice versa , I do how ever think that we should raise our boys to be men and our girls to be women. I believe we should help our children develop into capable, competent adults,the adults that God intends them to be. As they grow and mature, each sex needs different skills to prepare them for life. I'm not saying that only girls clean and cook and boys only work out side or on cars. Every one needs to know how to cook ,clean and do basic car maintenance.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #19
Fairycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
While I don't think playing with girl toys will turn a boy gay or vice versa , I do how ever think that we should raise our boys to be men and our girls to be women. I believe we should help our children develop into capable, competent adults,the adults that God intends them to be. As they grow and mature, each sex needs different skills to prepare them for life. I'm not saying that only girls clean and cook and boys only work out side or on cars. Every one needs to know how to cook ,clean and do basic car maintenance.
I can see where make up and things fit with this thinking, but why is it "bad" for boys to play house? Play with dolls? And play in a nurturing way? I don't want to put you on the spot, but you are the first to say you sort of believe this way.

My issue is we raise MEN that have no nuturing skills, are so dumb with kids and lazy, that a great many people on this board would never think of trusting their husbands with their kids. I hear all the time how dhs just don't have time or interests in their kids. I often wonder if in societies desire to remove all the supposed feminitity of men, we have stepped back so far we ruined it for guys to be Dads?

I also agree about bible picking. Seriously in todays soceity and even back in the day you really can't follow every law in the bible. Some things in there are shocking and thankfully not followed any more. Some things are even more clear about avoiding or doing, but for some reason a bunch of people held onto one tiny thing in the bible while skipping the parts they just don't like.
Fairycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #20
wordmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerfan

Thank you! I agree entirely. I believe the only common theme through every book in the bible is to love one another as Jesus loved. Judging others based on race or sexual preference is not love. Having a preacher allude to this kind of prejudice is abhorrent and something I would have brought up to my church counsel. But then, I attend a church that welcomes and loves all people.

As for raising our children as men and women, I don't understand the concept. I'm raising my kids to be respectful, responsible adults. How they identify as a gender is their choice!

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
Check out my blog, focusing on the wisdom of wee ones.
wordmama is offline   Reply With Quote