Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:22 PM   #21
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: argh!!!! some people!!!!

Keep posting and keep talking. If you guys hadn't kept it up I would have forward faced my third son at 5-6 months as that was when he outgrew his infant seat. He is now 16 months old and still rearfacing. My husband sais he will rearface until he maxes out his rearfacing capacity. He has a radian and is short so hopefully until he is at least 4-5 years of age.

In ignorance I forward faced my first two children at 7 months and 9 months of age because 1 that was when they outgrew their infant seats and 2 the new seats didn't fit rearfacing in our car. It didn't occur to me this was an issue so didn't bother looking for a different carseat that would fit rearfacing in our car.

Advertisement

qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants View Post
in the UK they had sleep sacks with zippers so you could run the straps through and zip it up around, was a genius idea, I wonder if they have them in the USA/Canada?
We have those here, but they are unsafe to be used with car seats and recommended against by the seat manufacturers. No aftermarket products, nothing that doesn't come with the seat in the box, should be put between baby and the straps, or baby and the seat.
Better (and safe!) to use blankets over baby, and a "shower cap style" cover over the whole seat to keep baby toasty and warm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myles_104 View Post
Ok, I live in the same place, and get the same thing. I also get "if you DO get in a crash and your kids survive (due to proper buckling) and you get hurt, they will die of exposure anyway."
Really. ITs so terrible. but then again, I always make sure my kids have their jackets on backwards (arms in the sleeves) after we buckle. Even at -50*C I would hope someone would stop before the warm car cooled enough for the kids to die of exposure.
I also find I can get them in the seats with snow pants without adjusting the straps.
Yes, over and over they argued that. My kids all start with their jackets on them (backwards or just laying over their lap like a blanket, whichever they want) but once it gets warm in the van they put it on the seat beside them. FTR, having them in their seat with the coat on wouldn't stop that - they'd just scream about being too hot until I stopped and took off coats!

I have found the same thing, with some snow pants. It's very very rare that we need to have snow pants on in the vehicle, though. They never wear them for normal town trips or whatnot, and if we're going sledding or something outside we put on the outergear when we arrive.
canadianbakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #23
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
We have those here, but they are unsafe to be used with car seats and recommended against by the seat manufacturers. No aftermarket products, nothing that doesn't come with the seat in the box, should be put between baby and the straps, or baby and the seat.
Better (and safe!) to use blankets over baby, and a "shower cap style" cover over the whole seat to keep baby toasty and warm.

Yes, over and over they argued that. My kids all start with their jackets on them (backwards or just laying over their lap like a blanket, whichever they want) but once it gets warm in the van they put it on the seat beside them. FTR, having them in their seat with the coat on wouldn't stop that - they'd just scream about being too hot until I stopped and took off coats!

I have found the same thing, with some snow pants. It's very very rare that we need to have snow pants on in the vehicle, though. They never wear them for normal town trips or whatnot, and if we're going sledding or something outside we put on the outergear when we arrive.
well the one I was talking about is totally safe and doesn't interfere at ALL with the straps
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 PM   #24
shannychi
Registered Users
seller

yikes. Friend? That is harsh.

I completely agree with the poster about "what's best for our family" is a cop out at times.

As for the cold, we live in MI and I made polar fleece blankets that the kids use after they get in their car seats since the coats slide off sometimes.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #25
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
well the one I was talking about is totally safe and doesn't interfere at ALL with the straps
If it goes between baby and the straps, or behind baby, it could interfere with the straps, even if it doesn't seem like it is.

If this one you're talking about doesn't go under/behind baby or near the straps, then you could say for sure it doesn't interfere, but I don't know any like that.
And, regardless, it still would be an aftermarket product, not recommended to use by seat manufacturers.

The only thing I can think of, here, that sounds like what you're describing is the bundle-me type cover... which for some reason I can't find a pic of the inside of
Old 10-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #26
megenic
Registered Users
seller

Here's a question that I should probably just post on the general car seat forum but I'll ask here since its in topic.

I just switched older DD to a belt positioning booster (cry, stop growing!!!) Does the winter jacket thing still apply with a seatbelt instead of harness? Or can you put a coat on with the seatbelt?
Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #27
Dory
Registered Users
Formerly: Thing1 & Thing2
seller
seller

I'm not up to speed on boosters, but from what I remember from last winter, adults shouldn't even wear puffy coats in the car. So, no, not with a booster.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
PoshPants
Registered
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbakers View Post
If it goes between baby and the straps, or behind baby, it could interfere with the straps, even if it doesn't seem like it is.

If this one you're talking about doesn't go under/behind baby or near the straps, then you could say for sure it doesn't interfere, but I don't know any like that.
And, regardless, it still would be an aftermarket product, not recommended to use by seat manufacturers.

The only thing I can think of, here, that sounds like what you're describing is the bundle-me type cover... which for some reason I can't find a pic of the inside of
it had zips on both sides. so it didn't change the strap vs being on or not being on, was quite smart of them. But never saw them here. Maybe someone should import them
Old 10-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #29
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshPants

it had zips on both sides. so it didn't change the strap vs being on or not being on, was quite smart of them. But never saw them here. Maybe someone should import them
If you have to thread it through the sleepsack I've seen them here, and they're still not safe. heck I have one. The test is this - put baby in car seat with the item and tighten up until snug. Then without loosening straps, remove baby and item and put baby back in without it. If you'd have to tighten the straps again then it's too thick, reroutes the straps too much or both. Bundlemes and bunting bags are horrible.

Sent from my iPod touch using DS Forum
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #30
canadianbakers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megenic View Post
Here's a question that I should probably just post on the general car seat forum but I'll ask here since its in topic.

I just switched older DD to a belt positioning booster (cry, stop growing!!!) Does the winter jacket thing still apply with a seatbelt instead of harness? Or can you put a coat on with the seatbelt?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dory View Post
I'm not up to speed on boosters, but from what I remember from last winter, adults shouldn't even wear puffy coats in the car. So, no, not with a booster.
Nope, not safe still, even in a booster. Technically, we as adults shouldn't be all bundled up while buckled either.

And, really, my kids and I never keep our coats on in the vehicle for long. Once it's warmed up, we don't want to be too hot. I would rather take the kids' coats off before them being buckled, cuz in a booster they're likely (my kids anyways) to just unbuckle or sneak their arm out of the belt to get their coat off, kwim?

Quote:
Do you have any links to this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computermama View Post
If you have to thread it through the sleepsack I've seen them here, and they're still not safe. heck I have one. The test is this - put baby in car seat with the item and tighten up until snug. Then without loosening straps, remove baby and item and put baby back in without it. If you'd have to tighten the straps again then it's too thick, reroutes the straps too much or both. Bundlemes and bunting bags are horrible.
Do you know which one she means? I've only even seen the bundle-me type things here - different brands and prices, but the same idea.