Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
MamaNae
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: less then 2 months in

Sadly, I live in a small town, one school district so if 1 kid in the church is selling wrapping paper odds are 25+ other kids in the church are selling the same wrapping paper.

And Iowa is made up of mostly 'small towns' with one school district. Only the bigger cities have options for schooling...so it'd be the same thing all over the state. Even in Des Moines most of the schools (aside from private) are under the DMPS so more than likely if Webster is selling wrapping paper than so is Monroe...

Advertisement

Renae. Helpmeet to my hottie hubby, Josh. Devoted Mama to my Wolf scout-bookworm-sports-a-holic James (7), my Daisy Scout Princess Aldria (5) and my 2 year old Tornado Emmett and [COLOR="Magenta"] and my tiny squish Cora Paige! (May 2013)

Last edited by MamaNae; 10-12-2012 at 08:01 PM.
MamaNae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #12
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DD's school does Script. It's much better, the school gets money and I don't waste mine on things we wouldn't use. I'd much rather ask the teacher directly if they needed supplies that buy overpriced fundraiser items.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #13
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
Sadly, I live in a small town, one school district so if 1 kid in the church is selling wrapping paper odds are 25+ other kids in the church are selling the same wrapping paper.

And Iowa is made up of mostly 'small towns' with one school district. Only the bigger cities have options for schooling...so it'd be the same thing all over the state. Even in Des Moines most of the schools (aside from private) are under the DMPS so more than likely if Webster is selling wrapping paper than so is Monroe...
Yeah that is tough. I think it's just sad all around that while education is supposed to be so highly valued that budgets are cut all the time yet it seems other things can be so highly funded.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #14
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra View Post
I work at an elementary school and I can assure you that it's not about using their cuteness. It's about funding because of the educational cuts. Our teachers are given $100 for the entire year for supplies, room decorations and field trips. Without fundraisers we would have nothing. And our kindergarten teachers alone [I'm in kindergarten], each spend well over $500-700 a year out of pocket. And many even pay for children's field trips when they can't afford them, buy them clothes, shoes, etc.

I understand about not liking them so much, but they really do help. And I proudly buy from my son who is a kindergartener this year, and my pre-school/VPK son at his day school to help out those teachers.
I am just complaining because I hate selling stuff- I understand completely. And I don't know too many people who use the kids' cuteness. Everyone I know sells the stuff not their kids. I just put a post on Facebook saying we were selling magazines for her school and let me know if someone wanted to order. Then sent grandma an email since she subscribes to about 10 mags, figured we could get her before she renewed then this year. Then dh and I both want 1 each. We should get enough to get the first level prize. That is my biggest problem with it- the guy (who is not school staff) got them all excited about the prizes. It didn't really occur to me that we might end up with more fund raisers because we chose the school, but as soon as we got the second one it hit me.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 AM   #15
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knodceo View Post
Can't you ask what they need for the school and offer to donate that? I am sure TS frustrating. And what happens if the kids don't sell anything?
No, well we probably could but its a Charter school. Its an art school they aren't raising money for paper and pencils. They are raising money for pianos, other instruments, travel to events (they only have 1 bus) like a recent art show that the advanced sculpting class had a piece entered, up keeping their dance studio, sculpting and theatre equipment. Its a tuition free school.

We chose this school so there is no way I would refuse to sell the stuff- if we can sell even a little bit we will because we want dd to have the art aspect. I don't have to like it, but if I want her to have benefit of the art curriculum then I have to help support it. I'm just an introvert and don't like doing stuff like this. We are also required to volunteer 25 hours a school year and parents organize the classroom parties, etc.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #16
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post

That stinks. We will never sell much- it will be just us and MIL. We have other family me members but we won't ask those we know can't afford it or those who might have kids also selling stuff- even if its at a different time. Don't really want to get into the whole- I bought from your kid you have to buy from mine stuff. I am sure great grandma would buy and she can afford it, but she has 5 great grand kids in school so I am not going to ask her- I know someone else will shortly if they haven't already. But MIL is ours at least for this year, next year she'll have another grand kid in school. We don't go to church and dh isn't allowed to take it to work. So its down to us and MIL. I did have one of our military friends say they want to take a look- their kids don;t start school for another 2 years.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #17
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Yep, I just got the heads up to expect paperwork for another fundraiser. The last was all jewellery (which I don't wear) wrapping paper (I bought 3 rolls from costco, so I should be good until my oldest goes to college) and candles (I have an infant who'll be trying to pull up in not that much longer). No thanks. I'm on mat leave, DH works largely by himself, and most of our friends have kids who are selling the same thing. It got a glance from Grandma and then filed under T. I looked through it, hoping I could find some small thing to buy that I'd use, but there really wasn't anything.

This next one is supposed to be produce of some kind. Not sure how that works, but if it's reasonable, we'll probably get some.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
monkeymama07
Registered Users
seller

My son is in private school and we are on our second.

I don't buy much but don't mind just helping out at school.... Need more markers no prob, money for a field trip here ya go. (And yes I have to work extra to provide these things) but a great school expierence is important to me
Old 10-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #19
doulamomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae
I think it's completely unfair for lower income/middle income families who are struggling. If a parent cannot afford to buy shoes don't you think it makes them feel even more like total garbage because they can't afford a $17.99 tube of wrapping paper or a $8.97 frozen pizza? Most everyone in our extended family is just barely getting by...asking my Grandma on social security to buy crap she can't eat because she's on dialysis or asking my mil when she's disabled and my fil only is able to work sporadically for a trucking company...or my mom & stepdad who were both out of work for over 3 years? Nope...not gonna happen.

We're not within the public school system so my kids only do 1 fund raiser a year (boy scouts popcorn and girl scout cookies) and our families do buy because it's the only 1 (and dang that popcorn is YUMMY and hello? Thin Mints? Yes please) but if I were bugging them every 6 weeks? Uh nope...
Selling girl scout cookies does not count as a fundraiser. Its a public service lol

Sent from my droid
Old 10-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Terra
Drinks her not-just-a-smoothie pina coladas in ALL CAPS in front of her preschoolers before she takes her CDs and goes home.
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
I am just complaining because I hate selling stuff- I understand completely. And I don't know too many people who use the kids' cuteness. Everyone I know sells the stuff not their kids. I just put a post on Facebook saying we were selling magazines for her school and let me know if someone wanted to order. Then sent grandma an email since she subscribes to about 10 mags, figured we could get her before she renewed then this year. Then dh and I both want 1 each. We should get enough to get the first level prize. That is my biggest problem with it- the guy (who is not school staff) got them all excited about the prizes. It didn't really occur to me that we might end up with more fund raisers because we chose the school, but as soon as we got the second one it hit me.
Yeah me too! I'm not a salesmen at all! I and a couple of my close friends will buy from my son. But man am I impressed with some of the orders that come back!
I must say though that the fundraisers we do, the people don't come and hype the prizes. We just pass out the info to the teachers and they pass out the packets to send home. The kiddos can read about the prizes in there in a "non-getting riled up way"
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulamomma View Post
Selling girl scout cookies does not count as a fundraiser. Its a public service lol

Sent from my droid
Thin mints. Must have thin mints. And Somoas!