Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Mom2Connor
Registered Users

Re: Crib in the bathtub?

Our crib is way too wide to fit in a tub. Did they maybe have one of those mini cribs or depending on how long ago it was, a homemade one or something? There are a lot more regulations now than there used to be on things like that, maybe they had lots of different size options.

the fire risk would worry me (about firefighters finding them in a fire)but I guess on the upside, baby would be safer in a tornado....

Advertisement

Mom2Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I personally wouldn't do it.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #13
genevievej84
Registered Users

DS3 had his crib in the bathtub for about 6 months. He only napped in it during the day because it was a quiet area of the house.

There were a few reasons why I was ok with it. First, our bathtub is HUGE. And by huge I mean, about the size of a hot tub. There was enough space for the crib and to keep it away from the faucets. Second, there is a large window in our bathroom. So, if necessary, there is an alternate way to get in or out I the room. I would not be comfortable with it in a bathroom with no window
genevievej84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

you know, I dreamt about DD sleeping in the bathtub the other night. No crib though. And the water faucet dripped and got her blanket wet.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:18 PM   #15
IsaacsMom2009
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaNae View Post
...my dd and 2nd ds could fall asleep at a rock concert going on at a NASCAR race next to an airport
I love this!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
keonli
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think if you're going to go through all that effort for a quiet space for the baby, then you might as well convert the bathroom into a bedroom. Remove all the bathroom fixtures, close off the pipes, etc.
keonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by keonli View Post
I think if you're going to go through all that effort for a quiet space for the baby, then you might as well convert the bathroom into a bedroom. Remove all the bathroom fixtures, close off the pipes, etc.
I disagree, I think that is a lot more work than just putting a crib in there for 6-12 mos and then moving it to another location and having your bathroom back.

OP, Do you have any HUGE closets? I know sometimes walk-in closets can be big enough to fit a crib. Might be a better idea than the bathroom?

Personally, I wouldn't even worry about the faucet being within reach. How could they reach through the crib and hurt themselves on a faucet?? Maybe I'm missing something. I guess if they somehow had amazing dexterity and physical strength at 6 months old, they might be able to get the faucet ON, but even then, the bottom of the crib would not be low enough in the bathtub for the baby to even get wet, and all the water would just go down the drain anyway. So I don't really see that as a risk. A downside maybe...

I think if it fits in the tub securely and safely, you could do it. Little newborns and small babies don't move around a lot anyway.

As far as whether it is "legal" or not, I have no idea. I think that would be a moot point unless you were talking about a foster child, or having CPS come examine your home for some reason.

Just to echo what PP's have pointed out, not all kids are the same, some sleep better than others. I also think you can make it TOO quiet for a sleeping baby, and it is better for them to get used to the noise straight from the very first days of life than to make everything super quiet and then have sleep issues later on.

Do what works best for your family! There are babies and children and families all over the world who survive with much less space (and in much worse conditions) and make it work.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #18
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The baby is already going to be use to the noise of your home because he/she hears it in the womb. ds1 was so loud as a 2 year old when I was pregnant with ds2, and then ds2 was born and could sleep through ds1's loudness. I wouldn't worry too much about the noise aspect.

I guess I don't see why when you're ready to let baby move to his/her own room before sleeping with the other sibling, why you couldn't just room share with baby for a little longer and then switch to a shared room.
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
SaraElise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I wouldn't do it, is there a reason you wouldn't just set up a quiet corner in your own bedroom for a little longer?

We had all 3 of our kids in our room at least part time for the first year before moving into their own room/with a sibling.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:46 AM   #20
earthflower
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

closets and bathtubs for cribs? I would never have thought, very different!
earthflower is offline   Reply With Quote