Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:39 PM   #21
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabelino
VBA2C.

Link in my siggy to my pregnancy/birth story.
Yeah that!

I had a failed vbac(well not failed, I never got a chance to go into labor). When I found out I was pregnant I found a wonderful midwife and had a hba2c. It was the best choice for our family. I labored so long in denial my midwife arrived 45 min before he was born! Our kids slept thru the entire thing. Woke up to a baby brother. I was never scared of the risks. I was scared I'd fail. And I had many challenges. My broke broke without labor starting. I had 68 hours of broken waters by the time he was born. And he induced naturally with castor oil

Advertisement

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Didn't read anyone else's responses, so just responding to you. :-)

I had DS by cs after an induction and 5 hrs of pushing. He was 10lbs 12oz and had his head cocked to the side with his ear to his shoulder (acynclitic presentation, widest possible diameter), and I had a still mostly intact hymen (it's a mystery to me how!)

DD was born at home - a vbac - after a textbook perfect homebirth. Literally the best thing I could have ever imagined! She was 9lbs 15oz. No complications.

My recovery after both births felt the same. It was rough and I had rough ppd and a rough start nursing with both.

If/when we have a third I feel torn about what we will do. After having my "dream vbac" I realized the actual delivery doesn't mean anything to me compared to how much I love my babies. :-) I love them both exactly the same! And I can see the courageous effort I put into both deliveries.

I'm not comfortable homebirthing again, bc my babies are so big. After having the perfect homebirth and holding my baby in my arms I was really struck by how much I was risking by doing all of this away from emergency care. Especially bc of their size and body shape. They both had wider chests/torsos than heads - by an entire inch (the head is supposed to be the widest part) and babies with that body type are the ones with the worst outcomes in the RARE cases of true shoulder dystocia.

The statistics are largely in favor of a safe delivery, for sure. But when I held my little girl for the first time I finally saw her as MY little girl and not a statistic.

The thought of attempting a hospital vbac (even after a successful hbac) is a little scary to me, so I'm open to scheduling a repeat cs, especially bc we know a third baby would be our last and the main risks of repeat cesareans are to future pregnancies (and to mom).

Those are mythoughts.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #23
romansmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaSueCongdon
Didn't read anyone else's responses, so just responding to you. :-)

I had DS by cs after an induction and 5 hrs of pushing. He was 10lbs 12oz and had his head cocked to the side with his ear to his shoulder (acynclitic presentation, widest possible diameter), and I had a still mostly intact hymen (it's a mystery to me how!)

DD was born at home - a vbac - after a textbook perfect homebirth. Literally the best thing I could have ever imagined! She was 9lbs 15oz. No complications.

My recovery after both births felt the same. It was rough and I had rough ppd and a rough start nursing with both.

If/when we have a third I feel torn about what we will do. After having my "dream vbac" I realized the actual delivery doesn't mean anything to me compared to how much I love my babies. :-) I love them both exactly the same! And I can see the courageous effort I put into both deliveries.

I'm not comfortable homebirthing again, bc my babies are so big. After having the perfect homebirth and holding my baby in my arms I was really struck by how much I was risking by doing all of this away from emergency care. Especially bc of their size and body shape. They both had wider chests/torsos than heads - by an entire inch (the head is supposed to be the widest part) and babies with that body type are the ones with the worst outcomes in the RARE cases of true shoulder dystocia.

The statistics are largely in favor of a safe delivery, for sure. But when I held my little girl for the first time I finally saw her as MY little girl and not a statistic.

The thought of attempting a hospital vbac (even after a successful hbac) is a little scary to me, so I'm open to scheduling a repeat cs, especially bc we know a third baby would be our last and the main risks of repeat cesareans are to future pregnancies (and to mom).

Those are mythoughts.
Thank you for sharing this point of view!!

I'm due in Dec and have struggled with my choice for a repeat c/s. DS1 was only 8lbs 7 oz but presented in the same way as your first and sunny-side up. After 36 hrs of labor and 3 hrs of pushing, he was born by c/s with finger marks all over his head from where my MW tried to manually turn him between contractions. This time around, I have GD and an umbilical hernia that NEEDS repaired and my OB feels like I have too many things stacked against me for a successful VBAC although she is willing to let me do a TOL. Unfortunately I am terrified of being another "failure" and going through that torture again only to end up in the OR so I've pretty much opted for the repeat c/s but still keep second guessing myself. I dealt with MAJOR guilt and shame after DSs delivery as I'm the only one in my family to not have an unmedicated natural birth and no one really understood the rough recovery I had. I think, for me, choosing a repeat c/s this time and having time to plan accordingly will at least let me feel somewhat in control of my birth and focus on a healthy baby and self regardless of the delivery method.

OP-best of luck!!! I hope you get the birth that you want and a healthy LO!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:50 AM   #24
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansmommy

I'm due in Dec and have struggled with my choice for a repeat c/s. DS1 was only 8lbs 7 oz but presented in the same way as your first and sunny-side up. After 36 hrs of labor and 3 hrs of pushing, he was born by c/s with finger marks all over his head from where my MW tried to manually turn him between contractions. This time around, I have GD and an umbilical hernia that NEEDS repaired and my OB feels like I have too many things stacked against me for a successful VBAC although she is willing to let me do a TOL. Unfortunately I am terrified of being another "failure" and going through that torture again only to end up in the OR so I've pretty much opted for the repeat c/s but still keep second guessing myself. I dealt with MAJOR guilt and shame after DSs delivery as I'm the only one in my family to not have an unmedicated natural birth and no one really understood the rough recovery I had. I think, for me, choosing a repeat c/s this time and having time to plan accordingly will at least let me feel somewhat in control of my birth and focus on a healthy baby and self regardless of the delivery method.

Making peace with our stories is such a difficult process. And especially more so when we compare ourselves to another. Even comparing the birth of one of your own children to the next. I think there is beauty and courage demonstrated in every birth, and sometimes it can take us years to see it for ourselves when we're holding ourselves to a certain standard (be in an unmedicated vaginal delivery or something else). ((hugs))

Every friend that I've had who has planned a cesarean delivery has shared that it was a very peaceful and gentle delivery and that their babies were alert and able to nurse in recovery. I wish you the best!
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #25
lizzy911
Registered Users

Re: REPEAT C/S OR VBAC?

I would like to try for a VBAC. I think I'm a good candidate assuming the reasons for my first c-section don't manifest themselves again (I had HELLP syndrome and couldn't risk the blood loss). I didn't mind the csection because it saved my life but in case I want a third child, I would prefer a VBAC due to the risks of multiple cs. However, if my doctor is against a VBAC I will likely defer to their judgment since they have a very low csection rate and are very in favor of as natural birth as you prefer.
lizzy911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:22 AM   #26
raisingcropsandbabies
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by romansmommy View Post

((big hugs)). I had a natural, unmedicated homebirth with my 1st and it ended traumatically. Sometimes it's not what it is chalked up to be. My 3 c-sections have been more peaceful and resulted in healthier babies. It is hard for women who've never experienced c/s to understand that you are still doing tons of work for your baby... their work is before the baby comes with labor and our work is after with recovery. It can be bothersome when others view the c/s as "the easy way out". That recovery business is tough stuff!
I had my umbilical hernia repaired during my last c-section! I also have a music playlist that is relaxing and calms me down and warms up the O.R. You can talk with your doctor about kangaroo care when the baby comes. SOme are willing to let the baby stay in the OR with you the whole time and some docs will let you hold the baby too (with some help). I had some issues during the last one and DH had to take Baby Girl with him to the nursery, but I did get to touch her cheek and kiss on those cheeks a bit before that. It was really sweet.
I was also more prepared with coordinating help after my last 2 c/s babies were born (the other c/s was more of a wait and see what will happen). And I was also more prepared by making freezer meals and being ready for post-op recovery (the house was better set up, food was arranged, etc).
So there are perks to knowing what will happen too. That said, I also fully support women who want to VBAC (esp. if you are wanting a large family). I've had some issues from multiple c-sections and it's making me and, especially, my DH struggle with the thought of a 5th child.
raisingcropsandbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
Mom2jandb
Registered Users
seller
seller

I did a VBAC. For me there was no question, but i hated my c section. I left my long-time OB over it and found one who was really supportive, knowledgable, and specializes in VBACs.

If you go VBAC, it helps tremendously to find a supportive OB. Mine explained to me that there are warning signs before rupture and they can have the baby out ASAP if it comes to that. He also told me that every time he's seen a complication (and never with his patients) there has always been induction involved. He refuses to induce a VBAC.

A good OB will obtain your records from your c section to see if you are even a good candidate for VBAC with regards to uterine rupture.

Good luck with your decision.
Mom2jandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
cowangel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had a csection with my first for some of thesame reasons you mentioned. I was set on a VBAC but after doing my own research I decided to have a repeat Csection...I felt like it was best for my baby and I still believe that. I am now pregnant with what will be my 5th csection baby...you have todecide what is best for you! And you baby!