Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
Formerly: **kau*
seller

My Mood:
Acne during pregnancy

I have gotten cystic acne really bad since pregnancy. I have had problems in the past and been using doctor prescribed medications for it. When I became pregnant it was gone (the acne) but I was using it to keep it away. I stopped using it right away because I know some of that stuff isn't pregnancy safe. Well... I stopped it and my acne came back full force and I can't keep it under control. Besides looking like crap it hurts like heck. What can I use for acne? I don't want to use anything not safe. I have an appt in a week where I can ask but I am impatient and want to start using something sooner.

Advertisement

Mommyto2B2G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Subbing for suggestions. With my previous pregnancies my skin cleared up beautifully but this time it just keeps getting worse. It's also become really dry and irritated. Yay hormones!
Old 10-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I believe that acne products where the active ingredient is sulfur are safe during pregnancy. I've used a sulfur soap for a couple years w/ pretty good results & I know there are a few masks & spot creams as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 AM   #4
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Acne during pregnancy

sulfur based? Awesome, I'll check at the store today! Thank you.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
chandni3
Registered Users
seller

Benzoyl Peroxide is level C at high doses I believe but your body only absorbs a small amount of what you put on your skin and then you're only using it on a part of your body. It's been used for years and years with no reports of adverse reactions. Some women use it not even thinking that skin care products can be a problem. You could use it only on individual spots or every other night to be more cautious. Also, Salicyclic acid at or below 2% is safe. It's Salicyclic acid that's in asprin that you ingest that is not recommended as it can thin the blood. I used Salicyclic acid face wash (left it on for several mins in the shower) daily and benzyol peroxide a couple times a week while pregnant. I did a lot of research on both of them. Shampoo is probably more dangerous when pregnant than these products.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/PumpkinsandMe
Montessori and Waldorf Inspired Toys
chandni3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandni3 View Post
Benzoyl Peroxide is level C at high doses I believe but your body only absorbs a small amount of what you put on your skin and then you're only using it on a part of your body. It's been used for years and years with no reports of adverse reactions. Some women use it not even thinking that skin care products can be a problem. You could use it only on individual spots or every other night to be more cautious. Also, Salicyclic acid at or below 2% is safe. It's Salicyclic acid that's in asprin that you ingest that is not recommended as it can thin the blood. I used Salicyclic acid face wash (left it on for several mins in the shower) daily and benzyol peroxide a couple times a week while pregnant. I did a lot of research on both of them. Shampoo is probably more dangerous when pregnant than these products.
Agreed; I think that the risks associated w/ most topical acne stuff is overblown; if I'm in that position, I'll probably use sulfur-based products b/c I've already had good luck w/ them & I believe they are the "safest". I've not had great luck with salicylic acid anyway, so avoiding it isn't any hardship to me...if it worked better for me, I might still use it on occasion.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
Mommyto2B2G
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mine was really heavy duty prescription stuff that sometimes burned my skin. I only used the one that wasn't as bad when I found out I was pregnant and the packaging says do not use during pregnancy so it scared me. Ugh I haven't had this problem in over a year. Dang you hormones!
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:

I recommend adding witchhazel. Wash (with whatever you choose), tone with witchhazel, and then moisturize.

I had adult acne and discovered the healing properties of witchhazel in my 30's and it's been a lifesaver. Pregnancy hasn't been able to screw with my face and I generally blame that on the witchhazel as well.

ETA: I also discovered that I cannot use any products with salycilic acid in them. My skin erupts. So, I avoid that. Benzoyl peroxide is good, but there are several other active ingredients that you can find in cleansers. Most things seem to rely on SA though.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 10-14-2012 at 01:36 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
momneedssupport
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ive been using the witchhazel and my acne has cleared up amazingly.my dry patches, not so much.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
The Fancy Pansy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I also use witch hazel. I just take a bottle and add a few drops of TTO and lavender to it, and use it morning and night on a cotton ball.