View Poll Results: Are Outdoor Play Structures Desirable?
Yes - Must Have! 56 60.87%
Doesn't Bother Me 28 30.43%
Ick, Tacky! 2 2.17%
Other 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #21
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: S/O Outdoor Play Structures, Yes or No?

Doesn't bother me. We have some and 2 trampolines (big one and small one with a bar to hold on to). Would love a tree house but we dont' have a tree in our yard. However, we play mostly in our front yard right now at their ages because they like to ride bike up and down the side walk.

Advertisement

JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #22
pumkinsmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Other than a trampoline I think it is wonderful to have whatever you can for your children to enjoy playing outside. Picking up your yard and maintaining things is proper. We live in an expensive neighborhood and we got a metal swing for our daughter a few years ago and would like to upgrade to a bigger structure with a 'tree house' and such. The metal swing we bought is painted a hunter green so it blends in with the very wooded nature of our neighborhood. Also in the summer we put up an easy set pool on our driveway, which is very long. It didn't say anything about it in the covenants and I want my daughter to have fun.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
Celeste
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Here is what we currently have in our yard...trampoline, swingset, sandbox, and teeter totter. And there are my kids enjoying it. We have parks close by that we visit a few times a week, but it's nice to let them go outside to play while I'm making dinner or whatever. The other half of our yard is toy free...just my clothesline

Last edited by Celeste; 05-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:38 PM   #24
mkrisel
Registered Users

We currently have a wooden play structure and a small (about 4 feet in diameter, 18 inches off the ground) trampoline. The trampoline is in the front/side yard at the moment, but will be in the back under the coveted porch when we are done with the kitchen remodel and the tools are put away. You can't see either from the street. The swing set is visible to probably 4 neighbors-those up the hill from us and behind us. They don't block a view for anyone. The amount of time and exercise that dd gets is well worth it.
mkrisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 PM   #25
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't like trampolines or above ground pools, but we love our swingset.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 AM   #26
Mercy24
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just bought DS a little Step 2 climber/slide for this coming christmas, and if we had the space I'd get him other equipment (We're in an apt with no yard so it's for the playroom til we get our house). I think as long as they're well maintained it's just a sign that kids live there.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:21 AM   #27
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:
We have a little play house, a slide and a water table. I think that is enough. I'm not sure I'd want more. We live on two partially wooded acres that go down to a creek though. I figure as the children get older surely they can find stuff to do. I don't particularly enjoy looking at this stuff, but calling it tacky... nah.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:45 AM   #28
Ainmemphis
Registered Users
seller
seller

I hate that things outside get worn so all out outdoor toys either get put in garage after use or stay in the house. If we had a big enough space for a large swing set/tree house I'd put one out but all the plastic things I hate to see ruin. I guess that's why our house looks like a day care with playhouse, slide and swing, 2 Cozy coupes and more inside the house.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:14 AM   #29
melfinn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in a small city that is pretty much lower income so we see a lot of stuff in ppls yards!! Can be somewhat compared to the Alaska jokes I have heard, about the blue tarp sheds! Well we have a blue trap shed! I have many plants that need protection, two that shouldn't be left out all winter but I am not bringing them in as they weigh a million lbs and we don't have that kinda room. My blue tarp "shed" is in the back of the house in the corner for no one to see.

But other neighbors forget they even have a grill cover and they go flying around the yards on windy days! The other day someone left a shopping cart out front? It is about half and half where some ppl pick up their yards and some don't. I like to keep things picked up and clean and we have a ton of toys! The smaller toys without wheels go in the small outdoor closet that houses the furnace. The ride ons go against the back of house on patio. Sand box goes right off patio on the grass, covered when not in use so cats don't pee in it We have a big step 2 climber in the back/side yard. I wash and hose it down daily! I may miss a day here and there but like to keep it clean. It is darker and hasn't faded like I have seen many lighter colored plastic climbers do? Maybe it is the brand? Oh and we just got another sand box, the turtle it was free so I just cleaned it up, but right now it is under the tarp helping to protect the plants!

I like to sweep and rake daily! My neighbors must think I am crazy bc they only do that stuff when they have too!!

I think if you have a ton of money you may find a yard full of toys tacky but most ppl would think "wow those kids have a lot of fun toys to play with"
Old 10-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #30
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I live with 3 small children--the tackiness of my yard is the least of my concerns. I don't know if I'd call them tacky, but even if you do, my kids enjoyment is worth more to me than others looking down on the appearance of my yard.
jen_batten is online now   Reply With Quote