Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #31
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
DS was special needs, so we got $27 a day for him. Before the new system was put in place, he was $25 a day, but it has been lowered now.

Advertisement

My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #32
CherryPie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Did you have to have a credit check to foster?

Here a level one kid gets almost $800 plus clothing allotment right after placement, WIC, free breakfast/lunch at school, health insurance for child, free state college for being in foster care, usually daycare stipend, and foster kids that get adopted usually get to keep the state insurance and the adoptive parents usually get monthly adoption assistance.

I am in a LCOL area-I think it is great that they don't skimp on this!
CherryPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #33
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Wow. Thats awesome! I really like that state schools thing! I don't think we have that.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #34
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No daycare stipend here. No college. I've heard mixed things on the keeping medical after adoption and no subsidy unless you can prove definite, current special needs .
Old 10-14-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Why mixed about medical? I think most people here just keep state as a secondary.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:01 PM   #36
WynneBabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I heard from one source you don't get to keep it unless there are medical issues to justify it, but another source said all kids adopted from foster care get it regardless.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynneBabies
I heard from one source you don't get to keep it unless there are medical issues to justify it, but another source said all kids adopted from foster care get it regardless.
State medical coverage?
Old 10-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #38
luvsviola
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS's sister's adoptive family got medical as secondary. It sucked for them because their kids are all grown, and now they have to pay for a family plan for a really long time (she is only 4), when they would have been able to each be single at their work. They got no adoption stipend. However, there was no way they were willing to give her up, and the state knew it and took advantage.

We have an amazing attorny, and we got $14 a day adoption stipend, and state medical, but DS has significant special needs, and is G-J fed. We told them that we could not afford to adopt him without state medical since we have an $8,000 deductible through DH's work (they eliminated PPOs, and only offer HSA high deductible plans). His medical supplies alone are almost $5,000 a month. That is before we start in on doctor/hospital/therapy bills.
My kids are no longer in diapers, but somehow, my computer keeps finding its way back here...

Last edited by luvsviola; 10-14-2012 at 10:11 PM.
luvsviola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:15 PM   #39
newmommy13
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsviola
DS's sister's adoptive family got medical as secondary. It sucked for them because their kids are all grown, and now they have to pay for a family plan for a really long time (she is only 4), when they would have been able to each be single at their work. They got no adoption stipend. However, there was no way they were willing to give her up, and the state knew it and took advantage.

We have an amazing attory, and we got $14 a day adoption stipend, and state medical, but DS has significant special needs, and is G-J fed. We told them that we could not afford to adopt him without state medical since we have an $8,000 deductible through DH's work (then eliminated PPOs, and only offer HSA high deductible plans). His medical supplies alone are almost $5,000 a month. That is before we start in on doctor/hospital/therapy bills.
I was wondering about this. I have heard you talk about a lawyer and wondered if it was to fight for a stipend. I am so glad you were able to get it!!! I think in WI we get the stipend after adoption if it is finalized after a certain age (2?) Bedside after that age the state considers it special needs. I think. Maybe that is medical? Any other WI mamas know?
Old 10-15-2012, 08:26 AM   #40
Msheidiann
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy13

I was wondering about this. I have heard you talk about a lawyer and wondered if it was to fight for a stipend. I am so glad you were able to get it!!! I think in WI we get the stipend after adoption if it is finalized after a certain age (2?) Bedside after that age the state considers it special needs. I think. Maybe that is medical? Any other WI mamas know?
There was some talk about this over on the foster care forum on adoption.com.

We just sent in our application for Thomas's AAP. I had no idea it would be so much, but I guess the base rate is the foster care rate. I had no idea. He gets to keep medi-cal too.

medi-cal kinda sucks though. Few pedis will even take a kid with medi-cal, so we will put him on our plan.