Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
Heather1583
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
flu vaccine for your kids?

Just looking for some honest advice. I do not want to start a big vaccine debate, but I honestly haven't thoroughly researched the reasons not to do it. I have vaccinated all of my kids on the normal schedule thus far, and my reasoning has been that I am a RN and I directly work with sick sick pts with pneumonia and the flu often. I am required to be up to date on my own vax. I have always been fearful that I will bring some of that funk home to my family, so I figured in my case it made sense to keep my kids vaccinated. Anyway I am just not sure I feel like that is the right thing to do anymore. My boys are 2.5 and 4.5, but my dd is only 9 months. The boys go to preschool and bring the usual bag of germs home with them once in a while. My husband will not get the flu vax (but really that is not because he is against them, its laziness )and I think he could care less either way if the kids did, so its useless to talk to him about it!
Sorry for the rambling and the back story, I guess I just want to know if you vaccinate your kids against the flu and why. If not, I would love to know a few good unbiased resources that are really fact based. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 11:16 AM   #2
shen7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
You are an RN and asking diaperswappers for vaccine advice?? That puzzles me tbh... if you want to find studies, I'd search pubmed, but I personally don't bother replicating the work of the CDC, a lot of expertise goes into the vaccination schedules so I just stick with that. No good reason not to, imo.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
my2sweets
Registered Users

My Mood:
I dont get it for the girls-we do get the reg childhood vaxs-for a couple of reasons. They guess which strains will be most likely to cause the most cases of the flu. I have a big problem with that for a few reasons...

The other major reason the girls and I dont get it is b/c I got the flu within 48hrs after the shot(all 3times Ive recieved it) and the one time dd1 got the shot(at 12mos so only half a dose) she was diganosed with the flu within 24hrs-worst flippen 2wks of my life. Dh does get the vax b/c he works in a hospital and its 'expected' of him. Last nov he got the shot and in march brought the flu home for him and the girls to enjoy... I never got it despite loving and cuddling them and the girls werent nearly as sick as when dd1 got the flu after the vax at 1.

Swagbucks. Search. Earn. Redeem. Yep, it's that simple (I've earned $70 in gift cards and counting!).

Last edited by my2sweets; 10-16-2012 at 11:32 AM.
my2sweets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
MommaLEB
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: flu vaccine for your kids?

Yes! My daughter goes to daycare, my husband works with autistic children in daycares, and in their homes. On top of all that I work in an urgent care clinic. We are exposed to way too much to risk getting something we could easily prevent! We all get them, though I am waiting until my second trimester to get mine, not that I'm particularly scared about it, but with all the meds I'm having to take to keep the m/s under control, I'd rather wait.

ETA: You can't get the flu from the flu shot, just FYI, however it doesn't full take effect until 2 weeks later, so you can certainly get the flu or another similar illness in that time frame.

Last edited by MommaLEB; 10-16-2012 at 11:38 AM.
MommaLEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
Done at 3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I vax on schedule but do not get the flu vax for myself or my kids. I just don't think it's necessary and isn't effective against all flu strains so I've never really seen the point of it.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:43 AM   #6
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We never do the flu shot
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
erlyjo
User requested temporary ban
seller
seller

My Mood:
I do not. They can't really predict what strains of flu will be prevalent while they are making the vaccine because they have to develop it so far ahead if time, so it may or may not protect you. I figure if it's not guaranteed to work, there is no sense in doing it!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
There must be a duplicate thread...

No we don't vax against the flu at our house. We had a horrible experience a few years back with the flu shot and everyone getting the flu (whether we got it in those 2wks or not) and I think it effected their immune system for months after! We haven't done the flu shot since and have managed to avoid the flu as well!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #9
JulieBeth
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Never have and never will get flu shots, for myself or the children.

Always in our hearts- 8/30/11, 11 weeks 4 days & 12/16/11, 5 weeks.
JulieBeth is offline   Reply With Quote