Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:36 PM   #1
bartstew
Registered Users

Please help...my 4yo is engaging in dangerous behavior

First she was playing with the cord on her shade so I removed that then she was picking at the paint (which in our 100 year old house - is probably toxic) and now she has decided to climb up and stand on the inside of the closed window ledge. I am freaking out. This is happening (as far as I know) during nap times (but could be at night). We have tried talking to her, taking things away and she has reported falling two times while trying to climb on the ledge. I tried talking to my husband about it, who is out of town, and he said when he gets back, we will have to re-arrange the room. That should be interesting since there is two kids worth of stuff in there and we will have to get everything away from the two windows. For now, I was thinking, twin mattress on the floor in the hallway or in bed with me (but I currently have a 3 mo with me in bed). Anyone else have a kid obsessed with windows? What did you do? Thanks

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Re: Please help...my 4yo is engaging in dangerous behavior

It sounds like she's curious and not actually TRYING to cause trouble. Is that the case? If so, maybe you could try to take some time and explain the dangers to her in terms she could understand. For instance, maybe go to another place in your house and drop an egg and let her see what happens to it. Then tell her that her brain is just as delicate, and ask "if the egg broke just from falling off the kitchen counter, what do you think could happen to YOU if you fall out of the window?" And let HER think about it and come to the right conclusion...

Other than that, the only good solution I see is rearranging everything.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
2+2macht4
Super Moderator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Location: In a quaint village smack in the middle of the black forest.

We have locks on the windows with keys so little ones cannot open them.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

When my 1yo started climbing out of the crib we took everything out except mattresses on the floor until he got used to it. Then we gave the bed frames back, but still have nothing else in there that he can climb. Their dresser is in the cliset and the nightlight is mounted on the wall with the cord going under the door and plugging in the hallway so he can't play with the outlet. Toys are in the living room. It's no fun but it works.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #5
mama_to_DJM
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiliki View Post
It sounds like she's curious and not actually TRYING to cause trouble.
I agree. She sounds just like my almost-4 year old daughter. She stands on her brothers' window ledge (by climbing on their bunk bed ladder), she shocked herself when she touched a wire that her brother stuck in an electrical outlet... not that those are good things, they're just things kids do out of curiosity, and most the time the kids don't get hurt. It's not possible to 100% child proof your house, although it is wise to do what you can. I'd love to try coming up with more advice, but said 4 year old is currently climbing on the couch! Good luck!

My cooking blog- http://michellesnewrecipes.blogspot.com/
mama_to_DJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

My friend lives in a two story, and she found her four year old standing on top of the sloped garage roof in his underpants recently, so she put a tension baby gate in the window so he can't open it, or fall through it. He still stands on the ledge though, and jumps from the ledge to his bed. They moved the bed... he jumps anyway, so they put the bed back.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
Anna0623
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My almost 5year old dd still does hings like the ones you described. I have to keep her where i can see her on her bad days. These are days where she thinks she is immortal and nothing she does will hurt her. She still has thise kind of days 1-2x a week and she has been doing these kinds of things since before she turned three. Now my ds who is not yet three is very careful and will even come to tell me when his sister is doig something that may get her hurt. Needless to say the kids are only allowed on the same floor as me and normally they have to be in the same room as well.
Anna0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #8
harmoni247
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

Yeah, my kids get hurt. I tell them not to do things, and they usually listen, but they are kids after all, and they climb and fall. Rinse, repeat. I try to save the real childproofing and discipline for life threatening curiosity.
harmoni247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #9
bartstew
Registered Users

Thanks mamas! Like many of you, we also have the windows locked and the child lock thingy that prevents them from opening them to far even if they were to get them opened. I talked to my mom and like some of you have said, she thinks she is probably just bored during nap. Also, this is her first year in preschool so maybe she is trying to practice things she has seen other kids have done on the playground. I definitely made it a point to say no more closed doors!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #10
misskira
Banned - User Requested
seller
seller

My Mood:

She may be ready to drop the nap... No chance for shenanigans during the nap and she will likely fall asleep quicker at night.
misskira is offline   Reply With Quote