Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:41 PM   #11
jaelynsmommy61607
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbird516

Do you mind telling me how much you paid OOP? We don't have dental insurance for him, only state health insurance.
State usually covers dental for kids. Tho Idk if they'd see him before 12 months.

Advertisement

jaelynsmommy61607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:43 AM   #12
jeebee
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: tongue tie/lip tie questions

My oldest daughter definitely has it. And had a bad latch which nobody could figure out why... and honestly now I think it was because of it. After 4 months nursing finally got better for me and the pain went away. She has a gap as well, and a few people on DH's side also are gappy. Including my BIL, MIL and her sister (who had ortho treatment as an adult due to it).

Anyhow, I still don't know if I would do anything about it right now. But I'm watching this thread.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #13
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 View Post
State usually covers dental for kids. Tho Idk if they'd see him before 12 months.
I guess I'll call the insurance company and ask, thanks!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:18 PM   #14
kateroc
Registered Users
seller

My youngest had a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie clipped when he was 3 wks old (discovered it b/c of nursing problems). Insurance covered some ridiculously small amount -- maybe $60 out of the $500ish it cost.

In hindsight, I now realize that my oldest has the tongue and lip tie too. We didn't realize, when he was an infant, that they were the reason for his poor nursing. We've never done anything about either of them and he doesn't have any speech or dental issues.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

I personally have a lip tie and never realized it until I was in my late 20s and was researching lip/tongue ties for my kids.

My DS did have a tongue tie that had to have surgery under GA b/c it wasn't discovered until 15 mos, corrected at 17 mos.

From my reading, people who have or had lip ties/tongue ties themselves are more likely to have kids with these issues, and somehow the lip and tongue ties are related - like if your child has one, they are likely to have the other (or some such thing, it was a while ago...).

Personally, my lip tie does not affect my speech. My teeth are downright horrendous, but that is b/c of improper nutrition during my primary growing years, and not b/c of the lip tie. It doesn't hurt me, and I will likely never have it corrected unless I need it for some strange reason. I think mine must have stretched quite a bit b/c it is attached at the bottom of my upper lip, and at the bottom of my gums between my two front teeth. I do NOT have a gap between my front teeth, and no decay in my front teeth caused from it.

I suspect my 18 mo old may have a bit of one, but until I see some affects from it, I will leave it be.
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #16
AniMommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just realized from reading this thread that I have a lip tie. I thought everyone had skin there.

I'm 39 and haven't had any issues with it. Pretty sure I was even bf as a baby.

I do have a gap in my front teeth, I had braces but it opened back. Now, I can tell my mother it wasn't a failure to wear my retainer but her faulty genetics!
AniMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Kiliki
Registered Users
Formerly: kr***y
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AniMommy View Post
I just realized from reading this thread that I have a lip tie. I thought everyone had skin there.

I'm 39 and haven't had any issues with it. Pretty sure I was even bf as a baby.

I do have a gap in my front teeth, I had braces but it opened back. Now, I can tell my mother it wasn't a failure to wear my retainer but her faulty genetics!
ROFL!

I do think everyone has that flap of skin there. But I think the problems occur depending on the location and how tight it is. Sounds like yours might have created a gap for you!
Kiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM   #18
MsGiggles
Registered Users

My Mood:

Both my girls had lip-ties as infants. One nursed great, the other didn't and was diagnosed with a tongue-tie, too. Didn't have ANY ties fixed (just practiced latching/positioning better on my side etc), and they are doing great, teeth aren't too far spaced yet, etc. A lot can change in their mouth as they grow up. (my 8-mo DD with the diagnosed tongue-tie sticks her tongue out past her chin now!) I totally understand trying to nip things in the bud earlier/before they are going to remember it, etc.

ETA:I too have a lip-tie, but it has risen higher in my mouth and hasn't caused any spacing issues.

Last edited by MsGiggles; 10-15-2012 at 02:59 PM.
MsGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #19
menthomas
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Update from dr: don't worry about it. He said he's consulted with several ents and they don't clip now. There's conflicting stories about clipping/helping stop gapped teeth. So he said its completely nothing and don't worry.

So that's one man's opinion.
menthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM   #20
songbird516
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by menthomas View Post
Update from dr: don't worry about it. He said he's consulted with several ents and they don't clip now. There's conflicting stories about clipping/helping stop gapped teeth. So he said its completely nothing and don't worry.

So that's one man's opinion.
Thanks for the update! it's hard to know what to do when there are so many differing opinions..