Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'm so sorry mama ):

This shouldn't even be something you're dealing with. Your church should make you feel comfortable, welcomed, and showered with acceptance.

Sometimes people lose sight of what they actually go to church for. Take the advice of the ladies above and let those women/the pastor know that legally you are protected and technically you are being harassed.

Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
junebug2311
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, and
Old 10-16-2012, 07:07 PM   #13
flufflovinmama
Registered Users

I'm sorry you are dealing with this! I agree, you should feel comfortable at church, and the older women should be trying to support a younger mother! I guess it is appropriate for the pastor to talk to you with your husband present, but I do have a bad feeling he isn't on your side. There are so many more important things about church and loving people. There should not even be time to consider such petty things. Hugs
flufflovinmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:50 PM   #14
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Angry.. another "nursing in church" vent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
Given the fact that he wants to discuss it in person "with" my husband ... makes me think he's going to take their side. And then I'm not sure what I'll do.... I usually love my church and all the people in it... but if he agrees with them and says that I can't (or shouldn't) nurse in service, then either we need to find a new church or I'll stay home while hubby takes the kids, until she gets old enough to be on a more predictable schedule.

God bless!
Mama, this is ridiculous. You should be protected by common sense, but since that's not the case, fortunately you're also protected by law, and if your pastor is dense enough to ask you not to nurse, you'll need to inform him of this. If I were in your shoes and were told by a pastor not to nurse in his church, I would be so disgusted with the church in general and would have no desire to continue going there, but would probably stick around a few weeks longer and nurse just like normal, just to make a point.

And...you should definitely nurse during the meeting with your pastor
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
mibarra
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teexie

Mama, this is ridiculous. You should be protected by common sense, but since that's not the case, fortunately you're also protected by law, and if your pastor is dense enough to ask you not to nurse, you'll need to inform him of this. If I were in your shoes and were told by a pastor not to nurse in his church, I would be so disgusted with the church in general and would have no desire to continue going there, but would probably stick around a few weeks longer and nurse just like normal, just to make a point.

And...you should definitely nurse during the meeting with your pastor
I agree. If he's going to try and stop you, Id just calmly tell him you are extremely disappointed he feels feeding your child the way God intended is socially unacceptable, and even though you have a legal right to nurse anywhere, you'd much rather find a more family friendly church that actually supports of new mothers.
mibarra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
m0mof6
Registered Users

My Mood:
He might be asking for your husband to be there simply because you are a woman and he's discussing breast feeding with you. Husband being there makes it OK iykwim
m0mof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:13 PM   #17
BeccaSueCongdon
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0mof6
He might be asking for your husband to be there simply because you are a woman and he's discussing breast feeding with you. Husband being there makes it OK iykwim
This was my assumption too. Let us know how it goes.

If they had at least owned their discomfort and asked to find a mutually agreeable solution I'd feel differently. But to harass you and make it about you being INAPPROPRIATE is ridiculous.
BeccaSueCongdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM   #18
tygr2410
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Jesus was breast fed....just say'n

perhaps you need to bring a nursing cover, to put over the uncomfortable guy.....or this one....(j/k...mostly)

Old 10-16-2012, 09:23 PM   #19
neuro_mom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you are having to deal w/ other people's ignorance and/or stupidity.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr2410 View Post
Jesus was breast fed....just say'n

perhaps you need to bring a nursing cover, to put over the uncomfortable guy.....or this one....(j/k...mostly)

That would be so funny on a shirt.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote