Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 AM   #21
Shaunam
Registered Users

Re: Head Start...home visits? UPDATE in OP

That's really weird. I wonder why they didn't clarify that the home visit took place at the school. I would have made the same mistake and I'd be seriously questioning their ability to organize things enough to teach my child.

FWIW, when my DD did preschool through head start, we DID have home visits (actual ones ) where we'd discuss what we were going to do for the upcoming school year and schedule IEPs, that sort of thing.

Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #22
jessicalev8
Registered Users
seller

My daughter is in head start and we just did our "home" visit at the school. We basically just went over goals and stuff. It could have been done at my house but it was easier to just go ahead and do it while I was there for her birthday. It's not a big deal at all!
Old 10-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #23
kanga1622
Registered Users

Head Start here does home visits in the home on a regular basis. Nothing majorly crazy, just an opportunity to visit and discuss any concerns on either side. I know they often cover doctor, dentist, eye doctor, etc. type of information so if anyone needs assistance in arranging or paying for those services, Head Start can help guide them to the clinics that offer sliding scale fees or accept Medicaid.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #24
HillbillyMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgirlohboyohno View Post

UPDATE>>>>>
SO, I scheduled our appointment for 9 am (so I could get home after taking the kids to school at 8)...I thought it was kind of weird that all the teachers were still there...but didn't really put 2 and 2 together...so at 9:20 the teacher calls me..."MsS. are you coming to our home visit today?"....I said yeah, I am here at home waiting"....she says "Oh we do them here at the school".....I said oh the note said "home visit".....she didn't understand how I could have messed that up .....so we did it over the phone.

Um, unless things have changed (which I HIGHLY doubt) your visit should have been at YOUR HOUSE, unless you specifically requested for it to be at the center...We would have got our chops straight busted for that!! In fact, our county monitor would pick 3-4 families per Family Partner to "interview" about their home visits, and if we had more than one at the center, without a proper reason, we got in serious trouble....

Join me at Viewpoint, to make $$$ taking simple surveys!!!
HillbillyMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 PM   #25
Pyrodjm
Registered Users
seller
seller

DD1's headstart has me fill out a home visit form and return it. I think I may have mentioned something about it being an inconvenience for them to come to my home when she started last year. No one gave me a hard time or mentioned it again.
Pyrodjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #26
~Laura~
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Here in Iowa, it's mandatory to do 2 home visits a year for kids in qualifying 4yo preschool programs. It's because the state pays up to $2K (or something similar) for any 4yo in a qualifying program. I don't think it's legal to not actually do a home visit at home. I might consider reporting it.
But the home visit is just to see what the LO is like in their home environment.

Read about our homeschool journey here.
~Laura~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #27
norrahsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Dd's teachers came over today for a home visit. She is in a 3 year old program that is funded through our Community Action Project and they do at least 1 home visit a year. They were here for about 15 minutes, gave me some papers with their observations of where dd is currently, and where she should be by August. They didn't look around, snoop, anything like that, just came in, said hi to dd and talked and then left.

Now, the school disctrict is a whole different matter. They sent a police officer to make sure my residence is the address I put down, and I had to give check stubs, credit card statements and bills with that address or dd wouldn't be allowed to attend school in their district.
Lacee- Mommy to my girls Norrah(4/09) and Naomi(1/13) Expecting #3 (10/14)

norrahsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote