Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM   #1
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Please help me!!! I need a baby sling & I'm clueless

I am in need of a baby sling. I have a seven sling just to test out the waters of using a sling and I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT! I think I may of ordered it too big and it cuts at the side of my neck. Then I was thinking maybe I wasn't doing it right but it's not that difficult... or is it? I'm short so I'm thinking the size isn't right for me, which happens ALOT with almost everything

So my question is... what should I get? I don't like the look of the backpack looking slings. I think I'd more so like a wrap style or one that has an adjustable ring? Please help me decide and maybe steer me in the direction of where to buy? (Maybe some of you have some on here?)

Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #2
MonkeyBean415
Registered Users
Formerly: Coastiefam415
seller
seller

Re: Please help me!!! I need a baby sling & I'm clueless

Pouch slings (like the seven sling) are really tricky because if the sizing isn't perfect the carrier is useless. In order for these to truly work IMO is to have on custom made to your measurements. That said I wouldn't recommend that type of carrier. I love woven wraps for their versatility but ring slings are another great option. If you want to be able to wear on the front, back or hip I'd suggest a size 6 woven wrap.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #3
JennTheMomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

For starters the Sevensling is made poorly, so it's not you momma. I've been babywearing for 5 years and I hate the Sevensling and would never suggest it.

Woven wraps are great. They are very sturdy and versatile. They also come in so many different colors, patterns and fabric blends. A ring sling is also a great choice. Easy to learn, easy to take on and off and fits in a purse. With both of those suggestions there is a learning curve, but practicing for a week or so and you'll be a natural
JennTheMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
SamanthaLove88
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennTheMomma View Post
For starters the Sevensling is made poorly, so it's not you momma. I've been babywearing for 5 years and I hate the Sevensling and would never suggest it.

Woven wraps are great. They are very sturdy and versatile. They also come in so many different colors, patterns and fabric blends. A ring sling is also a great choice. Easy to learn, easy to take on and off and fits in a purse. With both of those suggestions there is a learning curve, but practicing for a week or so and you'll be a natural
Thanks for such great advice! So this is the one I'm looking into: http://www.etsy.com/listing/97920284...p-carrier-airy

Does this look like a good, promising one?

I like that it's breathable, as my son gets hot very easily and the print is my absolute favorite
Old 10-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you really want to try a wrap, head over to thebabywearer.com. Check out Choosing and Using a Woven Wrap, and Wrappers Paradise, to get a jist of the terminology. Then dive into FSOT and look for a size 6 wrap in colors you love. Here are some nice ones to consider:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...-Leo-Green-4.6
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...-pancy-6-7-110
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...indio-6-105ppd
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...isca-Sambuco-6
A few good ones here:
http://www.thebabywearer.com/forum/s...-new-560cm-135

Ohhh! Just found this one on FSOT here:
http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/....php?t=1450835

Last edited by thtr4me; 10-11-2012 at 05:39 PM.
thtr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
luv2clothbabies
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamanthaLove88 View Post
Thanks for such great advice! So this is the one I'm looking into: http://www.etsy.com/listing/97920284...p-carrier-airy

Does this look like a good, promising one?

I like that it's breathable, as my son gets hot very easily and the print is my absolute favorite
I think you would really like that wrap. I have one very similar to this one, but it is stretchy. For newborn/younger babies I love the stretchy ones, but i noticed as my guy got heavier, I would prefer a non-stretchy fabric as it continues to stretch and sag as I'm wearing him. This wasn't till he was about 25lbs though. Takes a little bit to get the hang of putting it on, but practice a few times and you'll get the hang of it! Hope you find something that works for you!
luv2clothbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #7
DragonnMama
Registered Users
seller

Yep, I totally agree -- start of with a Moby for a newborn (SO easy to use, and cheap) and then after he or she hits 20 lbs or so switch to a woven for rucksack carries. Of course, you can always start with a woven, but they are a bit harder to get perfect. The Moby is pretty foolproof once you get the wrap down.
DragonnMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
chloecat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

ringslings are great for newbies. easily adjustable and you can use the tail as a nursing cover if you desire or the cover the baby when you're outside if it gets too cold or hot/sunny

do you have any baby stores near you that sell different kinds that you'd be able to go try some on?? that's the best way or a moms group that would be into natural parenting and let you have a try on fest!!
Old 10-17-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Seven Slings are pretty awful. BUT if you want to make it a little less awful while you wait on another carrier to come, search "pouch sling shoulder flip".

I have a few old, size Hotslings that I adore for certain situations and they are so much more comfortable if I flip the shoulder.

There are great tutorials out there, but you put it on normally and then the top edge that is rubbing your neck you pull down and flip inside out over the ball of your shoulder.
L J is offline   Reply With Quote