Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
mommatomymiracle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question about tying Mei Tai

So, I'm kinda new to babywearing, since my 3-month old baby didn't really like the Moby, and I don't want to use the Bjorn we were given, due to its being known for causing hip issues. But I wasn't ready to give up, because my DS loves being held.

I bought a Freehand Mei Tai as well as a ring sling from some lovely mamas here on DS, and the Mai Tei came in the mail today. I was SO excited!

So, DS was fine until I wrapped the sash under his legs, but I read after the fact that they can be tied closer to the material, and I may need to make sure his hips are rotated properly.

I do have a question, though -- can Freehand Mei Tais be tied in the front after criss-crossing in the back, without being brought under his legs? Other brands seem to okay this, and I've found multiple descriptions (on other sites) of the Freehand allowing this, but not on their site directly. It does say:

Quote:
Q: I weigh 100 lbs and my husband weighs 300; will this carrier fit us both?
A: YES! Because the FreeHand Mei Tai is a tie-on style carrier, the only limitations are that your waist is less than 50-55 inches in diameter.
So that makes me think that a larger person wouldn't be able to tie it in the back (I barely can, and I'm not that large) and would have to tie it in the front.

Here's what I've read elsewhere, and they're referring to the Freehand specifically:

Quote:
You simply tie the FreeHand on like an apron, hold your baby on your chest, and pull the carrier snugly up around them, cross the straps behind your back and tie them in front. Please view our online instructions for video instruction on how to use a FreeHand.
But the video only shows it being tied around the back with the extra step, not the front.

Any idea? Thanks, mamas!

Advertisement

mommatomymiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
shivie239
Registered Users

I don't know anything about tying these. Sorry mama but I would recommend searching YouTube. I looked there when I wanted to learn how to tie my Mei tie and found oodles of stuff. Good luck to you.
shivie239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
Sigkap714
Registered Users
seller

Re: Question about tying Mei Tai

I'm not sure exactly how you're tying, but here is my favourite link for learning mei tais. If you still have trouble, feel free to either post pictures here or PM me with them so I can try to help you out.

There's also a Houston babywearing group with meetings all over the city that should be able to give you hands on help.

Good luck and just keep trying. Mei tais are my favourites.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
mommatomymiracle
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigkap714 View Post
I'm not sure exactly how you're tying, but here is my favourite link for learning mei tais. If you still have trouble, feel free to either post pictures here or PM me with them so I can try to help you out.

There's also a Houston babywearing group with meetings all over the city that should be able to give you hands on help.

Good luck and just keep trying. Mei tais are my favourites.
I wanted to thank you for the link you shared! It definitely was very helpful! I wore DS last weekend for a little while, and I caught him at the perfect time because he was sleepy and fell asleep.

I think part of the problem is that he loves to be held, but he's holding his head up now and prefers to be held up so his head is by my shoulder, so he can really look around. I think/hope once he's bigger and his head is fully peeking out of the Mei Tai he'll like it better. We can hope!
(#1 natural hospital birth, Bradley Method; #2 home water birth)
Missing our m/c angel (6/08)
CDing, BFing, BWing, etc. Semi-Crunchy WAHM social media consultant
ISO Ju-Ju-Be, Petunia Pickle Bottom, etc. bags
mommatomymiracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
thtr4me
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If the MT panel is too tall, you can always roll the waistband once so it is shorter and he can see out better. I did this for my sister when she had her baby. Just keep working at it. I wore DS2 almost from day one, and since it was all he knew, he was just used to it. But he did express a preference for having his head free with nothing touching the back of his head, so I made sure to wrap in a way that he could have his head free.